“Specials are reasonable, but not worth going”

The Dunes Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This local, Outer Banks restaurant is now in it's 35th anniversary season. That's probably why it's called a 'Nags Head Tradition' by locals. Currently open for breakfast daily. Weekends - spring and fall - and daily in the summer season, there's a robust fruit and breakfast bar plus some whopping good breakfast platters. When dinner opens shortly, Specialties are real southern cooking - like fried chicken. Also a specialty - local, Outer Banks seafood - broiled, fried, and always good. Steaks and prime rib round out the dinner menu. The "R" Bar is great for a late night meal or a special drink. And if all this isn't enough, there's Roxie's Retail - great, flirty finds for your home or wardrobe. It's a family run organization that is glad to welcome locals and vacationers alike.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I ate dinner here on our first day in OBX. She ordered the Three Sisters Chicken special and I had the Soup & Salad special. She was not impressed with her meal. My was fine, but the soup was a disappointment to me. We would not eat here again.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

this place knows how to serve good food but it doesnt matter if they are so pathetic as serve
an omelet that is served on a plate that wasnt rinsed by the idiot washing the dishes and every bite tastes like bleach water.Dont eat here until they figure this out. It sucked.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I usually stay in Nag's Head yearly. With so many places to eat breakfast jumping up, it had been years since I ate at the Dunes. Last weekend we stopped there and wondered why it had been so long. We were met at the door with quick seating and a kind smile. I swear my waitress
has waited on us many times over the years and was very sweet. Our breakfast came quick and was awesome. Best pancakes I have had in years. Looking around the place is really nice and clean as a pin. Now I will have to skip some breakfasts at Grits Grill to go back to the Dunes.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Skip this place if you want a nice seafood dinner. The menu looks great but the sea food is one step above Long John Silvers. Everything is deep fried and more batter than fish. Also they are expensive for a not so good restrauant. Husband had the seafood, I ordered a cheeseburger. It was dry and tasteless.

On the postive the location is good (right across from the outlets), the restrauant is clean and the service is fast and friendly.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Went for breakfast and was not overwhelmed with anything. Place is clean which is always a real plus. It really came down to mediocre to poor food. Frankly, this place deserves 2.5 stars but I rounded up.

One person at our table had the blueberry pancakes, which she did not like and did not finish. She commented on it to the server and the response was that the server ALSO thought they tasted weird. What? That info would have been very helpful while we were ordering. I think an offer of a plain pancake or two would have been nice, but was not necessary.

I had the corned beef hash, which was cooked up really well, but I got so little it is not worth mentioning. The eggs and plain pancakes were very good, but the hash browns - a real misnomer, they are called "browns" for a reason, were simply warmed up potatoes, no "brown" in site. I would have been happy to wait a few more minutes in order for my potatoes to cook, but whatever, as long as the chef got an extra minute for a smoke break.

So in short, not worth the stop for the most part, and it is unlikely we will be returning anytime soon. There are better breakfast places in OBX.