“Great View and thats about it.....”

Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 170 Restaurants in New Bern
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front St
New Bern, North Carolina
“Great View and thats about it.....”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We wanted to give them benefit of the doubt that’s why this review comes after our third visit. Don’t get me wrong the food tastes very good but it comes with disappointments, as I will explain.

1st Visit
Valentines day dinner: We had a late reservation so by the time we arrived, it was not very crowded and there were many empty tables. Another couple come in for the same I suppose good food and romantic conversation. BUT the hostess placed them at the table next to us.

The romantic conversation was put on hold as they looked around and saw plenty of private spots they could have been placed. They did ask to be moved to a more private table instead of sitting almost in out laps and who can blame them. We would have done the very same.

2nd Visit
Our joint Birthday visit (Bdays only two days apart): Reserved a table with a ‘water view’ and was placed in the middle, no other tables available informed (although we made reservations well in advance). OK we will not let that deter us and on with the birthday meal. My wife ordered the medium well Tuna steak and when arrived, I could have soled my boots with it, texture of leather and very overcooked. The manager came around all of the tables and asked how was the food was. We explained the above that it was overcooked but he made no comment, just walked off to the next table

3rd Visit
You might say the straw that broke the camels back. We were given upstairs seating with a very good water view and where the A/C does not blast you out (like it does downstairs) but it went downhill from there.

The Menu and specials did offer nice selections, including Peach Cobble for desert and sounded yummy, also a “pick four’ from the sides in case someone wanted a vegan/vegetarian meal. A nice sounding Peach cobbler was the dessert special. I ordered one of the fish dishes and it was fine. My wife chose the Pick 4 and ordered the following: Garlic spinach, quinoa with pine nuts and cranberry salad, mixed vegetables, and the summer squash special. Here’s what she received:
Rice pilaf, broccoli, and a zucchini, summer squash, onion mix. The waitress was informed of the error. She read back the order she had originally taken and it was correct. She was very apologetic and went to the kitchen to correct the order. Order number 2 came…..quinoa salad and more zucchini, squash and onion. No spinach and no mixed vegetables. Order requested again…received the spinach. We just gave up on the mixed vegetables. Or maybe it was the summer squash special that was never received. It’s hard to say. The next thing we received was the check. No mention was made of whether we wanted the peach cobbler. I guess they were ready for us to go. Personally I think the peach cobbler should have been on the house being they charged close to $20.00 for the 3 vegetables.

Clayton, North Carolina, United States
“So-So”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I were celebrating our 30th anniversary and wanted something special. Really didn't get it at Persimmons. Food was about average in taste, preparation and presentation, although a bit costlier than other places in town.
Although the location is superb, there's a "corporate" feel to the place... almost a bit sterile.
The server had to refer to notes for the daily specials, and didn't seem well trained.
We've been in New Bern for a week now, and have had some good/great meals. This was not one of them.
Save your money/time and go elsewhere.

Columbus OH
“Nice location, mediocre food”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were walking around New Bern on a nice day and were drawn to this because of the location, hadn't read any reviews. Sat out on the deck which was nice. My husband had a crabcake sandwich which was heavy on filling, light on crab and deep fried. Not good. I had fish tacos which were supposed to be made with wild caught flounder. The fish was in small pieces and I think it was actually escolar. The taste was ok, not great but within an hour of eating I had a serious upset stomach. If you want to sit and have a drink on the river it's a nice place for that but I'd suggest eating somewhere else.

1 Thank mebohio
Virginia
“The view is great”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Better than the food which is just ok, we were going to go to The Chelsea but this was closer.
My husband had the fish and chips and they were ok and I had the fish tacos which were good.
The wine was the best.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good food, service... not so much.”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I dined at Persimmons while visiting New Bern, celebrating our first anniversary. We chose Persimmons based on a recommendation. We were quickly seated, although the hostess seemed hesitant to seat us near the water despite more than 5 empty tables. Once seated we were quickly greeted. We requested water, which tasted like it had come out of the river. Terrible! I had the red snapper and my husband chose the spinach lasagna. Our food was fresh, flavorful, well presented and servings were generous. We were disappointed that our server came to the table while we were still eating dinner to ask "You're not going to want dessert, right?" From a former servers standpoint, that's a poor way to ask such a question. She then proceeded to leave the check on our table! While we were still eating! Bad, bad, move. We weren't in a rush, there were plenty of empty tables and it wasn't near closing time. That made us feel rushed and unwelcome. We will certainly try a different place the next time we're in New Bern.

• Visited May 2013