“Fantastic find!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Surf Side Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Uk
“Fantastic find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2007

We ended up in the Outer Banks by accident really! We were staying at a hotel in Virginia Beach on Sat 15th and Sun 16th September and instead of driving stright home on Monday we thought we would go for a little tour of the area...

We ended up driving down to Notts Island and getting the ferry across to NC... Once there we figured we may as well just keep on driving as neither of us had ventured into the area before. We drove on down through Kitty Hawk, Duck and Kill Devil Hills and ended up in Nags Head. Ugh! We fell in love with the place and really wished we had driven down there to start with instead of VA Beach (Which was great too by the way, but this just seemed more special!)

Despite being realllllllly freakin windy that day (!) the weather and beach were beautiful. We spent most of the afternoon there and then decided rather than drive all the way back we would try and find somewhere to stay. We tried quite a few hotels and motels (Some of them looked super shabby for the prices they were charging!) and we were recommended this place by a motel further up the road (Blue Heron I think?)

The reception area doesn't look all that much, but we did appreciate the free wine whilst we were waiting to speak to the receptionist about a room! We paid $103 and had a choice of 2 different rooms. She let us take a look before we paid anything which was good. We chose a room that overlooked the pool and although it wasn't front facing, you still had the most amazing view of the ocean! The hotel is pretty much right on the beach.

The room itself was spacious and VERY comfortable and clean. The balcony was of a decent size too, with 2 comfortable chairs.

We made use of the indoor pool and jacuzzi (My ONLY complaint is that the jaccuzi was far too hot... I could only take about a minute at a time, I thought my skin was gonna peel off!) The pool is just right though!

We also really appreciated the free breakfast the following morning, it's a continental breakfast so no bacon, but there is absoluetky everything else that you can think of. We were impressed anyway!

When we go back to the Outer Banks, which we most definitely will! Next time we want to go for a week and go touring a little, I really wanted to go to Ocracoke, but sadly we didn't have time :( We will certainly stay at this hotel again for a couple of nights.

It was a perfect ending to a perfect weekend. Just what my fiance and I needed :)

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank doughnutnutty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
Chantilly, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

For our first visit to the Outerbanks we didn't know where to stay at all for our short vacation with an 8-month old. From my initial phone inquiry to the end of our stay, the service was perfect!
When we first arrived, we were given a room accross from the elevator that smelled a little odd and had a small tennis-ball size hole in the wall. Not what we expected at all nor wanted with a baby. Upon asking for another room, we were upgraded to a great suite. The new room was a little worn, but clean and spacious. It had a great view of the pool and ocean. Leaving the balcony door open brought in the sounds of the ocean. I couldn't have asked for more.
I gave this hotel 4 stars because of our first room, however the customer service and friendliness of the hotel is 10 stars! Everyone was super helpful... Elizabeth from the breakfast room was super sweet with our baby and LeRoy was the BEST, helping us arrange our room problem and advising us on area restaurants.
This hotel is situated a hope, skip and jump from the ocean and it wasn't a pain in the butt running back to the room to get forgotten baby items.
The afternoon wine was an added bonus, along with a great breakfast that included cereal, yogurt, pastries, hard boiled eggs, and fruit.
We will return again next year!

• Liked — Location, location, location...
  • Disliked — The first room we were given (read review)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Elizabeth07
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2007

I had stayed here with my boyfriend on Sept 1 - Sept 3 and had a wonderful experience. The staff there was very friendly. I called to inform them that I would be arriving late b/c I thought the front desk closed around 11PM. They insured us that they would be there until 12 midnight, but everything would be okay and if we were to arrive late, they would accommodate to make sure we get our room. We arrived around 11:30PM and check in was easy. They offer continental breakfast (can get very crowded) and wine & snack later in the day. It was very windy there, so no swimming was allowed. However, the indoor pool was very convenient. They also have an outdoor pool as well. The room itself was very nice. We ended up getting a parking lot/pool view, but we could still somewhat see the ocean. I could hear the ocean from our rooms, very nice! The rooms itself was very clean. However, they do try to conserve on water and energy, so I think they limit towels to the amount of guest you have in your room. The hotel was a great location. Only couple miles from Rockey Ridge State Park & many restaurants. I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ImprezaGirl
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2007

We stayed at the Surf Side hotel for a long weekend and we had a great time. We weren't sure what to expect after visiting their web site, which doesn't do the hotel much justice and considerng that many of the hotels in the Outer Banks are a bit scuzzy. The Surf Side is in a great location, mostly residental so the beach was not over crowded and it is located right on the beach. It was also very reasonably priced, with great AAA discounts. We stayed in an Ocean Front Suite, which had a beautiful view of the ocean, and 3 balconies! The room was comfortable and clean. Our only complaint was the refigerator had been turned up before our arrival and it took two days to cool again. We had to buy a cooler, but the staff was very helpful and assisted us with filling our cooler with ice and offered to send some one up right away to look at the fridge. The staff were all very pleasent and helpful. We will defiantly stay at the Surf Side again!

