“Great but.......”
Review of Surf Side Hotel

Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Room was very clean and very comfortable. The view was good. Water pressure in shower was too low and the bathroom is too small. The entrance door was sticky and had to close with force. The walls are a little thin. The elevator was slow. The WiFi sucked! Great location and easy access to the beach. Didn't have a chance to use the indoor pool unfortunately.

• Stayed: October 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,629)

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was very pleased with our room. It was spacious and clean with an excellent view of the ocean. The balcony was perfect for enjoying the ocean. We had two big queen beds. The room had a refrigerator and microwave and 2 tables - not at all like the usual cramped hotel rooms. The bathroom was a bit small in comparison. I thought the location of the hotel was very convenient. The continental breakfast was a nice feature, but it was okay (not great). We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I recently had a three night stay at Surf Side Hotel. This was a spur of the moment trip with little notice. Room was booked the morning of the day I arrived. The staff on the phone was friendly and accomodating. My room was on the top floor and oceanfront. Check in was fast and the staff were polite. The rooms were very well maintained. This is a dated hotel. I last stayed here going back 20 or so years. This adds to the charm of the hotel. The rocking chairs on the balcony were a very nice touch. I will gladly return on my next visit.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room on one of the top floors!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed three nights, 4th floor, north side. we were right next the elevator, reasonably soundproof, did not notice a lot of noise. The breakfast was a little more limited than some, but very adequate. Room price was very reasonable, it gave us a little more budget room. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spend1953
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed in a Oceanfront King Suite on the 1st floor of the main building. This room has 3 balconies and a living room and a separate bedroom. I was very impressed at how clean all rooms appeared to be. (I did notice the 100% sanitation rating they received by the plaque in the lobby.) My mother slept in the queen pull-out sofa and slept fine. My king size bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was what I expected as was plenty for us. I consider it to have lots of options (fresh fruit was great, biscuits/gravy, boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt and items such as waffles, pastries, bagels, etc that you can heat up in the convection oven, toaster, or microwave). I thought the breakfast room was large enough, although I can imagine it would get crowded during the summer months. The staff was very courteous and I thought the lobby had a warm, cozy feel to it. The only problem I saw being on the 1st floor was our bedroom was directly beside the parking lot and I could hear loud vehicles leaving early in the morning (and the vehicles are literally right beside the balcony). We did have another balcony with an oceanfront view and it was very nice. This was our first stay here and I can guarantee we will be back.

Room Tip: Next time I will get an Oceanfront King Suite that is above the 1st floor for better ocean view and...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank brach4
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our room was on the north side of the building on the 3rd floor. Although some reviewers have complained about overlooking the parking lot, we really had a wonderful view of the beach and ocean! We liked that there was a screen on the slider so we could leave the door open and not worry about bugs.

I had read reviews that mentioned crawling bugs in the room. I had my eye out for one and never saw one bug anywhere inside the building. The bathroom was small but clean....I vote for clean over size any day! There were plenty of towels and toiletries were replenished daily.

The beds were comfortable with clean sheets and blankets.

The AC unit was noisy when we had the temp lower, but it certainly did nit sound like an airplane taking off! It was nice to be able to set a temp instead of just turn a dial for higher or lower.

There have been reviews about the coffee being so bad......and it was. On our last morning, my husband decided it might have been because of the water.....I think there is soft water because of the difficulty of rinsing soap/shampoo in the shower.

The breakfast was a typical cold breakfast. There was no mention of hot food and there was no hot food. Everything was fresh and replenished. The room was clean but it is not in a beautiful new lobby of a Hampton or Residence Inn. It is in an older hotel, the placement of the breakfast area is in the rear of the hotel. If there was a renovation, it would probably be easy to make it ocean view dining!

The hotel is old and tired.....but clean. My husband loved that there was window washer and a squeegee available for the windshield and a hose that he used to squirt the sand from our car. Nice little amenity!

Hotel staff was ok. The older woman who checked us in was brusque that some could take for "mean". She eventually came around because we chatted her up and she had no choice to be nice. The man who was working nights during our stay (Oct 6-9) was outstanding. He was very friendly and helpful with check out information. Kudos to him!

The elevator is in serious need of attention. It is old and slow.

Overall, this was a nice stay, and we would probably stay there again. Good central location.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This small hotel has a very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are clean and comfortable. It's location is wonderful, right on the water. Just steps from the beach. I will most certainly return. However don't bother with the wine at happy hour, just go to chat and bring your own wine.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
1 mi away
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!