All reviewsoceanfront efficiencythe outer bankshotels motelslocated within walking distancelate checkoutmom and popview from the balconybeach roadbeach vacationbeach accesssandsamdunesaccommodationsvintageporchhurricane
Reviewed July 4, 2016 via mobile

Since we use Trip Advisor extensively when we travel - and even when we just want to pretend that we're going to travel - there are several rules imparted to me by my wife. One of the first is that establishments with a wide range of reviews are to be carefully evaluated with a critical eye. I believe you can see above that Owens Motel meets that criteria exactly.

We have been going to OBX since 1983. About 1999 we moved our usual destination from Bodie Island to Hatteras Island, specifically Rodanthe. As we have raised a family, taken on sons-in-law, and generally hosted multi-family beach getaways in weekly rentals, we have developed techniques for getting around some logistical problems that you should consider.

Number one: nobody wants to drive to the Outer Banks on a Saturday. The traffic, either on US 64 from Raleigh & Rocky Mount or from the north in the Virginia Tidewater area is atrocious, as is the island traffic. What if you could find a place to stay Friday, perhaps even getting off work early enough to have Friday and Saturday on the beach before your Saturday 6 PM rental? ANSWER: OWENS

Number 1B: particularly, what if you're coming from the southern route and will be departing either to Oregon Inlet for fishing expeditions or across to Pea Island and Hatteras Island? ANSWER: OWENS, one of the southern-most hotels in Nags Head and right at the confluence of the beach road, 151 & 264. Easy.

Number 1C: what if part of your traveling party could run to Food Lion or other chain grocery stores before the crowds on Saturday and bring your weeks groceries directly to your rental, skipping all of that Saturday evening madness in grocery stores a half hour away from your Rodanthe rental? ANSWER: OWENS

Number two: what if some of your party really love to fish and others want to lay out, but have the freedom to go to restaurants, convenience stores or even an air-conditioned room intermittently? ANSWER: OWENS & Jeanette's Pier 50-100 yards away

Number three: what if your 10 a.m. check out on Saturday seems way too early to be leaving a beautiful beach weekend? Might you be able to add Saturday and Sunday in Nags Head by adding Saturday night at ... ANSWER: OWENS

Number four: what if time suddenly opens up for you to grab a week or a part of week or even a long weekend on the Outer Banks? Or, what if you're a surfer and find out that the waves are perfect down at the S curves in Rodanthe? Or a fisherman and find that the blues or other favorite catch are running? Who can you call for an instant base of operations you won't regret? ANSWER: OWENS

Here's the deal: I have stayed at Owens multiple times in the last 18 years. It is a mom and pop establishment. The desk people in my experience are very good; although I suppose they might lose patience with people demanding Hilton accommodations on a budget expenditure. They are upgrading the hotel and the rooms pretty much every year. The across-the-street section, including the older hotel they purchased to add to their capacity, basically has going for it that it's across the street from the ocean it is *very* cheap. Oceanside is a bit nicer and the oceanfront tower, although containing only 16 or 20 rooms to my recollection has some very nice efficiency suites that have been recently refurbished. We stayed across the street last month but I visited a friend who stays frequently in the oceanfront tower. I would happily pay for and stay in either accommodation.

Finally, one last extremely strong recommendation: Owens Family Restaurant! Simply the nicest dinner on the Outer Banks. Count on it.

Thank you for your attention to this rather long post. Now please excuse me while I contact Owens to see if they might have availability for an augmented weekend in two days. ;-)

Stayed: June 2016, traveled with family
12  Thank Hank H
owensnagshead, Manager at Owens' Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2016

Thank you very, very much for your kind review! We appreciate greatly your support and are so delighted to hear your positive comments about our family motel! Thank you also for your mention of Owens Restaurant...we are celebrating 70 years this season and are grateful for you to be a part of this special milestone. Best wishes to you and your family!

Reviewed June 30, 2016 via mobile

My friends and I recently visited the OBX on a week get away and stayed at Owens motel. The motel had an authentic nags head feel and is located next to Jennette's pier which is my favorite beach! The rooms were clean with adequate necessities. It is no Marriott by any means but that's not why I come to the outer banks. If you're looking for a nice and affordable motel on the beach, look no further.

