“Extremely helpful Front Desk Staff!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront

Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Extremely helpful Front Desk Staff!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Our stay at the Nags Head Inn was one of the best stays at a hotel we've had in a long time. My husband is handicapped and not only did they help whenever we needed to go out the door, as he had a walker, one girl I believe her name is Lilly or Lilian actually helped me get my husband into the car. That alone shows that the staff at this hotel actually care about their guests and their experiences!

The rooms were clean, the housekeeping staff absolutely fantastic!! The sweet potato biscuits were really good, the satellite TV and flat screen were really nice!

We will be back every year, as the staff and this hotel went above and beyond what we expected.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Nags Head Inn. We do our best to accommodate all of our guests to make their visit to the Outer Banks a memorable one. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you stay with us again in 2012.

Sue Hogan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

My dad and I stayed at Nags head Inn for one night on our way to Ocracoke after having found it for a reasonable price on the internet the day before. The service at the front desk upon arrival was not the best in all honesty. There were two ladies at the desk, one of which was a feisty blonde woman who appeared to be belittling another member of staff just as we were checking in which was rather unfortunate and unnecessary in front of clients. This commotion was caused after we had asked to change from a regular room to another room offering an ocean view rather than a view of the towns main road. We paid an extra $46 for the privilege of seeing the ocean which we thought was totally worth it even though we were only there for one night.

We stayed in a room with two double beds that met our needs perfectly. Whilst certainly not being a top of the line hotel, Nags Head Inn does offer customers a comfortable place to stay for a few nights.

The breakfast did not look the best. We didn’t indulge in it ourselves but it was comprised of pre-packaged snacks and juices which seem to be quite standard in this part of the world, much to my dismay.

The beach in front of the hotel is kept clean and there were quite a few people either swimming or fishing on it when we were there and it is perfect for an afternoon stroll. The pool and Jacuzzi/hot tub were unfortunately not so nice. The pool is pretty small and highly chlorinated and the Jacuzzi was mobbed with people.

I probably wouldn't choose to stay here again but it was not all that bad.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view rooms, even if it costs!
  • Stayed May 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ElementTraveler
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review the Nags Head Inn. The staff takes a lot pride in offering our guests a clean and comfortable place to stay while on the Outer Banks and we are glad that you enjoyed that aspect of your stay.
The front desk person that you mentioned was not belittling the other worker – the younger girl was in training and the room type change offered the perfect teaching opportunity for her. Learning this procedure gives her the skills that she will need in order to take care of all of our guests’ needs.
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

Fast, easy check in, friendly staff. Oceanfront room was spacious and clean. Have never slept well in a hotel until staying here. They were friendly and helpful. Loved the little sweet potato biscuits & coffee. I didn't like the parking lot between us and the ocean, but got over that little inconvenience quickly.
Great stay!

Room Tip: We were 4th floor ocean front. View was great!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anniep2
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review the Nags Head Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come visit us again soon.

Portsmouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

Words of advice.....first impressions are everything. Reservation staff was rude and not very helpful....booked at another hotel !!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent phone call to the hotel. I am sorry that the person that you spoke to was not as helpful as she should have been. I can assure you that this is not up to the usual standards for guest relations here at the Nags Head Inn. I hope that you will try us again.
charlottesville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

We visited April 5-9 and took advantage of the "pay for 3 nights get the 4th night free" promotion listed on the hotel's website. The room was clean and appeared to have been recently redecorated. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed i've slept in (not too firm, not too soft). However, their double room is two long double sized (rather than queen-sized) beds so we needed a roll-around bed for my son (my husband and i need a little more space each for sleeping than a double provides.) The roll-around cost an additional $10/day. Our room was on the top floor, steet side and we enjoyed a sunset view of the sound which was lovely. The free "contiental breakfast" wasn't worth the trouble getting there. It included packaged pastries, juice, and biscuits that i couldn't eat (i'm vegi). The hotel is located in the middle of a lot of homes so it's fairly quiet. The indoor pool seemed a bit dated but was one of the main reasons we selected this hotel over others. We were affraid my son wouldn't be able to swim in the ocean because we visited so early in the season. The hot tub was a good perk and we enjoyed using it in the evening. Most of the hotel staff were great and helpful. The daytime receptionist were always helpful with restraunt suggestions & dirrections. The housekeeps did a good job cleaning the room and left us a little "thank you" note of their own when we left a small tip. However, the people in the room next to ours were there for a wedding and two nights in a row were VERY loud. My husband called the front desks both nights and the second night, the receptionist said he wouldn't call the room next door because the previous night, the occupants told him they'd simply been playing their tv too loud. The hotel advertises itself as a "family" hotel so this lack of intervention on the part of the night-time male receptionist was inappropriate. Outside of this particular experience, we had a great time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank oriahlee
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn. I am sorry that you had noisy “neighbors” and that your complaint was not handled to your satisfaction by the night desk staff. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay otherwise and hope that you will return soon.
(FYI – we also have guest rooms with 1 king size bed and a double sleeper sofa that might be more to your liking than the doubles.)

