“Good experience and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tale of The Whale

Tale of The Whale
Ranked #4 of 81 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Family owned and operated for 33 years, we serve the finest and freshest local seafood, choice steaks, salads, pastas, chicken and more. We pay attention to every detail to ensure your meal is memorable and delicious! Enjoy casual dining overlooking the Roanoke Sound, and live music (in season) in our waterfront gazebo. Come early and enjoy your favorite cocktail outdoors overlooking the water, or in our indoor bar. We offer an extensive wine list, a lighter fare menu, childrens’ menu and more. We welcome children, families and parties of all sizes, and offer comfortable booths for a romantic dinner for two. We look forward to serving you!
Olney, Maryland
“Good experience and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

We ate here at the end of July this summer. I had driven past this place on my many vacations and fishing trips to the OBX but never ate here. This year, on a suggestion of a friend, we went for dinner and had a good time and some good food. I had the shrimp and grits. The shrimp were fresh, plump, succulent and cooked just right. The sauce or really the “gravy” was very rich but very good. The grit cakes were moist and tasty. I’m a big guy and the portion I received I could not finish and I was disappointed I could not take it back to the house because we were leaving for home the next day. Also, the side items I received I only had a spoonful of but they were good. Everyone in our party was happy with the food they received and had only one suggestion and that was to serve the whole lobster on the special that night cracked so it was not as much work to get at the good stuff. The bread was good as well!

We went early (5pm or so) and only had to wait about 15 minutes for a table so get there early. When we left the people were stacked up waiting. Also the waiter said the best time to come during vacation season is Saturday because not as many people eat out on turnover days.

Water front location was nice and we were able to get a window table. I'll be back.

1 Thank SquidStrip

Indianapolis, Indiana
“I won't go back! :(”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

My daughter and son-in-law took my wife and me there for a special dinner. The experience was awful. The server treated us like we weren't good enough for him to wait on. Other patrons were loud and overbearing. So loud it was difficult for us to talk. Food was average, a little better than Applebee's, but at three times the cost. The booths are very small.

Youngstown Ohio
“Great Place know how to handle large groups.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

Great location on the bay. Food is excellent and wait staff is efficent with large groups. This place should be rated alot higher than it is... Like # 1.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Great local seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

One of the can't miss places in the OBX. Located on the causeway, seafood is good and consistent.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

We ate there on a Saturday night and got promptly seated. Our waitress was attentive and knew the food she was serving. We had the crab and artichoke appetizer (excellent) and coconut shrimp. The hushpuppies were to die for as well. Both were outstanding!

We never lacked for drinks or service.............I can't wait to go back and try it out the next I'm on the Outer Banks! I'd definately go back and take friends.