“An excellent adventure, on a short notice.”
Review of Tar Heel Motel

Tar Heel Motel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you need a place in nags head for a vacation, without having to spend thousands of dollars. The Tar Heel Motel fits the bill.Y our close to the fishing pier and across the street from the beach, the rooms are clean and bug free, I had an excellent weekend vacation on short notice.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank martinb839
There are newer reviews for Tar Heel Motel

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I took my 16 year-old son and 2 of his buds to the beach in late June. I was familiar with the Tarheel from a number of previous visits. It is not fancy, nor frequented by the upper class beach goers, but it fills its niche well. It is for real people...fishermen, but also families who want to spend their days doing something other than hanging out in the room. The motel was clean, the staff friendly and the facilities more than adequate. Our room had 2 queen-sized beds, a mini-frig and a microwave....all for around $100 each night. That is great for OBX in the high season. It is close to good places to eat...I like Tale of the Whale...and shopping if that is your thing. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Ctrylwyr
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our room was very clean and comfortable. The Staff was friendly and helpful. I loved the location, It is not beach front but we were just a short walk from the beach! We swam in the ocean while my husband fished from the pier. It is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank brencook
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here again August 2012 for 3 nights. I was given a remodeled room and had a pleasant time there. This motel by no means is "fancy", but by the prices (89.00 a night), that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. My room was clean, staff was friendly, A/C worked wonderfully, and the bathroom was fine.

I go down to the OBX for their beaches, so a clean, safe place for me to sleep at night is all I look for - and the Tar Heel provides that. The staff is wonderful too...Yes, there are things they could improve on, but it's like that no matter where you stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Msavoy97
Reviewed September 25, 2012

+'s are a very good air conditioner, refrigerator, microwave, good bed, good parking, nice location, good lighting, and when I stayed here in mid September a good rate. The bed I found to be decent but not great so I give that a neutral. The -'s are no telephone in rooms, wobbly table in mine, venetian blind didn't have a rod to close them so I had to reach up to the top of the blinds and turn what normally would be turned by the rod, and the shower was not great as far as pressure goes.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank tfberry
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed 4days 3nights in mid September with husband in room #30. The room was very clean, the mattresses were almost new. Bedding was clean and the towels were really nice quality. The motel is older like a lot of other motels in that area but it is in awesome location. The staff was very nice as well. Please do not expect to stay at a fancy resort~ based on the rates you should know this is a BUDGET motel. It has all you need for a comfortable stay to enjoy the Outer Banks. We also used the pool, picnic area. The pool was very clean and the bbq we used worked well and took advantage of the picnic area. Overall a great stay and we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I just don't understand some of these reviews....the Tar heel offers clean comfortable rooms at a great price....no it doesn't have fully stocked kitchens or full size tubs.....if you want those amenities, you should rent a house or cottage.....trhe office staff is very helpful and knowledgable about the area....just ask them for tips and hints....the housekeeping staff is second to none and the motel provides a pool, a grill and clotheslines....you can spend twice as much on a room down here and not be as satisfied as we were....we will be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Tar Heel Motel? Share your experiences!