“First Visit”
Review of 247 Craven

247 Craven
Reserve with OpenTable
247 Craven is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 170 Restaurants in New Bern
Cross street: Pollock
North Carolina
“First Visit”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

247 Craven was recommended to us by friends of friends who used to live in New Bern. We're glad we tried it and would likely pay a return visit. Overall, the food was very good and our waiter was attentive. The atmosphere, a small dining room in the heart of downtown is generally what we enjoy and 247 Craven didn't disappoint. My wife ordered their version of a pork tenderloin which was done to near perfection, accented by a truly southern delicacy, a pickled peach. (Something I read about recently while re-reading a book about rural southern life in the 1920s)

I ordered the risotto topped with scallops, shrimp and lump crab meat. The seafood items were fresh and tasty. My only criticism would be the risotto itself. I thought it was just a bit on the bland tasting side. My own versions and those of my daughter, who is an excellent home chef, have a much bolder flavor and nutty texture. (Trade secret: we base ours on Giada DiLaurentis' recipes)

We're finding that many restaurants featuring new southern style cuisine rely heavily on pickled accents and relishes and 247 Craven seems to fall into that category. Personally, I'm not a huge fan, but that's just me.

The restaurant offers patrons a nice evening out with relatively inventive meal preps. When in New Bern, give it a try.

• Visited August 2014

New Bern, North Carolina
“Wine Dinners Are The Way To Go!”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We enjoyed a wine dinner a while back and had a great time enjoying wine pairings with a very creative menu! We have eaten here a few times in the last 6 months and enjoyed the normal menu. But I recommend attending a wine dinner because Chef Ashley does a terrific job of blending his creativeness in the kitchen with his wine providers. The reason I'm giving only 4 stars is because this particular wine dinner started late due to waiting for some people. I wouldn't have been concerned over a few minutes, but a half hour is too long. To his credit, Ashley did bring out some apps and broke out some wine. We enjoyed some very interesting courses like asparagus, 75 degree egg and crispy speck, as well as braised oxtail and other unusual dishes. If you're a bit adventurous, I highly recommend trying a 247 Craven Wine Dinner. Additionally, this wine provider was very entertaining and made the evening a lot of fun. And the wine pours were quite generous! We'll definitely attend another!

• Visited May 2014
Oriental, North Carolina
“Great birthday dinner”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

My wife and a young German friend visiting us all share birthdays in August and decided to have a joint celebration dinner. We have eaten here 3 times before. The service is still excellent and on an uncrowded Tuesday evening even better. We had 3 different fish entrees: scallops, bouillabaisse and salmon. All were paired perfectly with fresh vegetables grown locally. Add in a nice bottle of Prosecco and it was a very fun evening. With 1 dessert, 2 small plates and a martini the tab was $150 with tax before tip. I think 2 small plates (or large appetizers) would suffice for most diners. Our small plate of cheese and crackers and pork belly and lettuce would have served 4 easily. So enjoy your birthdays folks and have a good time.

• Visited August 2014
New Bern, North Carolina
“Creative Cuisine”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This small restaurant in downtown New Bern has a pleasant feel, a nice wood bar and a chef who should be in a much bigger city, but those who live here really hope he stays. Ashley Moser is as creative with a variety of cuisines as any chef I have sampled in Raleigh, D.C., NYC or beyond.
They serve lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday and brunch on Sunday. And, once a month, they feature a special wine dinner that focuses on the cuisine and wine of a particular country or region. If you can get to one of these, do not miss the chance.
We attended a Portuguese wine dinner recently and it was superb. The first course was a light fried bacalhau (cod) fish fritter and second course was caldo verde, a classic Portuguese soup based on greenery (kale here) with the added touches of cauliflower, liguica (sausage) and thin fried cornbread. The wines for each were a Spanish reserve Brut (Portugal has no real bubbly wine) and a nice medium light white from the famous Douro wine region of northern Portugal. The third course was lobster with a piri piri sauce (spicy and flavorful), fennel and arugula. The two wines were a Vinho Verde and a lovely Douro red. Carne de porco A'Alentejana (classic Portuguese shredded pork and clams) was the fourth course, with duck fat potato sections and another fine Douro red wine. The fifth and final course was hanger steak Con un Buo A Cavalo with mushrooms, accompanied by a slight sweet Quinta de Garrida Vinho Tinto. Every guest looked very happy when they left.

• Visited July 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent place for locals and guests alike;”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Terrific food in a freindly atmosphere.. fun bar.... southern specialties were a hit. located right in the middle of town.

Visited July 2014