“Very good for a hotel rest.”

Christoph's on the Water
Ranked #29 of 173 Restaurants in New Bern
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have eaten here several times, with guests, special functions, & even with my spouse. The good is very good for a small hotel. The view of the Trent river is very nice. They host pool party stuff if you are a bit younger than me & looking to 'hook up'. But if you just want a nice meal or a well done special event, go for it. I have never been disappointed.

DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at Christoph's on the Water, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Good Afternoon

Thank you for the review of our restaurant and for sharing your experience which I am so happy to know you enjoyed. I would encourage you to come enjoy our Thursday evening Jazz night in our lounge or perhaps our Sunday evening Jazz on our deck in the spring/summer months. I hope we get an opportunity to serve you again. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Carol and I were staying at the Doubletree Hilton while we attended the East Carolina Diocese meeting at the New Bern Convention Center. We had breakfast at this restaurant on Friday morning (2/7).

They had an excellent buffet bar along with a regular breakfast menu. I had one of the omelette selection and it was excellent, good size and full of cheese, sausage and mushrooms. Carol had eggs and toast. The service was good and timely.

The only negative was the temperature in the restaurant was quite cool.

Good Afternoon

Thank you so much for the review of our restaurant and for sharing your experience. I have brought the concern of the temperature of the restaurant to the attention of our General Manager, Chief of Engineering and our Food & Beverage Manager so that in the future all of our guests are comfortable with the climate. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

This was our second visit to the restaurant since it has been under this management. Erin, our server was great, and she and the kitchen were very responsive to our requests. We found the quality, quantity, and preparation of dinner food was at least the equal of the many restaurants in the downtown New Bern area, and the pricing generally better than most of the competition.
Two points that need some fine tuning... the hostess needs to understand that even on a quiet night, she needs to be at the front of the room, not in the back room reading her book. There is a need for some found baffles in the dining room as it only takes one loud party to fill the room with noise.

Good Afternoon

Thank you for the review of our restaurant and I am so happy to know that Erin and your server were attentive to your needs and made you feel welcomed. I have brought the issue of the hostess to the attention of our General Manager and our Food & Beverage Manager so that this can be addressed immediately as it is not what we would expect from our staff. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have dined here a couple of times and the food and service have always been excellent. I was surprised to read some of the reviews of poor service but have never encountered a problem in the dining room. Erin has been our waitress both times and she is knowledgeable, friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Our last trip to Christoph's we ordered the 5 Cheese Flatbread Pizza app - superb! For my main course, I had the special: chicken & shrimp w/pineapple-ginger glaze - heavenly! My husband had the duck and followed the chef's recommendation on preparation - he was very pleased! Prices are right for the quality and quantity of food. We are anxious to try their brunch. As an aside re: "service" issues others may have experienced -- we have had numerous problems when dining or having cocktails in the summer on the deck especially when there is entertainment. Seems the wait staff for the outside is not as well trained and up to speed as those in the dining room.

Good Afternoon

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your experience at our property. I am so happy to know you enjoyed the food we are happy to serve and our dining room staff. I have brought the issues with service on our deck to the attention of our General Manager and our Food and Beverage Manager so that we can address this and make sure we offer the same level of service we all expect. Have a great day!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We live here and over the years have eaten here many times. It's a hotel chain and has changed hands a few times. We keep going back because the food is good and the location is perfect. Service is another thing and it has always been that way. The buffet is good and only $10.00, they even make you waffles and omlettes on request. Best kept secret in town. I haven't figured out why the service is so slow, it must be the kitchen. We return again and again and they are good.

Good Afternoon

Thank you so much for your review and I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your meal with us and all that the view has to offer. I hope we have the pleasure of you coming again. Have a wonderful day!