“Good time”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just returned from a fun weekend at Nags Head. Stayed at the Colonial Inn with my wife and in-laws. We shared a small suite, but it was perfect for the event. The hotel is a little outdated, but don't take that as a negative. It actually was very quaint and a throw back to some nice memories from earlier days. The room was exceptionally clean. The hotel staff treated us like family. Every time I went to the lobby to get coffee, which was wonderful (generally i expect motel coffee to suck) and plentiful, I was greeted with a smile and "can I get you anything". Every time we saw a housekeeping staff person, they greeted us with a smile. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Eddie I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate the kind words and will certainly be sure to share with the staff. We hope you return soon.

There are newer reviews for Colonial Inn

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Staff was excellent - very helpful! Great hotel/motel location!! Clean rooms - spacious- loved kitchen (dishes/pots & pans) very needed! Bathroom good size- douyble beds - perfect! Couch & love seat
Great over all place!

Room Tip: Side near office is sunnier! Back of motel rooms are on the beach side!!!! Short walk from every roo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

I sincerely appreciate the kind words and will certainly share with the staff. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Let me start with saying that this isn't the nicest or fanciest hotel I've ever stayed at. I don't recommend it for people with children or people who want many amenities. However if you are not one of those people - read on to hear the wonders of the Colonial Inn. I stayed here in one of their "apartment" rooms with my boyfriend and another couple. We loved this option because it gave us two bedrooms. The Inn is right on the beach and very convenient. It was clean, the service was great, and there was plenty of parking. The Colonial Inn is a motel of sorts so we expected as much, but the room was small and the bathroom reminded us of our first college apartment. We only spent time in the room to sleep and get ready in so we had no problems with the size. There is a small kitchenette and we were happy to utilize the fridge. If your main agenda for your trip is beach access this is definitely the place for you. If you want to spend a lot of time in your room, or have travelers with additional needs, this simple place probably isn't your thing.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have nice porch chairs, but you cant see the beach over the dunes. Rooms in the f...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brittking

I appreciate your feedback and honest review. We are an older hotel however we are consistenly upgrading and working to improve our guest experience. The bathrooms are on our list to upgrade along with many more plans for this off season. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very nice staff, the room was clean, very close to beach. We did not spend much time in the room, so the size suited us fine. The young girl at the front desk was very helpful when I asked for assistance with the WiFi for my Ipad, (I'm not computer savvy). Great having the continental breakfast available each morning before heading for the beach. Would recommend to friends and family as a clean, reasonably priced place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BarbSadie

I truly appreciate the wonderful comments and will be sure to let the front desk know. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

First, our trip was initially going to be one night and it was cancelled last minute...sadly with the cancellation policy in mind I made a call to the inn and a pleasant Gayle was ready to help...we rescheduled our trip for 2 weeks out and added an extra night as it was our wedding anniversary...Gayle worked some magic moving us to Labor day weekend and beach view...the location and access to the beach was outstanding. One negative is the parking lot...we had a minor fender bender when backing out and another guest checking in...but even that was handled with helpful info from Gayle...ready to lend a hand...even the local police were there quickly...and on a very busy weekend. We had an early morning dive the morning we were to check out...I made an inquiry about a late check out time so we could clean up before heading back to Raleigh...I was informed honestly regarding the renting of the room for that Sunday. I appreciated the frankness of the staff and their willingness to meet our needs. We were able to check out late on Sunday and even though our dive was not the best the staff, all the front office, the house keepers...everywhere were smiles. Your people are a huge asset and I am very happy with our stay. Thank you all!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your vacation. I can't say often enough how blessed I am with an incredible staff that sincerely care about each and every guest. We do hope you are able to return sooner than later.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Keri D
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed a night in the Colonial Inn. You can not beat the location...beachfront and right next to the fishing pier with a restaurant and bar. The hotel itself is "old school" and reminds me of the motels I stayed in when I was a girl. My room was clean and met my needs. The refrigerator and microwave was a nice addition and free wifi is a plus. Breakfast in the lobby was more than I expected. However, what is really special about this hotel is the customer service. Check-in sets the tone of a stay and Gayle makes you feel welcomed when you walk in the door. Thus, when I had car trouble later in the week (after I had checked out of the hotel) I felt I could turn to her for help. I was able to hang out at the pool while my car was being repaired and they actually drove me to pick up my car!!! If a business is judged by its employees then Colonial Inn gets 5 stars!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank travelbunny03

I sincerely appreciate the kind words. I am sorry to hear that you had car trouble while on vacation but glad to hear the staff was there to assist. I do hope you are able to return soon. I cannot say enough about the wonderful group of people working here at the Colonial Inn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!