“Great steak, cocktails, view and music!”

Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 175 Restaurants in New Bern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front St
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We ate here twice during our visit to New Bern, once for lunch on the patio and again for dinner with a group of 10. Living in the UK, I find it impossible to get a good cocktail. We really enjoyed the manhattans and old fashions. The burgers and sweet potato fries were great! So flavorful! We called to make a dinner reservation for 10 following a family funeral. We requested outdoor seating and were all looking forward to the nice weather on the deck. When we arrived we were told that outdoor tables could not be reserved due to the band playing. We were all very disappointed and wished that we had been told this up front on the phone. Other than that, we enjoyed good steaks and seafood and drinks. Following dinner my husband and I found a table on the deck and enjoyed the band. Great music and atmosphere!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

A lovely location and with live music on Thursday nights overlooking the water. On the two occasions I went I would rate my experience "inconsistent". The service ranged from needing to get up to get their attention to them being at our elbow. Inside is quite noisy and the wait time for drinks is longer than average. As for the food, the first time I had the best fish tacos I've ever eaten. The second, I had the Opah. The fish was scrumptious but the vegies were overly salted and detracted from the overall flavor of the meal. I will say that the presentation of the food was superb. Given the prices, management should work on these issues to bring the overall level from just average up to where they can offer other restaurants in town some real competition.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stopped in for a quick lunch this past Sunday. I sat at the bar, and Lindsay the bartender was very friendly and accommodating. I ordered the fish tacos which came out very promptly. They were okay, but very bland. One of the managers is a former employer of mine, and she said very rude and untrue things about me to the bartender with the full intention of me hearing them. She even used the F-word. Regardless of what this person feels happened in the past, I found it very unprofessional that a manager in a "fine dining" restaurant would speak towards a paying customer that way. I will not be returning.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

On our first visit, after hearing much hype from others and local news articles we were definitely "underwhelmed". The waiting area was extremely crowded, as was the bar. The bartender definitely had an attitude and it took forever to get a drink while waiting. After finally getting seated, we started with an appetizer which seemed as though it would never arrive. After waiting for almost 20 minutes, we heard one of the servers on the other side of the room calling "anyone order grilled scallops" which turned out to be ours. Once it was served, it was very good. It turned out to be the only good thing the entire evening. I ordered the "fresh tuna" which I am sure was frozen. It was also cold! Not a pleasant evening at all.

Our second trip was at the invitation of friends who wanted to thank us for a favor we had done for them, so we couldn't suggest going elsewhere. In any event, we decided to give the place another chance. In all fairness, it turned out to be a very average experience and were it not for this evening I would have given the place the lowest rating possible.

In my opinion, you can take a chance on this place or increase your odds of having a good experience and go to Chelsea (my favorite).

Reviewed September 18, 2012

A note on our ratings: we strive to compare restaurants with others in their class. In this case we consider Persimmons to be a crossover elegant-casual / fine-dining establishment and rated it accordingly. Were we to rate it against all restaurants in New Bern it would receive a five.

As with the general restaurant scene in downtown New Bern, this restaurant exceeded our expectations. It has a great setting directly on the river, with ample free parking. In fact the whole restaurant is built over the water, and there is mooring on three sides for those who wish to arrive by boat. There also is plenty of outdoor seating, and adequate indoor seating.

The restaurant claims to emphasize fresh ingredients locally sourced, and we had nothing that would cause us to doubt this. We both had the blackened fennel dusted sea scallop over a hominy grit puree with pea tendrils and a blood orange coulis as a starter; it was excellent, the three large scallops perfectly cooked and full of flavor. Having had nothing but seafood for over a week, I decided to order the pan-seared Muscovy duck breast finished with a soy caramel glaze. This honestly was one of the best duck breast preparations I have ever tasted, including numerous trips to France. My wife chose to “graze” and ordered two appetizers in lieu of an entrée: Carolina cornmeal dusted oysters, and garam masala cornmeal dusted okra. Both were also excellent. The appetizer portions were all quite generous (the entrée portion was completely adequate, but arguably not as proportionately large as the appetizers). The wine selection was intelligently selected and mostly moderately priced.
We should also note that there is a fairly extensive more casual, and less expensive, menu called the “dockside” menu. The menus can be viewed on the restaurant’s web site.

The only minor issues we would raise are:
• They should consider optional umbrellas (optional in the sense that they can be raised or closed), or some method of protection, for at least some of the outdoor tables. Only three of the outdoor tables are covered. The evening we ate there, there were several intervals of light rainfall and while we were fortunate to obtain of the few covered outdoor tables, most of the seating was unusable.
• They need to coordinate their delivery better. My wife received all three of her dishes at the same time, well after I received my appetizer. (Curiously, this theme was a problem throughout our mini-vacation).