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

Was looking to just get a way for a long weekend with my husband and 2 year old son and choose to stay at the Nags Head Inn for their location, accomodations and reasonable rates since we werent staying long enough to rent a home. The staff was kind enough to give us two connecting rooms since we were traveling with my folks.
I thought the rooms were very nice and comfortable with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. TVs were all flat screens and they just installed Directv which is what we have at home so that was a nice surprise. We had an oceanfront room and even though it was cold and windy the view was great.
Saturday morning I went to see if the sweet potato biscuits provided were as good as promised. I have to say I was a little disappointed. They were ok but not anything special. We were planning on going out for breakfast and since the pier was closed went to the Dunes instead. What a great surprise! Great breakfast, great service, excellent prices. We'll definitely be back.
Couple other thoughts on the hotel...pool was heated but it was a bit cold when we tried it out and the hot tub was REALLY hot. Never had a need to contact the front desk too much but they seemed pretty friendly and accommodating when we did.
Overall we had a good time. We went to get away for a few days,just take it easy and enjoy the fam. That's exactly what we did. We typically rent a beach house for vacations in the OBX. If we do go back for another long weekend we'll be coming back to the Nags Head Inn.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 9, 2011
We are glad you enjoyed your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn. We have tried to improve the quality of our facility by adding several recent room updates including the new flat screen televisions with HD service and we are glad you enjoyed them. We look forward to hosting your family on your next visit to the Outer Banks.

Newport News, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

We came to the OBX for one night in March (off season) to celebrate my husband's birthday. It ended up being cold and windy and generally bad weather, but we came anyway. I booked through hotels.com and got what I thought was a good price about three weeks in advance. I called the hotel a week before we came to request an early check in since we were driving from Virginia and wanted to get in earlier. They told me they would include it in the notes and while it wasn't gauranteed it shouldn't be a problem.

We arrived at the hotel at 1:00 pm and they told us our room wasn't ready yet, okay fine, we decided to check in then go get some lunch and come back. They told us they would call as soon as it was ready. We drove around aimlessly for a couple hours and came back at 3:40 pm when they still hadn't called us. When we arrived they told us our room was still not available. I attempted to ask for another room, which they did not oblige. There were about 10 cars in the parking lot, it is off season people. So, we went and drove around for another 20 minutes and came back at 4:01. When we drove up we saw about 6 members of the cleaning staff outside having a smoke break which was lovely and when we got to the front desk they were unsure if it was ready still. Lucklily, the room was literally just cleaned (cleaning cart was in the room next door to ours).

I can understand not being able to meet an early check-in, but the most bothersome part was the complete lack of effort and concern on the manager and cleaning staff's part. The manager was completey apathetic and seemed as if she could care less if we got into our room at all nor did she care that we were there. The other front desk receptionist was nice, but not particularly helpful. Our stay was okay. The rooms are renovated, but the hotel is still old and the bones could use some updating (such as a rusty bed lamp). View was pretty good. There were Corona beer bottle tops on our balcony, but the rest of the room seemed clean.

We ventured down to the hot tub 4 times during the evening only to find it occupied with children and many adults every single time. This is not really the hotels fault, but there were screaming children jumping in and out of the hot tub all night and there were no pool towels from 6:00 on.

Breakfast in the morning is abismal. It is in a guest room (hospitality suite) because the lobby is so small and it offered only packaged pastries and biscuits which could be microwaved.

The last thing that upset me was the final charge. I asked the front desk why my hotels.com confirmation said that I would be charged $86.50 and they had charged my credit card $105? The manager proceeded to explain that hotel taxes and fees were added of $10, okay, that is fine. But then she tells me that there is an additional "travel agent" fee of $9 because we booked through hotels.com and she proceeds to write the fee on my bill in pencil. This, if I am not mistaken, is the fee the hotel should absorb by renting their rooms on hotels.com. Why was I being charged your fee? It was very misleading and certain left me with a bad feeling that I had been ripped off.

Overall, I wouldn't stay there again, off-season or not. If you don't care that I am there and don't treat me fairly why should I come?

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
We are sorry that you were not happy with your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn.
There is only a 3 - 4 hour window for the staff to clean, sanitize and service the guest rooms between check out and the afternoon check in. In the case of the weekend of your visit, nearly all of the oceanfront rooms had been rented the night before you arrived plus, the company that was installing HD television service to all of the guest rooms was working to complete that project. The maintenance and housekeeping staffs got the rooms ready as quickly as they possibly could, but there was a lot that needed to be done in those few hours. As you said, your room was available to you at 4PM, our normal check in time.

We are sorry that the on line travel agency that you used did not itemize the taxes and fees on your confirmation.

Please know that we value all of our guests and apologize that you feel that you were not treated fairly during your stay here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,402 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks/ Corolla
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,340 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!