“Tis a gift to be simple”

Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Nashville, Tennessee
“Tis a gift to be simple”
Reviewed May 18, 2009

We were referred here by a hotel whose indoor pool was out of service. It was serendipity. This is a bright, clean hotel. We were a family traveling after a wedding and needed an indoor pool for two small children. The indoor pool was not decorated with dusty fake plants -- it was a large white room with blue carpeting and colorful kites hanging from the ceiling. Two large innertubes were available to use. The rooms were simple and colorful with local photographs over the beds. The bathroom was small and for one person at a time. There was a large flat screen TV on the dresser but the remote was a little tricky. It's very conveniently located at the beach (we had balcony rooms with ocean view -- kept the doors open at night to hear the waves) and close to a Food Lion and close to Jockey's Ridge park. Also very close to the best restaurant in Nags Head (or most anywhere) -- the Kill Devil Grill -- GO THERE!! The staff was friendly and helpful. The lobby coffee is pretty good-- the coffee in the room is pretty awful. It was a good place to end the trip.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Raleigh NC
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We accidentally found this Hotel last fall when we went to the Outer Banks without a reservation. ( Had lunch and the wait person suggested it) Went back because of the location, close to Jockey's Ridge, and all shops ,and restaurants, and it's oceanfront.
Had reservation this time. We were really surprised to find this place has been completely renovated and it's beautiful! No more regular keys either, just pass the card by the thing on the door-great when your arms are full of kids stuff and luggage. New flat screen TV in room, wireless internet for my husband, coffee in rooms,bigger fridge, bigger microwave,( again great when you have kids. ) Once again the staff was so friendly with "local" knowledge they shared on where to eat!! They know their stuff!!
The beach was beautiful, the room was very clean with new carpet and linens. The lobby is so nice! Our son LOVED the "big fish"! We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
south boston, va
Reviewed April 22, 2009

The hotel is a nice hotel. The reviews gave me a little scare but I was very pleased when we got there it is not at all like the reviews say it is. It is very clean and you can tell they are trying to improve. The staff could be a little more friendly and act like they like their job a little more but that is my only complaint, besides the pool looks a little run down also.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
rdu
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Just returned from a weekend visit to look at houses on the Outer Banks. We stayed at the Nags Head Inn because we stayed there 10 years ago and were pleased. Some of the reviews on here almost scared us off but the facts are that the reviews don't match our experience. First there are no keys--the rooms have those new radio frequency locks--just wave the majic card kind of cool actually. They were installing flat screen televisions while we were there. There are coffee makers and refrigerators in the room. The room was very very clean. The beach was beautiful and convenient. There were irons and boards in the room that looked new. In fact the lobby was totally new and looked different even larger. The whole building's exterior looked like it was built last year. The rents are being discounted during the off season and we paid less than most of the big chains wanted. No continental breakfast but we don't like most of the ones you get in budget hotels any way. The area has pleanty of very good restaurants that ran the gamut from fast food to fine dining with excellent wine lists. Overall, a good clean room in a great location with most modern amenities (liked free wireless internet that actually worked) and priced really fairly for oceanfront. We'll be back this summer.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wachinu
Virginia
Reviewed January 5, 2009

My family of 6 stayed in the off season (January) for 2 nights so I can only speak to what the hotel is like in winter.

The staff was friendly and speedy at reservation (had to call on the phone) check in and check out. They gave us several good restaurant recommendations during the stay. They did have fresh coffee in the lobby each morning.

The rooms (we had 2 adjoining rooms b/c we are a big family) were clean as were the bathrooms. No trouble with showers or other fixtures as noted in other reviews. Housekeeping did a nice job. Heat was good and beds comfortable. Do have single serving coffee makers in the room. This is probably a 2.5 - 3 star hotel for amenities and rooms, but the location is 4 star. Hotel is right on the beach with no roads to cross to get there - a real plus with the young kids.

Kids really enjoyed the indoor pool and jacuzzi. These were clean and are in a large, glass enclosed room overlooking the ocean. Fun to swim and look out at the ocean. Again, we visited in the winter and can see how an indoor heated pool may not hit the spot in summer (there is no outdoor pool).

The hotel has great location and is right on the beach. Plenty of restaurants nearby. Near good off season activities like Wright Bros Memorial and Jockey's Ridge and only 20 minutes to NC Aquarium and Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo.

Yes, the elevator is slow. Yes, the skylight in the lobby leaked when it rained. I would also suggest the staff leave a supply of pool towels in the pool area - although front desk did provide extras on request. True that there is no free continental breakfast. Was not crazy about the non-cancellable reservation and not sure if that is their policy year round. Good news is they are nowhere near full in the off season and you can wait till the last minute to make the reservation.

But, the Nags Head area from what I saw does not have any true 3.5, 4 or 5 star hotels. Closest thing to that is the Sanderling Inn up in Duck and that is really expensive. If you are looking for a high rise hotel with incredible amenities, restaurants, night life and service - you should go somewhere other than Nags Head for vacation! I say that not to be a smart aleck, but because it is the truth and it will save you some frustration and disappointment.

The Nags Head Inn is about pretty basic yet comfortable accommodations, great location and great family time. AAA rate was very reasonable.

Hope this review is helpful.

• Liked — Location, indoor pool
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Virginia007
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
I am glad that you enjoyed your visit with us. Thank you for taking the time to let us know.

I would like to respond to your concerns:
We are in the process of adding a rack for towels in the pool area for our guest's convenience.

I also want to clarify the cancellation policy that you mentioned.  We do have a  72 hour cancellation policy for reservations.  If someone makes a reservation within 3 days of arrival it becomes a "no cancel" reservation.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope that you will come to see us again.

Sue Hogan
High Point, NC
Reviewed November 30, 2008

This place was trouble from the very start. On the first night we had NO hot water in either the sink or shower. After waiting 45 min. for the repair, we were told it would be the next day before the repair could be made. We were offered the use of another room for showering. The next day I asked for an adjustment on my bill as we had to use a room that was cheaper than what we had booked. I was told that the bill had been discounted by 10% since I had an AARP card and that I could shower in one room and sleep in the other. I DO NOT shower in one room of a motel and then dash across the hall to sleep. I infomed my a woman I assume to be a manger that it would be the next day before the problem with the hot water would be fixed. I told her that I would check out, find another motel and file a complaint with the BBB. Amazingly, the bill was adjusted and we had hot water. Also, the shower head is very small and the water pressure was barely adequate. There are two elevaltors in the motel, but only one works and it is so slow and noisy that you wonder if you will get stuck in between floors. We have stayed here before and everything was fine. I don't know what has happened since our first visit, but this is my LAST visit to Nags Head Inn. It should be called Nags Head pig pen.

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Disliked — Lack of hot water and poor front desk service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Quakergirl46
PA
Reviewed August 21, 2008

I am grateful that the Nags Head Inn is there offering the great memory that I retain of the peace, quiet, and relaxation that I was able to achieve during my 8/2008 stay. TheHousekeeping service is outstanding as the sheets and pillows smell clean and fresh, the bathroom was sparkling new, and the A/C worked wonderfully even through the hottest days. The front desk staff was fantastically upbeat and helpful. And then there was the ocean view which mesmerized me right from my room. And the beach is not crowded, particularly if you walk a bit to the north. What more could I want. Now, this is not a posh place - it's practical, spartan, and has obviously been there a bit. But it is the beach.

• Liked — Direct baeach and ocean view; uncrowded beach because it's in residential section.
  • Disliked — Too many smokers in NC though the hotel does have a non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Bodieblue
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!