“Ditto”
Review of Courtyard New Bern

Courtyard New Bern
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Reviewed September 30, 2007

My client booked me here for a two night stay when I came to town last week. I'd hoped to be at the "big chain" place down the street with the fullscale restaurant and bar.

Boy was I glad he put me here.

Great place. Quiet. Staff is awesome. Clean. Neighborhood has funky little local restaurants within walking distance.

I'm coming back...and bringing my family.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Layover

Reviewed September 29, 2007

Took my wife for a weekend in New Bern and the Comfort Suites was a wonderful place to stay. King Bed room with a balcony overlooking the water was clean and had plenty of space. Seemed to have been recently painted, and they were finishing painting the hallways on our floor, so everything looked nice. The microwave and a decent sized refrigerator in the room was a nice surprise. Continental breakfast was better than at most hotels, and included a waffle maker and a good selection of fruit, fresh and sliced. Staff was outstanding, helpful from making the reservation (I usually call a property directly for reservations, rather than the nationwide number) to check in and help with local restaurants and attractions, to check out and directions to our next stop. One of the best things about the hotel was the location, with some great restaurants and attractions within a few blocks. We mainly parked the car and enjoyed the walks.

One thing to watch out for is the drive in - the bridge that takes you right to Front Street is closed for repair. It isn't a problem, you just go to the next exit, make 2 turns and you are there, but if you rely on mapquest or a GPS navigator, you will find yourself looking at road closed signs. A call to the hotel got me there with no problems.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scarroll76
Reviewed September 20, 2007

We stayed four nights at the Comfort Suites recently while attending a conference at the nearby convention center. The location is excellent, just across from the convention center and a block from downtown. River side rooms have nice views onto the river. The staff was very pleasant and very helpful, making sure we had everything we needed. The breakfast is bettern than most chain hotels' continental breakfast. The only negative was the condition of the rooms. I'm sure that being so close to the water and all that humidity makes upkeep difficult, and the rooms showed it. Nothing major, just damp feeling carpet and worn finishes. All in all, we had a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank yadkin
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I stayed for three nights in early April and had a great overall impression of the hotel and its staff. The location is wonderful, the staff was very friendly, the evening reception is a very nice touch. My only complain is when checking my receipt upon return to work (I was there for business), I found that the hotel had charged me $1 a day for the safe in my room. I am sorry Comfort Inn, but giving guests a place to secure their valuables is part of the cost of doing business as a hotel. A dollar a day is a very small amount, but it leaves the impression that the hotel is cutting its margins so tight that it has to resort to "nickle and diming" its guests. That one small item was enough to lower my impression of the hotel. If necessary, just raise your rate by a dollar.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank JimFromFL
Reviewed March 1, 2007

Beautiful hotel, right on the river in the historic district. Rooms were very clean, staff extra friendly with menus from nearby restaurants for review right at the desk. Had a great managers reception with free beer and wine and conversation.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2006

We stopped here the night before we checked into our shore rental property. What a great choice for a hotel in a great town. The kids could swim in the outdoor pool and play in the adjacent park. The historic district of New Bern is a short walk away. The view of the river is soothing. New Bern is a great destination and this hotel is a great base from which to enjoy the area.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank Keystone_Traveler
Reviewed July 8, 2006

This hotel has a great location. Rooms are large, however our room (room 320) needed some upkeep done. There was mold or water stain on the ceiling and the walls had numerous scrapes on them. A little touch up paint would have cured both issues. Touch up paint was needed in several locations we noted in the hotel, especially at elevator doors.

Breakfast was OK but not outstanding. There was a "tip container" placed in the breakfast area and we thought that was kind of tacky for a good hotel. Food was adequate but not outstanding. The hotel boast several hospatality awards. We did not find any out of the way hospatality during our stays. In fact when we asked the front desk for directions, one clerk was too busy and the other remained seated. Upon check in we were told check in time was 3:00PM. They would not budge from that time as we noted several other customers were also told they could not get a room before 3:00PM. We noted some light bulbs not burning in the breakfast area. In our hallway the carpet needed to be retightened and there was a large dirty section that remained uncleaned throughout our three days on the third floor.

It is our opinion this could be a good hotel, however attention should be given to mainteance and cleaning, otherwise it will deteroiate. Parking is good howver there is a city park next door and one night we noted park attendees taking up hotel parking spaces. A sign at the entrance didn't seem to stop them. The parkign lot needs a good clean up. The pool are was nice.

• Stayed: July 2006