“Great Food!”

The Dunes Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This local, Outer Banks restaurant is now in it's 35th anniversary season. That's probably why it's called a 'Nags Head Tradition' by locals. Currently open for breakfast daily. Weekends - spring and fall - and daily in the summer season, there's a robust fruit and breakfast bar plus some whopping good breakfast platters. When dinner opens shortly, Specialties are real southern cooking - like fried chicken. Also a specialty - local, Outer Banks seafood - broiled, fried, and always good. Steaks and prime rib round out the dinner menu. The "R" Bar is great for a late night meal or a special drink. And if all this isn't enough, there's Roxie's Retail - great, flirty finds for your home or wardrobe. It's a family run organization that is glad to welcome locals and vacationers alike.
Pawleys Island, SC
“Great Food!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We ate here our First Night in Nags Head. It was a great choice. I had the crab cakes which were awesome. Great Place. Check it out.

Freeman, Virginia
“GREAT BREAKFAST!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have only stopped here for breakfast but are hooked! I get the same thing everytime....shrimp and grits. The breakfast bar looks great and I want to get it but can't stay away from the shrimp and grits. Try their homemade biscuits...they are sooo goood! Great service! We go every time we are in town!

Visited May 2013
Billerica, Massachusetts
“Popular spot”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

On the Friday evening that we went, there was a church group holding a "eat and preach" meeting. We could hear the preacher which was distracting. I suggest that Friday night is not the best night to hold such a meeting. I hope that during the busy time, the group does not meet there. The steaks were too fatty, the crab cakes yummy, the breads and hush puppies delicious.

Visited May 2013
Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
“breakfast at the dunes”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

the breakfast at the dunes are excellent....my favorite is the whaler.....service is quick and friendly...food quality is very good and portions are filling....I had the pleasure of meeting the owner and can see where the standards for the restaurant come from....give them a try

Glen Allen, Virginia
“Crowded and Noisy”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My review is probably colored by the fact we were shown to a table which felt as if it were in the middle of Grand Central Station. I know it is a popular restaurant, particularly for Sunday breakfast, but this table right at the intersection of the kitchen doors and the buffet line should be left empty when they are crowded. We had already waited 15 mins and were starving so we accepted our fate. That being said, the waitress could not have been more attentive. Not being buffet lovers (it is only $10.99 if you are) we ordered off the menu. My three egg omelette with tomatoes and mushrooms was average. The biscuits were hot but crumbly. I've had better elsewhere. My husband's full breakfast of sausage, eggs, hash browns and hot cakes was again average. The staff were efficiently clearing tables, filling the buffet and showing guests to their tables - obviously geared up for the crowds - I just wish they didn't have to push past the back of my chair while carrying large trays of food and talking in loud voices. Ask for a window table even if you have a longer wait.

• Visited May 2013
Sparrows6094, Public Relations Manager at The Dunes Restaurant, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Well I read your review and thought . . . well, the good news is that we were busy. Being a seasonal restaurant, we only have a few months to BE busy. That said, we don't want anyone visiting the Dunes to have a bad experience - in any way. So if you decide to visit the Outer Banks again this summer and would like to have breakfast on us, please let me know. I can't promise that you won't have to wait to get seated, but I can make sure that we prepare a great breakfast for you and your Husband. Thank you. Kathy Sparrow - Marketing.