New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“seems like family!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Islander Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nags Head
Islander Motel
You added Islander Motel to your Saves list
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Fairfax, Virginia
“seems like family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed regularly for 20+ years. Wonderful staff, well-maintained rooms. Great ocean-front location. Nice, clean pool. Not luxury, but good value.Small and cozy.Pretty gardens.Always stay in same room,first floor, ocean-front with easy beach access.Good for a short 5 day stay. Will go again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jeanine F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Mooresville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was disappointed in Motel which I thought was run down & smelled of bug spray. Had planned on staying longer but didn't find Kitty Hawk much to my liking, a little too much like Myrtle Beach. Happily front desk refunded our money with no hassle. Very nice beach at motel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our family went to the Outer Banks/Nags Head earlier this month. We stayed at the Islander for 4 days and loved it. It had all the features of staying in a house (we had a room with a kitchen), but the towels and sheets were changed out everyday. It was perfect. The room was slightly dated, but beachy. It was also very clean, I felt comfortable letting our 1-year-old loose on the floor. It's also in a great location. It's within walking distance to numerous restaurants, market, etc., and right on the beach. Our room had a front and a rear door, which was very handy.

We also loved the pool and swings outside. It was a very relaxing and comfortable stay. I wish there were more motels like this one. There's nothing I would change about this place. We will be back in a year or two.

Room Tip: If you're on the lower floors, does not matter if you're facing ocean side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Disbet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The Islander Motel is a very peaceful and relaxing location. The rooms are very clean, the staff is great and the view of the ocean spectacular. If you just need to get away to unwind, this is the place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Billie F
Lexington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had a great experience from the first moment we walked into the lobby. The lady at the front desk was super nice and made us feel welcome. She recommended a couple of local (and affordable) restaurants for us to try. The room was a little out dated, but suited our needs perfectly. Our room had 2 double beds, a sitting area, a microwave & fridge, and a balcony with a view of the ocean- oh yeah and WiFi. The cleaning staff did a great job as everything was spotless! This quaint little motel is located right on the ocean. Their pool was a little small, but served its purpose. There were grills for the guests to use and plenty of picnic areas sprawled around the motel yard. We wish we could have stayed longer and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Ocean views are from the 2nd floor and up- no elevators.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cluvsbeach
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

If you like quick access to the beach and aren't too fussy about accommodations, this is the place to make your reservation.

I came to Nags Head with no reservations and had a hard to time finding a room anywhere in the area. Luckily The Islander Motel had a room. The only catch: they required a two-night minimum stay (and I only needed a room for one night). I gave in and booked for two nights.

The lady at the front desk was very nice and friendly. I came there at 1 pm on a Saturday and she told me that the room would be ready in an hour. I got my room (104) right on time.

Normally I hate having a first floor room because of the noise created by upstairs neighbors, but I never heard a peep out of anyone the whole time I stayed there (and the motel was full). The only outside sounds I heard were those of cicadas.

The room was very clean and had plenty of space. Accesses to the main living area and the bathroom are through the kitchenette (two burner stove, under-counter refrigerator, sink combo opposite the dining table near the front door). The soft, pastel colored room furnishings were in good working order (no signs of wear) and were comfortable. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the A/C and ceiling fan worked perfectly. The flat-screen TV worked great although a limited number of channels. Internet access was decent. The bathroom had a reasonable amount of space and was very clean--save for a few human hairs around the base of the toilet. I love a shower/tub with nice, really hot, water--this one had it. The motel did provide bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. Also, from room 104, I had one the closest accesses to the beach from the back door as well as the front door.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank JDWTraveler
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I just spent three nights at the Islander Motel. Perfect for those seeking a clean, economical place to stay at Nags Head. At the south end of the area, it is away from the hoopla of this vacation mecca. The motel is quiet and well managed. Delightful property with lovely plantings and wooden walkways to the beach. Also a pool that is open off season...small but with comfortable chaises and umbrelled tables and chairs. Plenty of tables outside and hammock chairs for reading and relaxing. I stayed in a ground floor room...small kitchen but perfect for me who makes all my meals while on vacation. Cable TV and wi-fi...everything necessary to stay connected if needed. Less than 1/2 mile to entrance to Cape Hatteras Island National Seashore and Hatteras Island. This is a small, lovely property with all the necessities for the well-seasoned traveler who doesn't want a highrise hotel atmosphere. Perfect for a single traveler...well managed office and nice staff...slightly off the road with no noise or foot traffic on property.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony with a view you need to stay on the second or third floors. My ground level ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.5 of 5 stars 703 reviews

Been to Islander Motel? Share your experiences!