“Oh My!!!”

Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
North
“Oh My!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

We just got back from our Outer Banks vacation and this was our first time staying at Owens as well as our first trip to the OBX. First I must say I love OBX, it is beautiful, relaxing and fun. We checked in to Owens mid-week and were put in a room in what they call the "courtyard", the second we opened the door the stench of mold took over. The smell was unbearable. The room was clean and tidy with freshly painted walls and a newly tiled bathroom but EVERYTHING smelled of mold and must. I bought Febreze and air fresheners but nothing could get rid of the odor. We are lucky one of us didnt get sick. My entire family was begging to move to a new room at 9:30 at night. I walked to the office to find a note taped to the door that in case of emergencies please call a certain number from 9pm-9am. Unfortunately we were stuck for the night. You can bet that at 9am I was in the office ready to fight for a new room but the lady who works there was so accomadating, she switched us to a new room oceanfront at no extra charge. I was thrilled! We moved across the street to our new room that had no odor and was somewhat clean and overlooked the beach. The bathroom in this room was brand new and lovely, marble tiles and all. The kitchen was outdated and tired, the fridge was rusted and the stove had seen better days. The two full size beds were uncomfortable, the worn wool blankets that they use are terrible and nasty. The rugs had several black stains on the light berber carpet that look unappealling. The white dressers and night table had drink marks on them and were dirty looking. the pool was somewhat small but clean and nice. This place is definately a "motel", no extra comforts here.While the staff was friendly and warm the surroundings screamed cheap motel! It seems that the owners are cheap and dont really take the time and money to update this place and make it a place that you want to come back to. Loved Jane in the office and the entire stay would have been a nightmare if not for her! I know we will not go back to Owens, next time we will rent a house.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Smell
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
16 Thank sinister888music

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lancaster, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2006

We read the previous reviews, and frankly were a bit disappointed. We stayed in 3 different rooms. The first room was on the side near the pool. It was just OK; small and smelly (I bought a candle); No microwave or coffee maker. We asked to be moved because the window air conditioner sounded like a train.

I complained about the ac and was looked at incredulously by the front desk lady who actually lives on the property. However, she did move us to the "Courtyard" side of the complex. This room was bigger and more "hotel" like with a fridge, microwave & coffee maker (bring your own coffee), but the carpet had to be the original, and it was dark. I did feel it was clean, though. The ac was an under the window unit, and it kept turning off by itself.

We were going to need to stay in the area a few more nights, so my husband went to the front desk to see if it was possible to extend our stay. This was luckily a different woman named Christa, who was so nice and offered to give us a beach side room at a very resonable rate. This room was lovely and bright with all the above amenities. The ac is a window unit, but it purred like a kitten.

My suggestion is to ask to see your room before committing to it. If you're not able to do so, you can be sure that your room is clean.

P.S. Owen's Restuarant is a lovely place with excellent (not cheap) food, but it's worth every penny.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank winksgal
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2006

My wife and I went to Nags Head for vacation in june stayed at the owens motel and had a wonderful time hanging out at the beach ,the Owens motel was nice and clean the help did a wonderful job cleaning our room while we were gone, the beach out side the motel was clean and a wonderful place to hang out, we will go back!!!!! thank you for a wonderful stay Larry and Valeda

• Stayed June 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

Stayed at Owens Motel the weekend of August 12 -14. Called numerous motels/hotels to find a room. Finally found one at Owens. If you are familiar with the Nags Head area you know that there are not many hotels and the ones that haven't been torn down are often not very nice. Many of the old hotels have been torn down and replaced with HUGE rental homes.
This makes it harder and harder to make a weekend trip to the Outer Banks. Most houses only rent for the week in the summer and the price for a weekend house or condo rental is usually around $550+ for even a very small unit, if you can find a small unit.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and checked in quickly. The lady working the front desk was extremely nice. All of the staff we encountered were very helpful and pleasant. We stayed in a section of the motel that was previously part of the Quality Inn across the street from the ocean, facing Beach Rd, a very short walk to the beach. I was very glad we were in that section of the motel, as the other part looked rather old, pine paneling etc. We were very pleased with our room. It was small but fine for a quick beach weekend for 2 adults and one child. 2 double beds, cable TV, microwave, refrig, iron/ironing board, hairdryer, small table and 2 chairs. They also have a pool. The bathroom was small and only had a shower, no tub. The room was very clean and the curtains and bedspreads looked fairly new, as did the mattresses. They have chairs in front of each room and the ocean breeze was perfect at night. Overall I think it was a good value and would definitely stay again. When going to the Outer Banks we go for the beach, not resort amenities. I also highly recommend Owens Restuarant - excellent seafood!

16 Thank fun24/7
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2005

We found the Owens Motel after searching through practically EVERY hotel in the Outer Banks for a place to spend a Saturday night. Since it was a summer weekend in July and it was on short notice, everything was booked. The handful of hotels that did have a vacancy either required a minimum 2-night stay or were charging almost $200 bucks/night. (And I'm not exactly talking about luxury hotels either!)

We called the Owens and the lady at the front desk said they only had one room left, but she'd be happy to hold it until we arrived. I was suprised that rate was less than half what the other hotels were charging...no price gouging here!

The motel is small and family-owned/operated. It's adjacent to the Owens restaurant which I'd also recommend if you enjoy seafood. The motel is located near milepost 16 in Nag's Head. It's an older establishment from the pre-development phase when lodging in the Outer Banks consisted of quaint cottages and mom & pop motor lodges. The motel consists of a small two-story building facing the ocean front, a row of rooms on the ocean side facing the parking lot, and a courtyard of rooms across the street from the ocean adjacent to the restaurant.

We stayed in one of the units across the street from the ocean. Access to the beach was easy. We just walked across the street and walked through a breezeway in the 2-story section of the motel. It brings you right out on the dunes and we found that this happened to be a very quiet area of the beach. There is also an outside shower on the side of the building facing the dunes for rinsing off at the end of the day.

Our room had 2 double beds, a small frig, microwave, cable tv, a safe, iron/ironing board, and coffee pot. It wasn't fancy but it had everything you would need for a comfortable stay. The motel was very quiet and it seemed like it accomodates mainly families. The rooms have a small "front porch" which is really just a covered sidewalk outside the door, but they do provide 2 chairs per unit. The staff was pleasant and very "chatty". :)

The decor was comparible to any budget motel (like a Motel 6 or Econo Lodge) and I was suprised to find that the room was so clean. The bath tub, shower curtain, and toliet were spotless and the bed was clean & comfortable. I expected the room to have a more dated appearance and/or a musty smell since most motels near the ocean have moisture problems, but I was pleasantly suprised to find that this wasn't the case.

The only negative things that I noted were that the carpet did look slightly worn in areas but that's to be expected with wet towels, swim suits, sand etc. and there was a small hole in between two ceramic tiles in the bathroom that needed repairing. Also there was a flat sheet instead of a fitted sheet on the mattress, which meant that it didn't stay in place very well. But I did notice that they had a thick fabric matress protector pad under the sheet. Since this can be laudered with the linens, I'm sure this keeps the matresses much more sanitary than just using sheets alone.

Overall, we were happy that we found the Owens Motel and would not hesitate to stay there again.

29 Thank bayhilltrucking2
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,436 reviews

Been to Owens' Motel? Share your experiences!