“Great location”

Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed August 7, 2010

If you want a good view on the ocean side, request a room on the 4th or 5th floor because the pool area blocks your view to the south if you are lower. We stayed here for two nights and had no problems whatsoever. Check in was smooth, the room was fine. It wasn't really anything special, but nice enough and clean. The peaceful location was a positive. They are starting a breakfast, but the choices are extremely limited. The sweet potato biscuits were good, but I'd like a little more variety to choose from. Do not expect a Hampton Inn breakfast here. Just FYI, the shampoo and soap really smelled good. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2010

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again.

Sue Hogan

Reviewed August 4, 2010

The room was great. Looks like completely renovated recently. However, after lugging all our stuff to the 5th floor, then returning the cart to the lobby, I went back up to the room. That's when the Mrs. pointed out that the bathroom had not been cleaned. It had fresh towels, etc. but it also had hair in the tub and on the floor, and urine ON the toilet SEAT.

When I called the front desk, they offered to move us. No offer of cleaning...just pack up my stuff and go to another room. I asked if there was something they could do for my inconvenience. I didn't want a free night, nor a discount...just something. Be createive folks. It didn't appear that every room on the ocean side was occupied...that would have been a nice upgrade for our inconvenience.

When I arrived at the desk to get the key for the next room (and to pick up the cart to move our baggage,) I was told the manager said as long as they had another room I could move to, they didn't have to do anything else. Well, I guess if you don't HAVE to do anything for the customer, then don't.

On the upside, the rooms are nice, as are the bathrooms. Seems like all the furnishings are either new or very close to it. The continental breakfast was good. The parking was sufficient, and I never felt a concern for security.

Isn't it amazing that a place which has a good facility can cause a customer to never stay there again, or recommend it to family, friends or clients of our travel agency, simply because of the attitude of the staff? I'd be embarassed if I recommended the place and this happened to somone who took my suggestion.

On the other hand, during our trip through the southeast and eastern seaboard, we've stayed at 2 Drury Inns, where the rooms were better, food was better, rooms cheaper (although NOT in a destination like the OBX) but even more importantly, each and every staff member we spoke with had a "can do" attitude and wanted to be sure we had a good stay. THAT is customer service.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ConchyLee
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

I apologize that the room that you were given had not been cleaned completely. That should never happen. No excuses. A fresh room seemed a better choice than keeping you in a room that had not been serviced correctly even if we had someone on duty that could have sanitized the bathroom for you. I agree that the customer service by both the housekeeping staff and the front desk staff left much to be desired in this case. We will all work harder to do a better job of customer service.

I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay at the Nags Head Inn even though it started on a very bad note. We have just renovated our common areas and guest rooms and added the complimentary pastries and beverages in the morning. We know that everyone looks forward to vacation and we try to make everyone’s stay a pleasant one. I am sorry that we did not achieve that goal in your case.

Sue Hogan

Reviewed June 14, 2010

Had the best nights sleep in forever and a delicious surprise for breakfast! We'd stayed here a few years back and found the location was close to great restaurants and shopping so we went back. We were delighted to find the entire place had been completely renovated AND they now have these delicious country ham and sweet potato biscuits for breakfast ( along with other stuff) They didn't have a breakfast when we were there before so this was really nice. The same great staff was still working there and they were just as courteous and helpful as the first time. I say try this hotel. It's not a chain but seems to have all the amenities while making you feel like family at the same time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy029
Reviewed June 9, 2010

