“Highly Recommended!!!!”

Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe
Ranked #14 of 89 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Description: At Lone Cedar Cafe, we specialize in fresh and local seafood. If you're craving the freshest fish, clams, crab, shrimp and oysters from local North Carolina waters, you'll find them at the Lone Cedar Cafe. For generations, Outer Banks families made their livings - and their daily meals - from the bounty of local waters, caught fresh every day. Our family, the Basnights, were part of that history, and we continue the tradition today by serving only the freshest Outer Banks seafood, caught in local waters and brought to our docks daily by local fishermen, then cleaned and prepared right here at the Lone Cedar Cafe. Our vegetables are "just picked" from North Carolina farms, we serve only all-natural beef and poultry and even our herbs and greens are grown in our own chemical-free garden on-site. Come enjoy delicious food, gorgeous sunsets and panoramic water views, the antics of our resident ospreys and our warm Southern hospitality.
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Because there were so many choices in seafood restaurants in Nag's Head, my wife and I didn't want to spend a lot of time riding and window-shopping for a good seafood experience, so we asked a local resident who has lived here for 50 years for advice. Basnight's Lone Cedar was her immediate recommendation. The location is outstanding, with water views from any seat in the restaurant. We watched a breathtaking sunset over the Roanoke Sound as we had drinks to get the meal started. Our waitress, Sarah, was a true professional, giving us excellent information on the seasonal freshly caught options, as well as the standard menu offerings. We chose the Cajun spiced buffalo shrimp for our appetizer: fried medium shrimp in a buffalo wing sauce with celery and ranch dressing on the side. I am extremely picky when it comes to properly cooked shrimp, and this was an excellently prepared, generous serving of fresh shrimp.....crunchy outside, but tender inside....just right! We were offered rolls and /or cornbread, and we chose just to have a serving of cornbread.....excellent as we'll! From the regular menu, my wife chose the jumbo lump crab cakes, with fresh sautéed green beans and a baked potato, and I chose the fresh caught grilled yellowfin tuna with a basil sauce with mashed potatoes. The grilled tuna was perfect....best I've ever had! The mashed potatoes were excellent as we'll. Now for the best part! WOW!! The jumbo lump crab cakes were the star of the party.....I'm glad I insisted on ordering an extra on on my wife's order for me to sample......the local resident told us the crab cakes were to die for and she was right. I've had crab cakes in a lot of seafood restaurants, and have tried to cook them at home, and have never been overly impressed. I overheard the waiter at the next table telling someone that people drive from Virginia quite often just for the Basnight's crab cakes, and I can see why. We chose the fried option, and every bite was outstanding. I must brag on the fresh salad and sautéed green beans, all fresh from local farms. I can't say enough about Sarah, our server. she was very knowledgeable about the restaurant, and it's history, and even knew the names of the fishermen who provide the fresh catch offerings daily. We will definitely be back this week to try something new....probably the soft shell crabs, which are still in season.....lucky for us!

june39, Owner at Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed dining with us! Our crab cakes are a favorite...made from fresh local crabmeat and little else! Thank you for taking time to write a review. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,532)

Reviewed June 16, 2014

The food was excellent as usual. The service and conversation superb! My husband said
it was so good it brought tears to his eyes. Love the family atmosphere. The view is the
best on the beach. We have never been disappointed. This is why we keep visiting the
restaurant over and over.

We are so glad you enjoyed our Father's Day buffet. We want our guests to feel welcome and to enjoy our fresh local food! Thanks for letting us know that was accomplished! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Just had another awesome meal at Basnights Lone Cedar Cafe to celebrate Fathers Day! As usual the service was wonderful, Marie and Sarah took care of us, and the food was superb! I've eaten all over and this is my favorite restaurant anyplace!

Thank you for joining us on Father's Day. We are delighted you enjoyed our buffet. We look forward to serving you again! L

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful place to eat. Every thing we ordered was cooked to perfection. Service superb! We will definitely eat here again when we visit The outer banks.

Thank you for making Lone Cedar Cafe a part of your visit to The Outer Banks. We are so glad you enjoyed dining with us!

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Each time we go to the Outer Banks we look forward to dining at Lone Cedar. The food never disappoints and watching the Osprey, Lucy and Ricky and their hatchlings has become a family tradition.

It's wonderful that you have made visiting Lone Cedar Cafe a family tradition! Thank you!