“Enjoyed our stay very much!”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I spent the night at the Colonial Inn and found it to be a great place to stay. The staff was very nice and helpful, room was clean and large, and location was fantastic! We booked through a third party and there was some problem with overbooking so we were upgraded to what was called an "apartment"..had a full kitchen and living room area, then a bedroom and bathroom through a doorway, we felt like we had a suite! We loved that all we had to do was go a few steps to reach the walkway over the dune to get to the beach..we sat and watched for the sunrise there..unfortunately it was too cloudy. Almost right next door was the Nags Head fishing pier and for $1.50 we got an all day pass to walk on and off it..we told some friends at home and got to wave to them on the pier webcam..they were so jealous..lol. We watched surfers catching some nice waves, fishermen casting, even saw a young boy catch a small shark!
The next morning we enjoyed the continental breakfast very early, right after coming in from looking for sunrise, and got a nice warming coffee to bring back to the room. All in all we had a very nice time..there were restaurants nearby, plenty to see and do for a little getaway weekend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. We certainly hope you are able to return soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Just tried a night at the Colonial Inn because of their Facebook activity and to try another place to stay other than our usual place.

The pluses here are the room was very nice and clean, you can tell they have done some recent remodels, as far as paint and furnishings.Great location and ocean front.

Before i go into the negatives

# 1, The parking, very tight and limited, when lot ifs full( and it was, a lot of bib trucks, had a Ford Focus and getting in and out without backing in was tough, i have to say it is one of the older motels left and out of their control.
#2. We where unable to book a oceanfront room ,but glad , because becuse of the dunes you cannot view the ocean anyway, again out of there control.
#3 Bad placement of the frig.in an alcove in front on the air conditioner , and a very shottey job of the insulation around it.

All in all, a nice stay, but we will keep of usual place of stay in Nags Head. God luck and keep up the improvements you have made !!

Jim & Pat

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

James I certainly appreciate your feedback. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and feedback always help us improve so honestly thank you for that. While I certainly agree the parking lot and dune is a out of our control the items you have mentioned in the room are not acceptable. I will look into these right away. Again thank you for such nice comments and constructive criticism. We hope you would possibly consider us in the future.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

On our way to Cape Hatteras, we spent one night in Nags Head. We chose the Colonial Inn mostly because of it's location near some of our favorite watering holes and the Nags Head Pier. After a terrific night on the town, we had an unfortunate accident in the room. At around 3am, we noticed that the toilet, which we flushed a few hours prior, had been overflowing since we went to sleep. Obviously, this is a horrible situation. Someone from the hotel soon knocked on our door to see what was going on. Apparently, the water had been leaking into the room below us. Half asleep, half drunk, and totally embarrassed, we were promptly moved to the room next door by the courteous hotel staff.
Needless to say, we felt horrible, and the next morning we embarrassingly drove away to start our vacation.
Today, I checked my credit card statement to find that the hotel credited us for our one night stay. It was totally unexpected and really changed my remembrance of that night.
Now, about the hotel itself. It's right on the beach overlooking the Nags Head fishing pier. The rooms aren't luxurious, but are clean and comfortable. The water pressure is a bit low, but that isn't all that unusual for an older motel. The staff is tremendous and with the exception of our little mishap, the hotel was everything we expected.
We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Lucky 12 Tavern is a few hundred yards away and is a good local hangout.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

I sincerely apology for the situation but I am glad the staff was able to take care of the situation and quickly. Things happen and I certainly hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip in Cape Hatteras. We do hope you are able to return soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Colonial Inn three times with my husband and four children. We love the poolside "apartments" -- plenty of room for all of us, with the convenience of a kitchen, steps from the pool, and very convenient beach access. The Inn is also right beside the Nags Head Pier -- a great place for fishing, or just a family stroll. The place is not "fancy" -- it is an old-fashioned beach motel, with fairly old bathroom fixtures. Also, the continental breakfast is fairly limited -- bagels, pastries and beverages, but no cereal. But the facility is well maintained, the service is very good, and the location is fabulous. Overall, makes for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Mary I sincerely appreciate your feedback. We will continue to improve this property as the new ownership is committed to upgrading the wonderful beachfront Inn. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had a reservation for one night on 9/11/13. I did not arrive until after midnight. The staff was so pleasant when I arrived that I forgot about the long drive. I had reserved a pool view room and was surprisingly moved to a room closer to the beach access. A pleasant surprise. The room and the grounds reminded me of the old, quaint hotels I remember as a kid. In the morning, I was greeted to excellent surf at Nags Head Pier. After a few hours surf and a shower, I was revitalized and ready to begin the rest of my vacation. THANK YOU!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Matt I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I will be making this my go to place when we come to the beach.

The location is wonderful.

The rooms are adequately sized and have adorable wood panels. The tv's are flat screened and the wi-fi signal is quite strong.

I loved the old fashioned tiled bathroom.

The staff is very friendly and outgoing. Answered all my questions and were the most helpful staff i have ever encountered. And who can beat coffee on 24 hours a day as well as a staffed front desk 24/7.

The pool is very clean and was just the right size. They even have gas grills that are out there for you as well.

Definitely will be coming back.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank ladybug1962
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we all hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were originally going to stay 2 nights but after evaluation we decided to extend our visit 1 more night. The Inns staff was so understanding and nice it was unbelievable. We would like to thank the Maids that took care of our room during our stay they were extremely nice and very professional. We had an oceanfront room with easy access to the beach and the Nags Head Pier. The view was excellent. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert E

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am certainly blessed with a great team. I will be sure to share your wonderful feedback. We hope to see you again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
#12 of 13 in Nags Head
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!