“Perfect!”
Review of Surf Side Hotel

Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Great place to stay. We "tried it out" in March sans Grandchildren, and it was perfect then. With the children, even better! Right on the beach whch they loved, excellent buffet breakfast that they ate with gusto, large rooms with minifridge and microwaves for snacks and picnic lunches, and great staff. It is near Jockey Ridge (bring kites) and not far from the Wright Bros. Monument. Also, good restaurants nearby (Sam and Omies within walking distance). My only complaint is that since most pople there are on vacation, we really don't need TV news blaring at us at breakfast! Please turn off the TV in the Breakfast room and the Surf Side would be PERFECT!

1  Thank janetb39

Reviewed July 29, 2009

Surprised my wife with a "no kids" getaway to the Outer Banks in July. Initially reserved three nights, booked the fourth night after first night there! For us location and attitude are everything. First, regarding the location, it was perfect for us. Room directly on the ocean! Local grocery store right up the street. Several restaurants (must try Sam & Omie's!) nearby. Secondly, growing up in coastal towns I know how "locals" can make or break a "tourists" entire experience. Everyone we came across that week treated us like we were regular neighbors who they see everyday...we both felt at home from the minute we arrived. Bottom line...we reserved our next vacation at the front desk before checking out. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OBXLvrVA
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Unfortunately I travel frequently for work so I stay in hotels often and I'm a loyalty card holder for just about every major chain. Usually I redeem points for free stays for family vacations. Franchises are limited and often sold out on the Outer Banks so we stayed at the Surfside for a last minute getaway. WHAT A FIND!
This hotel has the big guys beat in every way. The rooms are immaculate, well appointed, and spacious. The ocean and bay views are incredible. We had our windows open all night feeling the breeze and listening to the waves crash on the beach. The service is top notch. The breaksfast is plentiful and delicious. Honestly, I am hard pressed to find anything to be critical about. Not only that, the rates are more than reasonable.
If we do return to the Outer Banks, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. I wish all of my travels were this pleasant.
Thank you Surf Side Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
SIMPLER HOTELS, owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2009

You deserve the thanks! Thanks for the awesome review and more so thank you for staying with us, your business is sincerely appreciated. We don't want to be a franchise as we feel we can do it better. Since we built the Surf Side in 1984 we have been striving to make all of our guests feel just as you did during your stay. We listen to our guests request and we work every day at making a better experience for our guests. Thanks again for the kind words, it means a great deal!

Reviewed July 9, 2009

Our family relied on Trip Advisor reviews for our stay at Surfside Hotel and we were not disappointed! The front desk staff and housekeeping at Surfside Hotel were all very helpful and pleasant. The lobby area is nicely updated and the wine social in the afternoons was a nice touch. Our family enjoyed the convenience of the free continental breakfast each morning. We loved that the location was right on the beach and our views were amazing from the 4th floor. There are many great restaurants close-by, mini golf, and the town of Manteo was nice to visit.

We recommend the sandwiches and baskets at Sugar Shack for a quick, fresh seafood lunch overlooking the water and also Sam and Omies had a wonderful Shrimp burger! We also recommend Lone Cedar Cafe on the causeway for great seafood with an amazing view.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for recognizing the value in Tripadvisor and for offering such a great review for the Surf Side. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We are continually improving the hotel to make each guests experience one that they will find enjoyable and memorable. Thank you for the review and for being our guests.

Reviewed June 30, 2009

My husband and I stayed three nights at the Surf Side Hotel with our 14-yr-old daughter and her friend. Everything about our stay was wonderful. Very clean, spacious room right on the oceanfront. Employees were all pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was large and varied. Nice pool and deck with beautiful ocean view. Free wine and snacks in the evening were much appreciated! We will definitely return to Surf Side on our next trip to the Outer Banks. Great location, and we made some wonderful memories. Much appreciated! Also, the soaps and lotions provided were absolutely great. I'm going to try to find them online!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reading that you came away from your stay with wonderful memories is a huge compliment and sense of accomplishment. Our goal is to make every guests stay an enjoyable and memorable experience. Since 1984 we have been striving to be the very best hotel on the Outer Banks. Our reviews say we are meeting that goal but we will continue to improve every day. Thank you for your time and effort in placing your review and thank you for your business, it is sincerely appreciated.

Reviewed June 29, 2009

I've stayed at Surfside Hotel four times in the last two years. I've always enjoyed my stays there and I would definitely recommend it to others. The breakfast is great and the wine social is the afternoon is an added bonus. The beach is nice and easy to access. I prefer this hotel over others in the area because it is cleaner than other hotels. The outdoor pool and indoor pool are great.

The hotel is in a great location. You are close to restaurants, the outlets, mini golf and much more.

The only thing I wish they would change is the chairs around the outdoor pool. They are wooden and very hard plus the cushions are too thin. But, the pool is always clean and very nice.

It is a great place at a really good value.

I also recommend Sugar Creek Restaurant and Sugar Creek Shack for lunch.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel4me_9296

I am so grateful to you for your extensive stay history and for taking the time to review the Surf Side for others to hear about your experience. We know we have the best location on the Outer Banks so we capitalize on that by offering the best in value, room options, service, and amenities. Our operating philospohy is simple, "Friendliness and Cleanliness". We work hard to present the cleanest hotel you will find and we couple it with a service oriented staff with a smile. Though I am aware of the need to replace some of our deck chairs your comments are what lead us on our priorities. I appreciate all that you wrote and I am grateful for your business.

Reviewed June 27, 2009

We stayed at the Surfside June 23-26. I chose this hotel based on the reviews on this site, and we were very pleased. We had a fourth floor "loft" room, which gave us enough room for the two of us and our growing children. The continental breakfast and social hour in the afternoon were very nice, and we used and enjoyed both. We ate at Owens Restaurant and Sam and Omie's and were very pleased with both. We attended "The Lost Colony" outdoor drama in Manteo, and our entire family enjoyed it very much. The Surfside is within walking distance of restaurants and souvenir shops. We could have also walked to golf, bumper boats, etc., but chose to play on the beach and pools instead. The beach is steps away, which we really enjoyed, and we had a great view from our balcony. This is an older hotel, but our room was very clean, the towels were thick, and we had plenty of room.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!