“Can't miss this place!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Every time we go to Nags Head this is one of the places that is a must visit. It doesn't look like much from the outside and its not very big but it is almost always packed, the food is great, a they have great selection of beers. On the down side, because it very popular it can be a long wait for a table, its also very noisy because of it size. But those are things they can't really control. For the things they can control they do a great job. Food is very good and they always have specials. Service is almost always good and they are very adaptable to larger groups, you just might have to wait a awhile.

There are newer reviews for Tortugas' Lie Shellfish Bar

Reviewed October 13, 2010

This has always been my favorite restaurant for the last 7-8 years, so of course we had to go back this Duck vacation, Sept. 19-26, 2010. We got in around 7 pm and had about a 15 min wait. Once we were seated, we ordered our drinks, everyone just had soda and waters. We had a good wait for our drinks to be delivered. We ordered some conch fritters and they were not tasty at all. Then we ordered our steamers that consisted of spiced shrimp, clams, and crab legs. The crab legs were lukewarm. The clams were very very gritty. Tasted like they just pulled them from the water and shucked them without any soaking. I tried two and there were just uneatable. We told the waitress and she did absolutely nothing about it...didn't even offer to bring us additional shrimp or something in place of the horrible clams. The waitress never came back to our table to refill our drinks. The best food I had that night was my son's kid's meal that consisted of of chicken strips and french fries. And we did watch some volleyball players behind the restaurant on some sand courts but I don't even think they were affiliated with the restaurant...I think the courts belonged to the hotel behind it. This was a very disappointing experience and I'm reluctant to go back next year on our usual OBX trip.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I had lunch here twice and both times I was very impressed. Our most recent visit was with my sister and her husband. Everyone raved about the freshness of the food and the bright flavors. I had the CoCo Loco Chicken...delicious! The restaurant is small and beachy. Relaxed and fun atmosphere. It's our go-to place now when we go Nags Head.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

We try to go to Tortuga's several times each visit to OBX. It's small and the wait can be maddening at times, but it's well worth it. Just a great atmosphere and great food. If you've never been, you must make the time to get there.

Reviewed September 16, 2010

Our friend wanted to try this place. I must admit that I wasn't very confident when we drove up....there was nothing awful, but nothing great either....just plain looking. The food was delicious. The menu is smaller than I expected, though. Wednesday night is sushi night...so they don't do any raw/steamed shellfish on those nights. I heard a few locals say that sushi night is also pretty crowded, so expect a little wait if that's when you go. It gets a little loud inside.