“Eat Local - Eat Well”

Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe
Ranked #6 of 83 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Description: At Lone Cedar Cafe, we specialize in fresh and local seafood. If you're craving the freshest fish, clams, crab, shrimp and oysters from local North Carolina waters, you'll find them at the Lone Cedar Cafe. For generations, Outer Banks families made their livings - and their daily meals - from the bounty of local waters, caught fresh every day. Our family, the Basnights, were part of that history, and we continue the tradition today by serving only the freshest Outer Banks seafood, caught in local waters and brought to our docks daily by local fishermen, then cleaned and prepared right here at the Lone Cedar Cafe. Our vegetables are "just picked" from North Carolina farms, we serve only all-natural beef and poultry and even our herbs and greens are grown in our own chemical-free garden on-site. Come enjoy delicious food, gorgeous sunsets and panoramic water views, the antics of our resident ospreys and our warm Southern hospitality.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Eat Local - Eat Well”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

After an afternoon spent exploring and shopping on Manteo, we asked a local resident working in the Art Gallery for a restaurant recommendation for dinner. Our selection criteria: Attire - Casual (we were wearing jeans), Cuisine - Local Seafood, Atmosphere - Sit-down service but not checkered tablecloth type, Location - Between Manteo (where we were) and Duck (where we were staying), Price - Moderate (more than $10 but less than $30 per person). The suggestion: Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe. The review of the recommendation: Spot on! There were so many tantalizing options I had difficulty selecting just one. I settled on a cheesy seafood risotto. The portion of seafood earned it's $23 dollar price tag. As I was savoring each bite of the freshly caught shrimp, I was gazing out the window at the water wondering if the chef upon receiving my dish order (from the lovely waitress named April) had simply gone out there to her nearby ocean pantry (and her personal veggie garden) to create my delicious meal. Bottomline: This restaurant met my expectations and may meet yours too!

1 Thank Talk2Elle

• Korean first
North Carolina
“Twice disappointed”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

After a visit last spring that was only average, we ventured back last Saturday for dinner. Despite all the good reviews, we were again disappointed. The food is fresh and great, but that's about it. We waited twice as long as they said for a table (again) despite a number of empty and clean tables. When seated, the server was so rushed as to make our dinner unpleasant. We were asked what we wanted to drink as we were being seated - maybe not always bad, but we wanted to decide what specials might be fun. We were rushed into ordering our meal and were not asked what sides we wanted, My wife's came with somebody's choice of a baked potatoes and "country potatoes" that somebody apparently thought my wife would have ordered - not what would have been selected. My trout was to be served over a great sounding risotta, with tomatoes, shrimp and cheese sauce, but when it was time to serve, the server announced that the trout was ready, but the accompanying side was no longer available. Therefore I paid a premium price for something that I never got. We were offered an apology by the server, but nothing else - choose another dish, price concession, etc.
Twice is enough; despite all the happy reviews, this place is overrated - fast, furious pace, views of the kitchen and serving areas and low on real service.

2 Thank Herb G
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Saved Our First Night”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

After our 3 hour night drive, we arrived in Manteo to find the entire island without power. This being our first trip here in 25 years and the town being pitch black, we drove around dark streets for 15 minutes without a clue as to where we were going. Finally, the lights came on and we found our inn. The innkeeper told us about her favorite restaurant so we headed there: Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe. Big place but lots of people. Luckily, only about a 10 minute wait. Very friendly wait staff. Food came out fast. We started with the jumbo lump crab dip appetizer. My wife, who knows food, called it the best crab dip she's ever had. I couldn't argue. For the entree, I had flounder and crab imperial. This is always hit or miss. They hit it! Excellent taste. My wife had shrimp and grits. It was written up on the menu as "VERY spicy". They didn't lie. Had a great kick to it. My wife loved it. I tried one of the andouille sausages with some of the grits. Excellent. Nice to go someplace new and find a place like this. Fresh seafood. Good service. Turns out, it was a nice start to our vacation weekend!

Newport News, Virginia
“Real Local Seafood”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I am very picky about seafood. When I am on the Outer Banks I want locally caught stuff. Basnight's only serves local seafood - even indicating on the menu the name of the captain who caught it!

Our recent trip did not disappoint. The raw oysters were large and salty. The scallops were fresh and not injected with liquid (a trick a lot of restaurants do to make them look more plump). The crab cakes were full of crab meat - not fillers. The sides were great.

The prices are about average for quality seafood restaurants. Several entres are offered in two sizes. The smaller portion of scallops was plenty for me.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank 1Chuckh
Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent meal, huge portions, great views”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you are o.k. paying for great seafood and great views, come here. We tried the seafood platters (one broiled & one fried) and were pleased. No room for dessert, but it looked good.

Visited October 2012