“Hole in the wall with yummy food.”

Tortugas' Lie Shellfish Bar
Ranked #6 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I had lunch here twice and both times I was very impressed. Our most recent visit was with my sister and her husband. Everyone raved about the freshness of the food and the bright flavors. I had the CoCo Loco Chicken...delicious! The restaurant is small and beachy. Relaxed and fun atmosphere. It's our go-to place now when we go Nags Head.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,156)

Reviewed October 7, 2010

We try to go to Tortuga's several times each visit to OBX. It's small and the wait can be maddening at times, but it's well worth it. Just a great atmosphere and great food. If you've never been, you must make the time to get there.

Reviewed September 16, 2010

Our friend wanted to try this place. I must admit that I wasn't very confident when we drove up....there was nothing awful, but nothing great either....just plain looking. The food was delicious. The menu is smaller than I expected, though. Wednesday night is sushi night...so they don't do any raw/steamed shellfish on those nights. I heard a few locals say that sushi night is also pretty crowded, so expect a little wait if that's when you go. It gets a little loud inside.

Reviewed September 14, 2010

Back in the day, with saltwater crusting our hair and smelling of Sticky Bumps wax, we'd stroll into this joint and order several pints o' guiness, eat some great food, and enjoy the vibe with no problems. Now-a-days we still roll in, same flava, but we have a wait to sit at the bar for drinks and eats. No worries...cuz its worth it. Tables take a lot longer to be seated. It seems this spot has become VERY popular w/ the mom + dad + 2 or so kids crowd (cuz the food is so good or cuz TA is so popular). I prefer to sit at the bar and leave the tables to mom +, but must mom + dad be so smug as to let the kids hold down the seats at the bar while waiting for their table? Preaching...The bartenders don't make their wages from your kids drinking water and keeping the drinking/eating customers at bay (but somehow they keep a great attitude about it just the same). Inconsideration aside, Tortugas serves up some great food. Any steamed seafood is a must do. Fries w/ salt and pepper are the bees knees. Fish tacos...are U kidding me? Yum Yum. Hummus app. or roll-up leaves me speechless (BTW red, if your reading, bring back the hummus sandwich). All said, the throngs of families and the fight for a seat won't keep us away from this spot... It's just that good. We now eat way before or way after Lil' john and Lil' Jenny get all hot, tired and hungry from the beach. Correction to title. Good for them, adjustment for us.

Reviewed September 14, 2010

You know it is a good place when the parking lot is full and they haven't even opened yet! Stopped in on our way home from the beach and had a great lunch. The burgers were great, the chicken was great and it had a fun beachy ambiance!