“The hotel was GREAT stay at a GREAT value but bring your own hairdryer!”
Review of Islander Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nags Head
Islander Motel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Millers Creek, North Carolina
“The hotel was GREAT stay at a GREAT value but bring your own hairdryer!”
Reviewed May 17, 2011

That's the only thing that our next door neighbors were missing, but we shared. There are always a few thngs that need work in a hotel but all in all was a great place to stay. Rate was reasonable, Room was roomy, comfortable, clean and bright. Room had a 4-cup coffeepot, microwave and small refrigerator that all worked well. Internet worked just fine for my needs. Back deck was comfy too. I dont usually stay in hotels with outside entryways but this one was totally safe and comfortable. Will pick it again when I return to Nags Head! Non smoking room and the AC didn't stink when I turned it on! (We did not stay in room 101 like previous review.)

Room Tip: Bring your own hairdryer.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Grammy920

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed January 11, 2011

On a whim, I decided it would be nice to spend the 4th of July in Nags Head. I read positive reviews about the Islander and called last minute---2 weeks before the 4th. We got the only room they had left. Having never been to Nags Head I feared our motel would be dirty and unsuitable, however we were pleasantly surprised! The landscaping was beautiful, the rooms were clean, and we were right on the beach which was a big plus with having two children in tow everyday. The pool was nice and the beach was hardly ever crowded. We drove around and looked at other motels in the area and decided ours was the nicest! We are making plans to go back this summer---can't wait!

• Stayed July 2010
4 Thank Purplegreenandyellow
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I traveled to the OBX with my 3 kids, 3, 5, and 7 so I was concerned about having a safe, easy beach access, affordable place to stay. The Islander met all those requirements!! I felt safe-both on the property and in the room. It was easy to get to the beach....(for the OBX) they have a nice walkway and a great place to rinse off after the beach. For the cost, well, it was ocean front in August, but it was reasonable.

The room was large enough for us to be comfortable and after a quick trip to the store we were able to put food right in the mini fridge. The little freezer kept the ice packs frozen, so we could pack the cooler. The grounds were great. After a day exploring the area and being on the beach, we sat down near the pool and the kids sat in the hammock swing while I watched the bird. Nice and relaxing.

There were great places to eat that were within walking distance (.5 miles at most) and when we didn't want to go out we ordered pizza and had it delivered.

The only complaint I had was that the internet was not working correctly so it prevented us from Skyping with Daddy...and the phone in the room was down due to a storm.

I hope the hurricane season spares the area...WE will be back--with Dad this time!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank funbeachlover
DarienJim
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We booked three rooms with 4 teenage kids. Let me first say if you want to stay in Nags Head it is a very convenient location. (Personally the beaches there seemed to be hammered badly by erosion and I would pick another location.). This hotel is right on the beach bluff and access is easy. Room are decent size and varied by bed choices so make sure to check the exact layout. Do not get room 101 as it was very musty/mildewy smell that required us to leave the door open almost all day (did not fix the problem.). Third floor rooms have views. I cannot recommend solely due to room 101 but our other two rooms were fine. Water pressure as mentioned in another room is a problem--shower temperature is very touchy. Nice pool area just off beach. Free Internet connection crashed and never came up again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2010

The staff is very personable and helpful. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are NOTHING fancy and the furnishings dated, but our room was very clean and spacious. We had a partial view room and was impressed with the view. The beach access couldn't be easier - just steps away from the sand!! The pool area is nice and clean and offers a couple of tables with umbrellas, plenty of lounge chairs and a simple pool. The grounds were lovely. You can tell much pride is taken in this small Hotel. We loved it and we'll be back again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank kcstyle
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 7, 2010

The location of the motel was very good. Lot's of things to do nearby and we could walk out to the beach. The room was a little cramped and the water pressure for the shower was poor. Decent sized refrigerator. Very small freezer. Pretty expensive for the room, but not sure you will do much better at this location this time of year.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed June 28, 2010

The location of the Islander is great! Right on the beach, great views from the hotel, and within walking distance of restaurants. The fun stops there. The sheets are itchy, pillows are hard, the shower water is either really hot or freezing cold and the walls are paper thin. Part of the reason that I chose this hotel was for the wireless internet ...the connection was so terrible that i only had one bar the entire trip! I could barely load a webpage on my iPad.

When we finally got out of this place, we realized that we were overcharge $10 a night. When we asked the manager for a refund and showed her the reservation email on our phone, she yelled at my boyfriend saying "give me your card! hurry up now! i don't have all day!" and treated us like crap.

I'll be staying at the Surf Side next year.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#13 of 13 in Nags Head
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Islander Motel? Share your experiences!