“Best hotel BED in quite a while...”

Hampton Inn New Bern
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Background: In town for a nephew's Eagle Scout ceremony, it was nearly 10 pm when we used Priceline to book online at a Best Western for $99; but when we arrived less than 45 minutes later, Best Western said they'd had no rooms at that price (thought they admitted they had my Priceline confirmation!) and they wanted additional $45 more for one of the few remaining rooms. No realapology, no complimentary upgrade, nada, zip. I declined!

Hurricane Irene workers were still numerous in town, and I tried several hotels before finding lodging at the Hampton Inn...their last room and with AAA discount, it was only $105 with 2 queen beds, complimentary breakfast.

The front desk personnel both evening and morning were very friendly and helpful.

Room was nonsmoking and very clean. (So much so that I speculated at the front desk that they must have just recently built this hotel, but they told me it has been in operation for several years.)

Our fourth floor room was completely quiet, even though it was located right at the elevator.
Room temp stayed perfect throughout our one-night visit. Wi-fi in room was free and easy to log on. There was usual iron & board, coffee maker, hairdryer, fridge, microwave, flat screen HDTV. They had a nice bed-tray/desk for writing or computing while sitting in bed...very nice little touch. Mint on the pillow.

The thing that we really liked was the bed--firm with a significantly pillowed surface, the perfect combination. The only other one I have encountered before that was this good was at (pricey) The Quarters in Chicago. We slept great!

I'll have reasons to return to New Bern in the future, and this has become MY hotel there.

(The only thing I rated as just 'average' about this hotel was location, because it is not within walking distance of the downtown and waterfront areas of New Bern. It's within a couple miles, but you would want to drive to that area.)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank W David S

Reviewed October 22, 2011

This was my first visit to both New Bern and the Hampton Inn chain. The latter left a great impression with me that has ensured they'll get a return visit whenever I'm in town. The staff were attentive and helpful and the room was immaculate!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Spacious clean room with a well organized breakfast buffet that was kept fastidiously clean. Comfortable bed. Not sure why the air conditioner would not work, but it was cool enough to not need it. Way overpriced for the location. Too bad.....if the staff were willing to work with me, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank DCDoctor
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Last week my husband and brother-in-law needed to make a make quick arrangements to visit New Bern for an unexpected and tragic death in the family. Due to Hurricane Irene's damage of the area, hotel rooms were hard to come by. Luckily, we found a room at the Hampton Inn. Ron, who took the reservation could not promise the non-smoking room we requested, but he offered to ionize the room with a specific type of air freshening treatment to mitigate the after-effects of smoking guests. When I explained the reason for the guys' trip, he offered a bereavement rate for the room, something I would not even have thought to ask for. When the guys arrived 48 hours later, he had in fact located a smoke-free room.for them, in a quiet part of the property so they could recoup and relax during the stressful, emotional family time. When they came home, they referred to Ron as a "rock star". Kindness is always appreciated of course, but at a time like this it is truly wonderful. They found all the staff at the Hampton Inn to be polite, responsive and helpful from the room location to restaurant recommendations. Way to go Hampton Inn!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mabelle805
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We evacuated the NC coast to New Bern during hurricane Irene. The hotel was primarily booked with others who had done the same thing. We booked early in the week, online, and made our reservation through Expedia. We arrived at the hotel on Friday afternoon around 4 pm. We checked in and found that we were given a handicap room. I asked to switch rooms but were told the hotel was full and there were no other rooms. Okay, accepted this but found that there were guests arriving after us. Strike one. After watching the news from our room Friday, it appeared as though the hurricane was falling apart and was not going to be as intense at landfall as earlier predicted. My husband and I decided to try to cancel our room for the following night. We were told we would have to pay a cancellation fee equivalent to one nights stay. So basically, we were going to be charged whether we stayed or left. I spoke with Expedia and they said that they did not charge cancellation fees but that the hotel did. I called down to the front desk to explain why we wanted to cancel the 2nd night and that I had made sure by calling Hampton Inn directly at the time of making the reservation to inquire whether we would not have to pay a cancellatin fee, and I was told Hampton Inn did not charge a cancellation fee if canceled by 6 pm same day. The manager on duty told me we would be paying a fee because we booked through Expedia. Oh, and by the way, the hotel offered a special rate to people who booked directly through the hotel for the hurricane evacuation. So....we were paying more than anyone else, and were told that only the people who booked directly with Hampton Inn would be allowed to cancel their reservation in the morning without penalty. Not sure I understand any of it and told the on duty manager, that their policy was totally unfair. After a lenghty debate with her, she finally conceded and allowed me the same option as the rest of the guests which was to be able to wait till morning to cancel rather that canceling right then the night before.So I guess, my recommendation would be to forget Expedia when booking with Hampton Inn, On a good note, the next day they did provide food for the guests, since all the area restaurants were closed. They also provided bingo for those tired of staying in their rooms on Saturday night. The hotel employees were not rude but would not win any gold medals either. I guess a jobs a job. Sorry Hampton Inn, I am truly not one to complain.

Room Tip: Do not expect to get much if you book a room here through Expedia
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This is our second stay at this hotel. We came back because the staff is amazing!!!! They go out of their way to make you feel at home. Everyone here is friendly and courteous. They are very family friendly.. The rooms are very clean. The pool and hot tub area were great. The continential breakfast was always hot and stocked and the ladies there take great pride in taking care of you. Thank you Hampton Inn for being so AWESOME!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DawnW40
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Stayed the last 4 or 5 Sunday nights here on the first floor and it was great! Tonight, unfortunately, we are on the second floor. The air conditioner barely works. The whole unit is filthy really, really filthy. I pulled the filter and rinsed it off and tried cleaning up as much filth and dust as I could from the unit to make if preform better, still, barely working. The toilet looks like it hasn't been cleaned.....well.....ever. There are drag marks on the wall. The second floor hall is not air conditioned and has a foul musty odor similar to a pool area locker room. Seems like the second floor is maintained at a bare minimum. So much for joining Hilton Honors. If I can't get the room floor that I reserve, which is the first floor, I will not stay here again. I'm sure there are many, many, many, hotels that will gladly accommodate me, take my money and provide services I'm paying for.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends