“How is this not the number 1 place in OBX?”

Tortugas' Lie Shellfish Bar
Ranked #6 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Our first trip to the OBX in 11 years, and this is the first place we chose to eat. Neither my wife nor I had ever been there, but it was highly recommended by two close friends that have lived in the OBX for several years.... This is where the locals go.

We had Oysters Rockefeller for an app and they were heavenly. I had a fried oyster entree special that was probably the best fried oysters i have ever had. My wife's fresh caught Yellowfin Tuna was to die for.

We got to observe a table full of intoxicated soccer moms get a little mouthy with the waitress, and I was very impressed by the way the server put them in their place with out being overly hostile.

This place is worth the 8 hour drive to the OBX from WV alone.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,156)

Reviewed March 30, 2014

this is the first stop we make when arriving at the Outer Banks , we always eat at the Bar because it is a friendly place where everyone talks to each other, I call it the OBX CHEERS. the food is always fresh , their Oyster Burgers are great , the thing I like the most is their Broth style Clam Chower. so next time you go to OBX make it a point to stop at this Local secret

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Eating at the bar at Tortuga's is a Nag's Head vacation tradition for us! The specials are always fun and delicious and maximize fresh local catch. The regular menu has some classics we get every time-- we LOVE the wings! They are sticky and sweet and crunchy and we enjoy them with some extra hot sauce! If they are in season-- try the slough oysters-- unique and yummy. We showed up at about 9:15 PM and it was perfect-- enough people for the bar to be fun (and it always is! everyone is so friendly there!) and late enough that you aren't being crushed by the crowd waiting for tables. We had dessert for the first time-- coconut pie-- and it was absolutely perfect.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Wow! The atmosphere in Tortuga's Lie is fantastic! Its a true beachy restaurant. And the jerk chicken, heavenly!! This is a go to place for us when we hit OBX each year!

1  Thank 325Ashley
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I went here for lunch during the off season (a perk, they are open all year) and had a very delicious lunch. We both got Bajan burgers, which are amazing. I have also had the fish special (the special itself varies, depending on the fresh catch that day/week), which is very good. The service was good and the atmosphere is very beachy and local feeling (which we prefer when down at the beach). This is one of our go to spots in OBX. It's fairly small so get there early if you can as both the dinner and lunch rush can be crazy busy during peak season. They have a good beer selection and you can buy Tshirts in house as well. Definitely a go to if you want a delicious no frills meal!

1  Thank Pinkrose529