“The best place to eat in Nags Head, hands down!”

Tortugas' Lie Shellfish Bar
Ranked #6 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The burgers are perfect, no matter what type you order, the fish tacos are excellent as well, and the specials are always fresh! I recommend the Bajan burger...it is my absolute favorite! These guys know what they're doing!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,156)

Reviewed October 20, 2011

I am not a coconut fan. In fact I detest it. However, tortugas coconut chicken is amazing! I ordered the tuna tacos. They were great as well but I had to keep sneaking bites of the chicken. A must try! Staff is not overly friendly to tourists but seem quite friendly to locals. I think it's an east coast thing.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

We went in and ordered our food to go figuring it was better than waiting in line to get a seat in that little restaurant. To make a long story short- the waitress totally forgot about us and it ended up taking over 45 minutes to get our jerk chicken and get back to our beach house! The food was cold by the time we got it and the portions small. I am not a big eater, but really could have used an appetizer or dessert to go along with my meal. Bring your patience and tiny appetite if you plan on dining here.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

We always eat here first, last, and at least once more during the week. The food is great, the service is friendly and fast, and the value is awesome. My husband loves the fish sandwiches and I love that there are several veg choices. Our little one loves looking at the fish tanks!

Reviewed October 12, 2011

It's a very small, very noisy place, at least when the bar is full. Loud enough you need to shout at the other folks in your party, which means it's too loud in my opinion. Also the small size of the place, plus the bar taking up well over 50% of the inside make you feel sort of crammed in.

We went on Wednesday, Sushi night based on recommendations to try the Sushi. The Sushi menu is both Americanized and Beachized. That said, I had some interesting combination I'd never tried before, the Fried Hawaiian was particularly interesting and good.

If you're looking for a bar to hang out at with good food, you have a winner. If you're looking for a restaurant that also has a bar, you'll probably want to pass on this one.

1  Thank Leo B