“BEST HOTEL YOU WILL FIND”
Review of Surf Side Hotel

Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed May 24, 2010

i go there all the time with my mom & dad.we all love it.the staff are nice as could be. there really clean.after a long day at the beach you can go relax in the pool or hotub.they have a wine social.they put out goldfish for the kids to eat.be sure to check out this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2010

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our business is built on repeat guests such as your and your familes and we sincerely appreciate your continued visits. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.
Seaboard Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (1,639)

Reviewed May 24, 2010

The room was very nice. My wife and I had a great view over looking the beach. The sounds of the waves was very pleasant to both of us. My problem with the hotel was the building. Our room was on the top floor of the three story building. This building has no elevators and the numbers on the building do not match the numbers on the doors. You could see the location of previous screws in the wall. I have seen bigger bathrooms.
There was nothing special about the breakfast. Milk was located in gallons containers instead of individual cartons. That was a first for me.
The maids at the hotel leave an envelope in your room welcoming you to the hotel and state that tips are appreciated. Additionally, there was a jar in the breakfast area for tips. If we go back to the Outer Banks, I would probably try another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saturndriver

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Certainly I wish it were more glowing but I understand your concerns. While we always tell guests over the phone that there is no elevator in our condo building I will be sure to make a note on the web site to state the fact. A new picture was mishung exposing the old screw hole that held the old picture, not acceptable to me either, I apologize.
Breakfast has become a necessary evil for us. We don't want to be in the restaurant business but breakfast has become a big part of the guests experience. We will look into different ways of dispensing the milk. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to make our rooms the cleanest you will find anywhere. The breakfast attendant also takes a great deal of pride in the presentation she makes for the guests. The option to leave a gratuity is there if you wish. I hope you will continue to visit the Outer Banks and I wish you well finding a property that better suits your desires.

Reviewed May 21, 2010

Selecting Surf Side Hotel was quite easy given the numerous accolades given on Trip Advisor and through word of mouth. Needless to say, it lived up to everything positive that can be read on this website.

I booked my reservation online and found their website to be very user friendly. There are numerous room types to choose from and the descriptions are very helpful. I very much appreciated the fact that a member of the staff gave me a courtesy call to confirm my date(s), room type, etc. and to inquire as to whether or not I had any questions for them. I thought this was a very nice touch, as many places use the web-based booking system to "avoid" interaction with the guest prior to arrival.

Upon arrival, there was a slight wait to check in, but I didn't mind. Given that it's a small, family owned operation (which I can appreciate), the person at the desk is responsible for answering all phone calls, making reservations, etc. When the attendant was free I found the service to be great. I did not have any questions regarding attractions or restaurants or anything, but the attendant was obviously very willing to assist if it had been necessary. Our room was in the main building (there are two--the second is disconnected from the main structure) and was very nicely decorated. Our room had a balcony which looked up the coastline. They do offer ocean view rooms for an additional premium, but I found the angled side view to be quite pleasant and a steal for the price paid. We could see the ocean perfectly and the sound of the waves lulled us to sleep each night. It should be noted that we visited before Memorial Day and the inevitable price increase, but I would have been willing to pay more during high season for the same room and have been very pleased.

The king-sized room we had was a nice size. It had a sofa that pulled out to a full size bed which we didn't use. There was also a chair in the corner, which was nice. I was pleasantly surprised to find a suitable seating area for eating, watching TV, etc. without feeling at all crammed. Additionally, the flat-screen TV rested upon a piece of furniture that had dresser drawers as well as some cabinet-style doors that contained a mini refrigerator and microwave. I appreciated that these items were not in the way, nor an eyesore against the wall like in many places. The bed was comfortable; the sheets were of a good quality and the mattress was suitable for both my girlfriend and me. In a nutshell, the quality of the room was amazing for the price paid.

There was a continental breakfast in the mornings served between 7:30-10am that we enjoyed. There was a modest offering, but what they did have really hit the spot and was a good way to start the day. In addition to cereal, oatmeal and fresh fruit, they had several toasters and provided bagels, waffles and french toast sticks. All were quite good. There were also several different juices to choose from and a coffee station, too.

Lastly, I really appreciated the guest services. In many oceanfront properties I've stayed in previously, the service is average at best. In this case, however, we felt genuinely welcomed. Even the housekeepers who were working to clean on our floor during the day greeted us pleasantly.

The Surf Side Hotel is definitely doing things right. Their amazing location in Nags Head at milepost 15.5, well appointed and clean rooms and warm service really made our time in the Outer Banks this year most enjoyable. We will definitely seek accommodations here on our next visit to the area.

