“Don't bother.”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Jackson, New Hampshire
“Don't bother.”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Had to send out for clams and explained that was why it took so long. Also let us know that they wouldn't eat any shell fish from their area - just didn't feel like we should have stayed. We had shrimp and clams - were ok but not worth typing about. Do yourself a favor... go someplace else.

Visited June 2012

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“no time soon”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My family has been coming to the OBX for over 12 years. We live in the Pittsburgh area and can't wait for our annual trip to the OBX each year. We always use Joe Lamb Jr realtors and reserve the same house each year. We often get away for a long weekend with the kids , we have two boys, anyway we wanted some steam food and the Red Drum Tap house was recommended by some friends. We arrive on a Friday evening around seven, The wait was around 30 to 40 min. The hostess suggested we get some refreshments at the bar until our table was ready.
There were two bartenders one guy and one woman, the male was mid build with a blue hat somewhere in his late 40's I would guess. The woman was stocky and heavily tattooed which brings me to the reason we will not be returning to this restaurant. She was forward and quiet rude flipping the coasters as they were a Frisbee..her demeanor matched only by her appearance. We ordered our drinks, my wife a glass of red wine myself a Guinness and couple of sodas for the boys. When our order came the wine was running down the outside of the glass that seemed to be other than sanitary.
I ask if she would mind giving us another glass and she glared at me took the wine and stormed off. Our kids didn't get their drinks for another five minutes. I know the bar was busy but I noticed other people didn't seem to be experiencing this problem. When our table was ready I payed out my tab via the gentlemen bartender who was very cordial and polite. We may return for dinner but after our unpleasant bar experience we I assure we won't be getting any drinks. The food was good and our wait was also nice it's just the lady bartender that will keep me from recommending this restaurant to our friends.

• Visited May 2012
Steubenville Area
“Solid Fare in Nags Head”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I stumbled upon this excellent restaurant. We were spending the week in the OBX in the Kitty Hawk area. We got the kids some Chinese (see my review) and then my wife and I headed out for a moderate-sized dinner. We drove along the Beach Road until we came across the Red Drum. We asked some folks in the parking lot if the food was good and their response was so positive we went in.

The Red Drum is pretty much what the title indicates: a grille and taphouse. But it is one of the nicest such establishments we’ve visited. The building is mainly one large room with a divider separating the dining area from the bar (there is also a game room with pool and fooseball tables). The interior is very classy with oak trim and various OBX sea-faring decorations that are not ostentatious. You can drink and eat at the bar and there is plenty of room to do so. They have approximately 20 beers on tap. The dining area has booths and tables. The restaurant staff was very friendly and very accommodating.

The menu is moderately upscale offering a creative selection of appetizers, steaks, seafood, and sandwiches. We tried the house chowder and it was quite good and fairly unique, composed of a clear broth with various shell fish and fresh vegetables. I ordered the “Taphouse Tuna Sandwich” with grilled tuna, red peppers, pesto and Swiss cheese. It was very good. My wife ordered the “Black and Blue Burger” composed of a generous blackened burger with crumbled blue cheese. It likewise was very good but a tad salty. Both sandwiches were good-sized, composed of quality ingredients and presented tastefully. The grille was busy with a short wait to be seated, but the food came out promptly.

Granted we did not try their main meals (most of which run $18-25). But if the ribs, chicken, steak and seafood dishes are of the same high quality – and it appeared they were so from the tables nearby – then this is an unusually excellent restaurant with superb fare at a reasonable price for a vacation location. All in all, the Red Drum is an outstanding grille and taphouse. They clearly know what they are doing and they do a great job of it. You could easily bring children to this restaurant but I would save it for a night out for adults. We will definitely return another time.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Jim_in_Wintersville
Nags Head, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great stop”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

we stopped at red drum and it was so good we went back a couple days later for dinner. it was conveniently located near our hotel and was spacious and clean. it was by far the best tavern type place in the area with the best selection of beer. the seafood was fresh and the family friendly atmoshpere was great. give it a try

Visited June 2012
1 Thank frank j
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“glad we stopped”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

we stopped during the off season, the food was great and the service was excellent. Amazing number of beers on tap. Will return.

• Visited October 2011