Stayed: July 2016, traveled with friends
owensnagshead, Manager at Owens' Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2016

Thank you so much for staying with us at Owens! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your Tripadvisor review greatly! We are within walking distance to Jennettes Pier, the Tangier Outlet Mall, Cahoons Market, Kitty Hawk Kites Rock Climbing Walls, Nags Head Park and Playground and our beautiful beach. We recently had Beach Nourishment in Nags Head and we now have a very wide, white sandy beach! Thanks again!

Reviewed June 28, 2016

How this motel has escaped negative reviews is only because the front desk crew is so lovely.

This motel is neglected in every way, it had so much potential. Once a mom-n-pop place, it is now a relic of any low-end motor lodge of the 70s. Wood paneling, bulky old furniture, uncomfortable beds, broken blinds and the omnipresent smell of mildew.

The front desk was kind enough to change my building (from across the way) to ocean-side after I presented him with the cockroach that I had trapped in a plastic cup after waking up to it on my shoulder. Truth! I have never experienced anything like this in my life; even camping is cleaner! He thanked me for understanding, and shared with me that it is a familiar problem and he even woke up there once with a cricket on his face!

This is the type of motel that if located anywhere else, it would have permanent residents and "entrepreneurs." Please pay the extra money and look elsewhere. I was budget driven, at a destination wedding, and it completely pulled away from what should have been a relaxing extended weekend. When I returned home, my kids and I threw every piece of fabric we owned into the washing machine, and it was only after hot showers did we stop itching ourselves from head to toe.

The restaurant is magnificent. I will review that separately. Clearly, this is where the owners are investing their money. They are not putting a dime into the motel, and I wouldn't be surprised if they purposefully want to run it to the ground.

No Internet either, kids. 'Got data? I am dreading my next Verizon bill.

Room Tip: 3 buildings: One is a 4-story true oceanfront; one is a one-story "ocean-side" ; the third building is across the street, & has bug problem.
  • Stayed: June 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracy T
owensnagshead, Manager at Owens' Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are truly sorry that your experience with us wasn't positive, and we wanted to reach out to address some of your concerns personally.

Owens' Motel had been a family run business for 70 years with over 60 rooms, and we work very hard to keep the motel up to date while still retaining that quaint feeling of staying in old Nags Head that so many of our customers love. This year alone we replaced the roof and many of the mattresses and are in the process of installing new carpet. WE also have a great new housekeeping staff with designated room checkers. In addition to all this, we have a long standing maintenance program with Heath Pest Control, and they regularly spray the motel.

When we heard about your concerns, we took immediate steps to make sure you were comfortable, upgrading you to an Oceanside room just yards from the beach at no extra charge. We checked on you again and you said you were very happy in your new room. We had the Courtyard section of the motel where you were originally staying re-sprayed. As a further preventative measure, we also had a few old shrubs removed from the front of the building, and we replaced them with a brand new rock garden.
We will continue to update the motel and thoroughly inspect all the rooms for any signs of damage and we sincerely want all of our customers to have a positive experience when they stay with us. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future, and please feel free to private message us directly if there is anything else we can do to help.
Lionel, Clara Mae, Jim and Peaches

Reviewed June 27, 2016

Stayed here for 3 nights in May. Everything was great. Older Mom and Pop property but very clean and the price was great!!! Directly across from the beach and close to the pier which was wonderful. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: There are two buildings one on the beach one across the street.
  • Stayed: May 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank TravelGrly

Thank you so much for staying with us at Owens Motel and taking the time to write a Tripadvisor review. We appreciate your kind words and we hope you have a great summer.

Reviewed June 27, 2016

Had to book a room at the last minute and this was all that was available on the beach side. I wasn't expecting much and didn't get much. With that said, the place is a strong value. My room was clean. Everything was in working order - including the microwave and mini-fridge. Bed was a tad small for being a double, but comfortable. Superb location with a very friendly and helpful staff. I probably wouldn't want to stay a week, but for a night or two, it gets the job done! I'd stay again.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled with family