A sincere thank you to all who served us at Surf Side Hotel between May 17-19. Kudos.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank allelsefailed

Your kind words and wonderful review make me proud of our staff and the exceptional job they perform everyday. We all strive hard to present the product that you describe for all of our guests. As you stated we are family owned and operated so it is very personal to us when we perform to the standards we set or when we don't meet them. We are working hard to improve the property every year and to improve upon our service. Thank you for choosing the Surf Side and for taking the time to share your experience with others.

Reviewed May 1, 2010

Whille enroute from South Carolina, used my husband's smart phone to do some reseach for hotels as we did not have a prior reservation in Nags Head. Surfside Hotel rated #1 by customers and we concur.

Great value for room and all the amenities. Pretty extensive breakfast selections. Wine served in the lobby for weary and thirsty travels (not at breakfast -- happy hour).

Rooms were recently refurbished. Could still smell the newness.

My only complaint is that the mattresses were old and uncomfortable for sleeping.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daytrippers76

You gotta love the new technology! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to reinforce the power of Tripadvisor. We do not rest on the fact that we have been number one for years, we always strive to improve and offer a better experience every time you stay with us. I know it is a long way from Michigan but we hope to have you as our guests again in the future.

Reviewed May 1, 2010

My niece and I have just returned from a trip to the Outer Banks to celebrate her college graduation. Thanks to our stay at the Surfside Hotel, it's a trip we will never forget. The staff was just wonderful and went out of its way to make us feel special.
The amenities were numerous. My niece made use of the fitness center and we both enjoyed the afternoon wine. The complimentary continental breakfast was extensive. If she wanted to sleep in, I brought my breakfast back and sat on the porch watching the ocean waves roll in. Listening to the waves lull us to sleep at night was very relaxing.
The Surfside's location is perfect. We were able to explore the entire Outer Banks and come back to relax by the pool and work on our tans.
I had wanted this to be a memorable vacation for her but thanks to the Surfside Hotel and its staff, it was memorable for myself as well.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

I am happy for you and your niece that the trip turned out so well. I know you could have stood a less windy day on your ferry trip to Ocracoke but your last day couldn't have been much prettier. Thank you for taking part in our photo shoot, you were both great models! :) I greatly appreciate you choosing the Surf Side and for taking the time to write your review. Free models and a great review, the perfect guests! I hope some day you will both be able to return to relive the trip.

Reviewed April 14, 2010

We were there for four days over spring break with a 7 and 11 year old. From the moment we checked in we felt right at home. The staff was wonderful. The front desk staff were friendly and welcoming. I think this is a family run place, it certainly felt like it (in a good way!). The cleaning staff was seen just about all day long, and they were also friendly and helpful, we asked for and received extra towels and coffee with a smile. The overall vibe of the people who work there was so nice!

The hotel itself was very clean. Our room was great, three balconies with great views from two of them. The third overlooked the parking lot, which the kids enjoyed! The only downside to the room was the pull out couch. I ended up sleeping there with my sick son on our final night and it was not very comfortable. Little kids never seem to care, but if you are planning on sharing with teenagers, you would be better off with a two bed room. The room was quiet! I cant stand hotels where you can hear other people, all we heard was the ocean....very soothing!

The beach access was great, the hotel is right on the beach with a big deck and pier out to the sand. We enjoyed both the inside and outside pools, and the hot tub.

We'll stay again for sure! I would highly recommend the Surf Side for anyone who enjoys a relaxed stay in Nags Head!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts on your visit with others. I sincerely appreciate your kind words and I am so happy you had a enjoyable stay. We strive to make our hotels feel like your beach house so that you can truly relax and enjoy the beach resorts we represent. Your business is not taken for granted and our goal is to make you a long term customer. Thanks again.

Reviewed April 12, 2010

I just got back from my Honeymoon and stayed at the Surfside. This was not my first visit as I have stayed here many times in the last 6 years since I moved here from California. I just had to take my bride here and enjoy our Honeymoon. The rooms are always clean and up to date. I always stay in the oceanfront superior or the Honeymoon Suit with the 2 balconies and jaccuzi. The staff is more like family then employees and the views are breathtaking! The only thing I can say even needs improvement is the wireless Internet signal but it was not bad. This hotel has indoor and outdoor swimming pools and an indoor hot tub. The prices are fair, especially if you take advantage of the internet specials. We are looking to our stay again in October! This place is the best in OBX!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Congratulations and thank you for choosing the Surf Side on such a special occassion. You continued business is very much appreciated and not taken for granted. We will continue to work on improving the wireless internet, I recognize the importance it has for our guests. Thanks again for the business and for taking the time to put your review on Tripadvisor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!