All reviewsbiscuitsindoor poolocean frontthe outer banksfifth floorroom was cleanstreet sidehot tubsun deckbeach accessoceanfront roomfront desk staffbeach hotelhear the wavesstaff was very friendlyoff seasonwatch the sunrise
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Words of advice.....first impressions are everything. Reservation staff was rude and not very helpful....booked at another hotel !!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent phone call to the hotel. I am sorry that the person that you spoke to was not as helpful as she should have been. I can assure you that this is not up to the usual standards for guest relations here at the Nags Head Inn. I hope that you will try us again.

Reviewed April 23, 2011

We visited April 5-9 and took advantage of the "pay for 3 nights get the 4th night free" promotion listed on the hotel's website. The room was clean and appeared to have been recently redecorated. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed i've slept in (not too firm, not too soft). However, their double room is two long double sized (rather than queen-sized) beds so we needed a roll-around bed for my son (my husband and i need a little more space each for sleeping than a double provides.) The roll-around cost an additional $10/day. Our room was on the top floor, steet side and we enjoyed a sunset view of the sound which was lovely. The free "contiental breakfast" wasn't worth the trouble getting there. It included packaged pastries, juice, and biscuits that i couldn't eat (i'm vegi). The hotel is located in the middle of a lot of homes so it's fairly quiet. The indoor pool seemed a bit dated but was one of the main reasons we selected this hotel over others. We were affraid my son wouldn't be able to swim in the ocean because we visited so early in the season. The hot tub was a good perk and we enjoyed using it in the evening. Most of the hotel staff were great and helpful. The daytime receptionist were always helpful with restraunt suggestions & dirrections. The housekeeps did a good job cleaning the room and left us a little "thank you" note of their own when we left a small tip. However, the people in the room next to ours were there for a wedding and two nights in a row were VERY loud. My husband called the front desks both nights and the second night, the receptionist said he wouldn't call the room next door because the previous night, the occupants told him they'd simply been playing their tv too loud. The hotel advertises itself as a "family" hotel so this lack of intervention on the part of the night-time male receptionist was inappropriate. Outside of this particular experience, we had a great time.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank oriahlee
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn. I am sorry that you had noisy “neighbors” and that your complaint was not handled to your satisfaction by the night desk staff. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay otherwise and hope that you will return soon.
(FYI – we also have guest rooms with 1 king size bed and a double sleeper sofa that might be more to your liking than the doubles.)

Reviewed April 6, 2011

Was looking to just get a way for a long weekend with my husband and 2 year old son and choose to stay at the Nags Head Inn for their location, accomodations and reasonable rates since we werent staying long enough to rent a home. The staff was kind enough to give us two connecting rooms since we were traveling with my folks.
I thought the rooms were very nice and comfortable with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. TVs were all flat screens and they just installed Directv which is what we have at home so that was a nice surprise. We had an oceanfront room and even though it was cold and windy the view was great.
Saturday morning I went to see if the sweet potato biscuits provided were as good as promised. I have to say I was a little disappointed. They were ok but not anything special. We were planning on going out for breakfast and since the pier was closed went to the Dunes instead. What a great surprise! Great breakfast, great service, excellent prices. We'll definitely be back.
Couple other thoughts on the hotel...pool was heated but it was a bit cold when we tried it out and the hot tub was REALLY hot. Never had a need to contact the front desk too much but they seemed pretty friendly and accommodating when we did.
Overall we had a good time. We went to get away for a few days,just take it easy and enjoy the fam. That's exactly what we did. We typically rent a beach house for vacations in the OBX. If we do go back for another long weekend we'll be coming back to the Nags Head Inn.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn. We have tried to improve the quality of our facility by adding several recent room updates including the new flat screen televisions with HD service and we are glad you enjoyed them. We look forward to hosting your family on your next visit to the Outer Banks.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

We came to the OBX for one night in March (off season) to celebrate my husband's birthday. It ended up being cold and windy and generally bad weather, but we came anyway. I booked through hotels.com and got what I thought was a good price about three weeks in advance. I called the hotel a week before we came to request an early check in since we were driving from Virginia and wanted to get in earlier. They told me they would include it in the notes and while it wasn't gauranteed it shouldn't be a problem.