A friend and I stayed here for three days. I was really pleased with the location, oceanfront rooms and the friendly service. I have stayed in other motels in the same area, but this was the best!
Employees who greeted us were exceptionly friendly. I have no complaints. Room service is great. Breakfast was nice. The lady that host the breakfast greeted you with a smile and was very pleasant. All the employees always were smiling. The pool and hot tube are very nice and clean. I will always come back to this hotel.
They really care about your stay with them.
I wish I would have known about this hotel before. I'm very happy with our stay there.
The price was very reasonable. I would recommend this hotel before going to any other one.
They also accomendate for handicap people with breakfast and etc.
The motel is also close to shopping, dining, and the ocean.
I will recommend this hotel to everyone. It is a family place.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I've read several bad questionable reviews about the Nags Head Inn and I really wonder if they wrote reviews about the wrong establishment. This was a great place to stay! I was hesitant after reading about the staff and dirty rooms, but my family had no issues with this place whatsoever. In fact, when checking in there was an error found in my reservations (either my fault or the hotel's, could've been either) and they fixed it with no problem at all. They found a room to accomodate us, gave us the internet special (4th night free...which was a Saturday!!!) and didn't charge me for having a third person in the room.

The location of the Inn was perfect. Right between two 'hot spots' with Kill Devil Hills to the north and Nags Head proper to the south. This was nice because with incoming weekend traffic there was not a lot of commotion and we all felt like we were really at the beach and not a college fraternity house annex.

The housekeeping staff were all extremely friendly. They didn't mind at all that we were in the room when they knocked and we asked them to come back a little later. When we put the "please make up my room" sign on the door at 5AM, our room was made up when we returned by 9AM.

The ONLY two things I could get annoyed with are 1) the water is very soft and the pressure is a little low, and 2) the fridge in the room seemed to struggle a little to keep things cold. But seriously...why nit-pick about little things like this when you're on vacation at the beach?!

I would most certainly stay here again. In fact, it WILL be the first place I look for vacancies when I go back.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed May 8, 2010

This old hotel as long as it has served it's guests, does have alot to learn when it comes to customer service. The desk staff were not experienced, or friendly at check in or check out, as a matter of fact when we checked out they were rude folded our reciept in half and said here is your copy. The hotel maid lied and said that we had our pet in our room, which we didn't. To make matters worse after we left, they charged my card $250.00 and rather than discussing the matter, they had to do it under handed.
The room we stayed in was ok, but new paint on a rusted old car is still a bucket of rust.
Don't waste your time here, stay at the Ramada where the hotel is people and pet friendly, if it costs a little more it will be well worth it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2010

When you checked into the Nags Head Inn you filled out the registration card and initialed the “No Pet/No Smoking Policy” which clearly states that you will be assessed a $250.00 penalty for bringing a pet into the hotel. When you brought your dog into the hotel you knowingly violated that policy and we charged your credit card accordingly. The dog was heard by a few people in your room and seen by our staff coming out of the room. The housekeeper who reported the incident could not have known that you were traveling with a dog unless she saw it coming out of the room. You were informed at check out that this matter would be turned over to management and a letter was sent to you with copies of the signed registration card and your credit card charge.

TheNags Head Inn is a completely pet free and smoke free facility. Extra cleaning and sanitizing measures are required to get the guest room back to that standard after there has been smoking or pets in that room. As you mentioned, the Ramada Plaza is a larger facility and does have some designated pet rooms. This is a good alternative for those people that are traveling to the area with their pets and need lodging.

Reviewed April 26, 2010

We arrived in Nags Head during Bike Week 2010, unaware that all the hotels in the area were booked up. We called around and this was one of the few rooms we could find. They quoted us a rate of $130 a night with our AAA discount. We were sure the room would be okay for that price. The employee on the phone was very helpful and continued to be very friendly during the check in process. Our complaint with the hotel was the cleanliness of the room. There were hairs on our bedspread, a bug in the shower, the countertop in the bathroom was wet as if someone had just washed their hands and left, and to top it off the sliding glass door to the outside was open. Were we in someone else's room?

The bed was actually comfortable after we got the hairs off, but between the thin walls, and large cracks under the door and loads of folks revving their Harley's all night not much sleep was achieved. We could not get out fast enough the next morning. I wish I had saved my $130 and slept in the car. This room may have been okay for $70 but at almost twice the price I would avoid it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla

Been to Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!