“On a scale of 1-10...a 3”
Review of Sea Foam Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nags Head
Sea Foam Motel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Johnstown, Ohio
“On a scale of 1-10...a 3”
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Where to start...The place was packed with no vacancies, so I maybe I expected too much. I'll just say they get top dollar for what they offer. We only used our room as a stop over for one night on our way to Avon, so the fact that is was dark and gloomy didn't matter much.The beach location was good and the beach was beautiful. I will say that the room was basically clean. If the owners would do only some minor repairs and some cosmetic improvements, I would consider the value more in line with the cost. Also, mostly I didn't care for the Nags Head area and much preferred the laid back pace of the lower outer banks of Hatteras.
It was MUCH less crowded and more picturesque.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — bedding and overall gloom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jtownjoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Roanoke Virginia
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Sea Foam Motel in the Outer Banks Stayed May 2008, found the reviews helpful, so I decided to give it a try. My family of five arrived to a "cottage" the Elizabeth, which was suppose to be oceanfront, but was very much not. With two small kids I found the hard access to the beach a big problem, there were no steps going down the dunes therefore you had to slid down them, and try your best to get back up them. We arrived our cottage was clean, although you could tell had been shut up for a major part of the winter, it was musky and gave my sons allergies a fit. We received No housekeeping service the whole week we were there, we had to go hunt down the maid for toilet paper, wash clothes, and towels. I mean overall it was not a bad experiences, some small improvements would make this motel great. One positive thing I can say is the pool was great, nice and clean and heated they also have a kiddie pool, which was great. If you actually manage to get a room located on the beach, and some maid services your trip will be great. Good prices, so the small stuff is easily overlooked.

• Liked — The pool and the rates
  • Disliked — not easy beach access, no housekeeping
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
CT
Reviewed October 29, 2007

The place reminds me of motels my family stayed at as a child. It is comfy, it is on the beach, and you can hear the waves as you drift off to sleep. It is clean. We went off season and it was still filled. They have coffee ready in the morning in a breezeway if you would like. If you want a fancy chain this is not the place. It is located in Nags Head which is in the middle of everything. I read the comment about the rust. I heard from our motel neighbor that is from the water in the motel during a North East’er. I didn’t even notice it much till they said something. They have been going there for years. I would stay there again if I was going to the Outer Banks. I almost want to take my review off because too many more people may discover it. :-)

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank TreeCT
St. Croix
Reviewed October 26, 2007

Loved Nags Head. Hotel is simple but nice. Situated literally on the beach. Would have liked a little more privacy but loved it and would definitely return.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank crabgroupie
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed September 20, 2007

This place was perfect for a weekend at the beach. I had a upstairs pool side room, and to my surprise there was a balcony with chairs and a good side view of the ocean. The room was clean, the bathroom clean, and everyone was friendly. The beds were not the most comfortable, but the hotel had a wonderful charm you don't find staying in chain motels. I was disappointed the beach wasn't better in this area. I am used to the beach around Hatteras, and this part seemed very narrow. However, it was right on the beach and there was plenty of room to lay out on the sand. There are stores and restaurants close by, but this area still isn't too crowded. I would stay here again!

• Liked — Right on the beach
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was great!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank choover1
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 6, 2007

Great retro experience. Nothing fancy, but neat and clean and very 1950s. The oceanfront room is not to be missed if you can get one. Literally park at the front door, walk into the room, walk out the back door onto the beach. The service was friendly and efficient. We extended our stay one night and had to move to one of the efficiencies toward the street and that experience was much less enjoyable - the room was not as clean and the abundance of wood panelling and aging infrastructure was a lot more in evidence here. Recommended IF you can get one of the wonderful oceanfront rooms.

• Liked — it's right on the ocean, no bridge or boardwalk to cross
  • Disliked — inconsistent cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank danakate
Centreville
Reviewed August 19, 2007

It's not a five-star hotel, but it doesn't need to be. The Sea Foam is in an excellent location on the beach in Nags Head, and it has all the bare necessities for a really reasonable price. The two minor nits I'd make are the lack of parking and the thin walls if you have noisy neighbors. Otherwise, the pool, shuffleboard, and outdoor seating spaces are excellent.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
#12 of 13 in Nags Head
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Sea Foam Motel? Share your experiences!