“The Best Yet”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Smithfield Va
“The Best Yet”
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Excellent for the money. The view was fantastic. The rooms were well cared for and clean. We slept very well. Hotel desk clerks were informative and friendly. We will definitely use this hotel again. I am glad I followed the other reviewers advice. We ate at Sugar Creek , loved the fresh seafood, and at Miller's for breakfast, just the best ever. You won't be disappointed!

• Liked — clean rooms and location
  • Disliked — no problems
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
Virginia
Reviewed January 3, 2008

This hotel was a nice surprise. We stayed in an oceanfront room for New Year's Eve. We heard the sound of the surf and watched schools of porpoise swim along the coast.

The hotel was clean, staff very friendly and we liked the welcoming touches such as warm cider and cookies and the wine afternoon social.

The hotel was close to Manteo on Roanoke Island where we rode our bicycles on paved paths with the destination being Elizabethan Gardens.

The only improvement would be a bigger hot tub/pool with better shower facilities but I understand those renovations will take place Spring 2008.

So go and enjoy.

• Liked — ocean view/hotel kept clean/staff very friendly
  • Disliked — shower facilities in spa/indoor pool area, had facial reaction to chemicals in water/linens
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Friscodreams
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed November 27, 2007

We got this tip from our friends, who stayed out here a few times and recommended this hotel.
We didn't expect a five-star-hotel... BUT what we got was great...
The rooms were very clean and nice. The view to the ocean, even from the annex part of the hotel was good.
And the service was wonderful.
This was our "belated honeymoon" and we got a bottle of Champagne and glasses put in our room. This was a total surprise and well received. THANK YOU for caring!

We will be back... in Spring, Summer and Fall.. it's worth the travel.

• Liked — the location.. easy to get to all places
  • Disliked — there was a bad wind during the night.. and one of the doors kept banging against the frame. you couldn't letch it.. was bad
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The2WorldTravelers
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 27, 2007

My boyfriend and I traveled to NC to have Thanksgiving w/my family and decided to spend the following weekend on the OBX. I wanted an oceanside room since my boyfriend had never been there before. We booked an Oceanfront Superior (rm 315) and the views were incredible. The first night was a full moon and we will never forget the glowing light on the miles of ocean spreading out before our bed. We had a large room with a sitting area, nice bathroom, two decks with two large sliding glass doors. The accommodations were standard and clean. The best part of our hotel stay by far (besides the view) was the breakfast. A full breakfast is available from 8-10 (so you don't have to get up at 6 to swipe a bagel). There were yogurts, cereal, waffles, muffins, tea/coffee/juice, bagels, all sorts of condiments. I had a banana, hot waffle with butter & syrup, hot green tea, two boiled eggs, and a strawberry yogurt. My boyfriend also loaded up before we set out for the drive to Cape Hatteras. Also, when we left we were able to use the guest computer with internet access to get directions to Raleigh. I would definitely go back to Surf Side.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — soaps
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank minnymiddy
Uk
Reviewed September 20, 2007

We ended up in the Outer Banks by accident really! We were staying at a hotel in Virginia Beach on Sat 15th and Sun 16th September and instead of driving stright home on Monday we thought we would go for a little tour of the area...

We ended up driving down to Notts Island and getting the ferry across to NC... Once there we figured we may as well just keep on driving as neither of us had ventured into the area before. We drove on down through Kitty Hawk, Duck and Kill Devil Hills and ended up in Nags Head. Ugh! We fell in love with the place and really wished we had driven down there to start with instead of VA Beach (Which was great too by the way, but this just seemed more special!)

Despite being realllllllly freakin windy that day (!) the weather and beach were beautiful. We spent most of the afternoon there and then decided rather than drive all the way back we would try and find somewhere to stay. We tried quite a few hotels and motels (Some of them looked super shabby for the prices they were charging!) and we were recommended this place by a motel further up the road (Blue Heron I think?)

The reception area doesn't look all that much, but we did appreciate the free wine whilst we were waiting to speak to the receptionist about a room! We paid $103 and had a choice of 2 different rooms. She let us take a look before we paid anything which was good. We chose a room that overlooked the pool and although it wasn't front facing, you still had the most amazing view of the ocean! The hotel is pretty much right on the beach.

The room itself was spacious and VERY comfortable and clean. The balcony was of a decent size too, with 2 comfortable chairs.

We made use of the indoor pool and jacuzzi (My ONLY complaint is that the jaccuzi was far too hot... I could only take about a minute at a time, I thought my skin was gonna peel off!) The pool is just right though!

We also really appreciated the free breakfast the following morning, it's a continental breakfast so no bacon, but there is absoluetky everything else that you can think of. We were impressed anyway!

When we go back to the Outer Banks, which we most definitely will! Next time we want to go for a week and go touring a little, I really wanted to go to Ocracoke, but sadly we didn't have time :( We will certainly stay at this hotel again for a couple of nights.

It was a perfect ending to a perfect weekend. Just what my fiance and I needed :)

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank doughnutnutty
Chantilly, VA
Reviewed September 13, 2007

For our first visit to the Outerbanks we didn't know where to stay at all for our short vacation with an 8-month old. From my initial phone inquiry to the end of our stay, the service was perfect!
When we first arrived, we were given a room accross from the elevator that smelled a little odd and had a small tennis-ball size hole in the wall. Not what we expected at all nor wanted with a baby. Upon asking for another room, we were upgraded to a great suite. The new room was a little worn, but clean and spacious. It had a great view of the pool and ocean. Leaving the balcony door open brought in the sounds of the ocean. I couldn't have asked for more.
I gave this hotel 4 stars because of our first room, however the customer service and friendliness of the hotel is 10 stars! Everyone was super helpful... Elizabeth from the breakfast room was super sweet with our baby and LeRoy was the BEST, helping us arrange our room problem and advising us on area restaurants.
This hotel is situated a hope, skip and jump from the ocean and it wasn't a pain in the butt running back to the room to get forgotten baby items.
The afternoon wine was an added bonus, along with a great breakfast that included cereal, yogurt, pastries, hard boiled eggs, and fruit.
We will return again next year!

• Liked — Location, location, location...
  • Disliked — The first room we were given (read review)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Elizabeth07
Maryland
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I had stayed here with my boyfriend on Sept 1 - Sept 3 and had a wonderful experience. The staff there was very friendly. I called to inform them that I would be arriving late b/c I thought the front desk closed around 11PM. They insured us that they would be there until 12 midnight, but everything would be okay and if we were to arrive late, they would accommodate to make sure we get our room. We arrived around 11:30PM and check in was easy. They offer continental breakfast (can get very crowded) and wine & snack later in the day. It was very windy there, so no swimming was allowed. However, the indoor pool was very convenient. They also have an outdoor pool as well. The room itself was very nice. We ended up getting a parking lot/pool view, but we could still somewhat see the ocean. I could hear the ocean from our rooms, very nice! The rooms itself was very clean. However, they do try to conserve on water and energy, so I think they limit towels to the amount of guest you have in your room. The hotel was a great location. Only couple miles from Rockey Ridge State Park & many restaurants. I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!