We arrived at the hotel at 1:00 pm and they told us our room wasn't ready yet, okay fine, we decided to check in then go get some lunch and come back. They told us they would call as soon as it was ready. We drove around aimlessly for a couple hours and came back at 3:40 pm when they still hadn't called us. When we arrived they told us our room was still not available. I attempted to ask for another room, which they did not oblige. There were about 10 cars in the parking lot, it is off season people. So, we went and drove around for another 20 minutes and came back at 4:01. When we drove up we saw about 6 members of the cleaning staff outside having a smoke break which was lovely and when we got to the front desk they were unsure if it was ready still. Lucklily, the room was literally just cleaned (cleaning cart was in the room next door to ours).

I can understand not being able to meet an early check-in, but the most bothersome part was the complete lack of effort and concern on the manager and cleaning staff's part. The manager was completey apathetic and seemed as if she could care less if we got into our room at all nor did she care that we were there. The other front desk receptionist was nice, but not particularly helpful. Our stay was okay. The rooms are renovated, but the hotel is still old and the bones could use some updating (such as a rusty bed lamp). View was pretty good. There were Corona beer bottle tops on our balcony, but the rest of the room seemed clean.

We ventured down to the hot tub 4 times during the evening only to find it occupied with children and many adults every single time. This is not really the hotels fault, but there were screaming children jumping in and out of the hot tub all night and there were no pool towels from 6:00 on.

Breakfast in the morning is abismal. It is in a guest room (hospitality suite) because the lobby is so small and it offered only packaged pastries and biscuits which could be microwaved.

The last thing that upset me was the final charge. I asked the front desk why my hotels.com confirmation said that I would be charged $86.50 and they had charged my credit card $105? The manager proceeded to explain that hotel taxes and fees were added of $10, okay, that is fine. But then she tells me that there is an additional "travel agent" fee of $9 because we booked through hotels.com and she proceeds to write the fee on my bill in pencil. This, if I am not mistaken, is the fee the hotel should absorb by renting their rooms on hotels.com. Why was I being charged your fee? It was very misleading and certain left me with a bad feeling that I had been ripped off.

Overall, I wouldn't stay there again, off-season or not. If you don't care that I am there and don't treat me fairly why should I come?

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
innkeeperNagsHeadNC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2011

We are sorry that you were not happy with your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn.
There is only a 3 - 4 hour window for the staff to clean, sanitize and service the guest rooms between check out and the afternoon check in. In the case of the weekend of your visit, nearly all of the oceanfront rooms had been rented the night before you arrived plus, the company that was installing HD television service to all of the guest rooms was working to complete that project. The maintenance and housekeeping staffs got the rooms ready as quickly as they possibly could, but there was a lot that needed to be done in those few hours. As you said, your room was available to you at 4PM, our normal check in time.

We are sorry that the on line travel agency that you used did not itemize the taxes and fees on your confirmation.

Please know that we value all of our guests and apologize that you feel that you were not treated fairly during your stay here.

Reviewed March 20, 2011

I was a little skeptical about this hotel because of all the bad reviews about customer service and cleanliness. When we arrived we were greeted and welcomed. The staff must have got the memo about positive customer service. During our entire stay we were greeted and asked if we needed anything by front desk staff and housekeeping. The renovations were outstanding. Our king room was very bright and spacious. The bed was comfortable and the linens were clean and fresh.

The views from our oceanside room were breathtaking. I requested to stay on the top floor during reservations (5th floor) and the request was honored. This hotel is close to many restaurants and shopping (Tanger Outlets). I found it interesting that this is the only hotel in it's area. It is situation among rental units so the beach was less crowded in our area-this may be a perk during peak season.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and those sweet potato biscuits. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sparker84

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at the Nags Head Inn. We are making every effort to provide our guests with a great vacation experience. I am glad that everything went well during your stay and that you were pleased with the accommodations (and those great sweet potato biscuits). We hope that you will come back to stay with us again.