“Excellent Family Experience”
Review of Tale of The Whale

Tale of The Whale
Ranked #2 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated for 33 years, we serve the finest and freshest local seafood, choice steaks, salads, pastas, chicken and more. We pay attention to every detail to ensure your meal is memorable and delicious! Enjoy casual dining overlooking the Roanoke Sound, and live music (in season) in our waterfront gazebo. Come early and enjoy your favorite cocktail outdoors overlooking the water, or in our indoor bar. We offer an extensive wine list, a lighter fare menu, childrens’ menu and more. We welcome children, families and parties of all sizes, and offer comfortable booths for a romantic dinner for two. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Last week, our family of six dined here for the first time during our OBX vacation. The experience was perfect, in every way. We were seated within five minutes (getting crowded). Our server was attractive, pleasant and very professional. She took our orders and served is quickly. My husband and I shared the lobster claw appetizer, which was unique and delicious. All of our fish choices were fresh, full of flavor and the portions were extremely generous. Three of us brought food home because we could not finish the large portions. The magnificent view of the water made an already pleasant dining experience even more special! This will become a tradition for our annual family vacation. Thank you all for a wonderful family dining experience!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Best She Crab Soup in area. Loved the Shrimp and Grits. Never was a fan of Grits but my dinner had Grit Cakes which were crispy on the outside and creamy inside. Portion was very large. We ate early between 4pm-5pm and received 20% off. Reminded our group of a Seinfield episode

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We had a party of 21 and everyone loved it! Not one complaint and with that many in a party in amazing. Crab cakes were awesome. Rock fish Oscar was the best thing my wife has ever eaten. They do not take reservations but when I called ahead about our large party they worked well with me and we did not even have to wait! Live music on there gazebo on the sound is nice while you wait. Jewelry shop inside is really nice and really affordable. Would be a great place to get high quality gifts for next to nothing. Staff was amazing. I only have praises for this place!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This restaurant has a lovely location and we watched dolphins in the sound from our table. They were setting up music on their gazebo which overlooks the water and I'm sure that is a really nice experience, too. However, I went for the food and found it average at best. I was excited when I saw the extensive menu and had a hard time deciding. At our table we had fried oysters which were sub par and tasted mostly like fried breading, flounder and wahoo which everyone liked, scallops which were large but not that tasty, the she-crab soup and also the lobster bisque which were just ok and most of it remained in the bowls after a few bites. The fried clam strips were good and as were the side salads, bread, and hushpuppies. All of the servings were huge, they could easily serve half on the plates and it would be a more average sized portion. None of us could finish our meal. All that being said there are much better restaurants in the area and I would not return to this one.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family comes here every time we visit OBX, even if we are not staying in Nags Head, it is worth the drive from Corolla. We had a big family reunion here this year and the restaurant was really nice to take our huge party when we called the day of! The staff is always friendly, and the snow crab legs w/hush puppies never disappoint. We even came back again for our last dinner in OBX. Lobster & peanut butter pie is the best last meal you can ask for on vacation!