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — not enough elevators and luggage racks
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lauraRVA
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2007

The hotel was better than I expected (judging from the reception area- which was not very attractive and very crampted). However, rooms were neat and clean, and hotel staff was mostly helpful. Continental breakfast is included, but again, nothing fancy but just enough to hold you over until lunch.

And by the way, fron desk closes at 11 pm, so if you need anything after-hours - you are out of luck. The first day we asked for extra pillows (there are only 2 pillows per bed), but there were no pillows available.

Hotel is located right on the beach and owns it. Also, beach towels are available from the front desk (you sign them out and then ruturn at the end of the day).

Overall, it is a decent accomodation for family vacations.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ninitka
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

I have been to the Outer Banks several times and stayed at the brand hotels. Nothing bad to say but nothing really stood out. With that said... my family and I just got back from a 3 day stay at the Surfside Hotel in Nags Head.

From the initial phone call to book my reservation (Mathew) I could NOT be any happier with my experience. The friendlinees, accomodations and service were top notch!

My family and I stayed in the loft ocean view room. The room was clean, very well maintained and the sound of the waves was music to our ears. The pool area and beach right behind the hotel were in top shape as well. Also, the FREE breakfast provided each am was much more than expected. You and your family will not be dissapointed.

One thing I noticed during our stay. Not only was the staff very friendly so were the other guests. Now that tells me something....
THEY were enjoying there stay as much as my family enjoyed ours. We meet folks from Ohio as well as a nice family from Mass. (Being a Yankees fan that is hard to do!!) Our kids played together and we made some nice friends.

A visit to the Outer Banks that includes a stay at the Surfside will be a vacation you will be talking about for years to come.

• Liked — Location, service and friendlinees of staff and guests.
  • Disliked — Wished I was able to stay a few more days!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank JTVaBeach
Ferndale, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2007

My newly wedded wife and I went to the OBX for our destination wedding and stayed at the Surfside Hotel for what we are calling our "mini-moon" (we plan on going somewhere tropical for the real deal).

Our experience with this hotel was great overall. The view of the beach, sunset/sunrise, pool, and city from our room was great. The staff was very accomodating and did their best to please (I'm not that hard to please anyways, :P). We went with a mid-range priced room that ended up being just what we were looking for. It was VERY clean & organized which is extremely important to a guy like me. The cleaning staff here deserve a bonus of some sort, ;).

The one and only complaint I have about our stay at Surfside is when I made my reservations on the phone, the person I spoke with said there was wireless internet (cable modem speeds). The first thing I did when we arrived is setup a laptop and attempted to connect to the internet (check budget, e-mails, etc.). As a computer specialist, I figured this would take rougly 5 seconds... After about an hour or two of playing with the laptop trying to connect, I went down to the front desk and told them I was unable to get a working connection. The young man at the front desk said he was currently connected and wasn't able to answer my technical questions regarding wireless connectivity. I told him that it was okay for that night and that I'd speak with someone the next day.

The next day, I tried connecting for another hour or so figuring maybe there was some issues with the internet service provider with no luck. So my wife and I went to the front desk and asked that we be moved to a room that was closer to the hotels wireless access points. They were very accomodating in giving us another room (Loft) which was a nice room as was the first. After moving all of our stuff from the first room to the second (two different buildings; 45 minutes of moving bags), I again tried connecting... Nada.

Being pleased with the rest of the hotel (other than it's internet connection), I just decided to connect to the free OBX wireless internet that was available from another source within range of our hotel room (not Surfside's connection). This connection has annoying advertisements on every page you visit, but it was better than nothing.

Even with the 4-5 hours that was spent trying to get an internet connection, I'm still giving this place 4 out of 5 stars. By the way, even though we were on our "mini-moon", I still need to keep up with bills, work & e-mails via the net. Otherwise there'd be hell to pay when we got home. :P

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Internet Connection
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,340 reviews
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!