“Great Service, Food and Price”
Review of Tale of The Whale

Tale of The Whale
Ranked #3 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated for 33 years, we serve the finest and freshest local seafood, choice steaks, salads, pastas, chicken and more. We pay attention to every detail to ensure your meal is memorable and delicious! Enjoy casual dining overlooking the Roanoke Sound, and live music (in season) in our waterfront gazebo. Come early and enjoy your favorite cocktail outdoors overlooking the water, or in our indoor bar. We offer an extensive wine list, a lighter fare menu, childrens’ menu and more. We welcome children, families and parties of all sizes, and offer comfortable booths for a romantic dinner for two. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We checked this place out during a recent vacation to the Outer Banks. The restaurant is very nice, set in a great location and had very good food. Our service was very good and I would definitely recommend this place. Dress is vacation casual.

There are newer reviews for Tale of The Whale

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Went here because of reviews we've seen and a personal recommendation. Great view. We got there early, and the restaurant seated many people while we were there. Great staff, lots of good food. The tuna was good, but not the best. Coconut shrimp was good but not the best either. Salads, bread, and desert were excellent. They also have smaller portions available. It was a little pricy, but good for a special occasion.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Wow, just WOW. My fiance and I had a late dinner here and it was absolutely awesome. We were seated immediately and our drink order taken right away. I had a cup of the she-crab soup and it was very tasty...probably the best I've ever had. Laden with big pieces of crab meat...and ultra-rich....5 stars. For dinner my fiance' had the grilled fish (mahi) and it was cooked to, and seasoned with perfection. I had the steak, served Oscar. Steak was grilled perfectly, and served with steamed aspargus and a generous amount of crab meat on top. Our server was spot-on with refills and taking away empty plates and used silverware. The lights in the restaurant are low allowing you a great view of the water while you enjoy your meal. I would whole heartedly recommend this place to friends and family. Bon Apetit.....

1  Thank MisterEpps
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just left Tale of the Whale - met some friends from out of town who swear by it. Unfortunately, I'd gladly never return.

The service was exceptionally slow, even though the dining area was only about 60% full. Drinks came a little late but were tasty!

The prices are quite frankly over the top and far more expensive than you would pay in a much more intimate, higher quality eatery. I ordered the shrimp and grits, per a recommendation, and it honestly sucked. Everyone's food came out warm to cold, the grits were stale, shrimp obviously not local quality (tasted frozen), and the sauce was like a nasty beef gravy.

The waitress accidentally delivered someone's soup to me an said she would take it off the bill- didn't happen.

You are MUCH MUCH better off going to Kelly's or Sugar Creek than Tale of the Whale. Too expensive, ok service, and honestly.. Really lousy seafood.

2  Thank BeachBumBobOBX
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Five of us ate here. Arrived at aprox. 5PM for the Early Bird 20% off. Had about a 20 minute wait. The meal was very good and the waiter was excellent!