“Not too bad”

Ranked #13 of 84 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Grits Grill is a decidedly southern place to have a great breakfast or lunch year round. It's open till 2 pm daily. Most of the cooking is done right behind the diner style front counter. Eggs any style, chipped beef, omelettes, hotcakes and of course grits (cooked just about any style) are breakfast specialties and served anytime. Lunch is full of specials, deli offerings and big, juicy burgers. Owned locally. Staff is well known for being warm and friendly. Come have breakfast with us anytime!
Lorton, Virginia
“Not too bad”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Had a couple of fairly decent omlets for breakfast. One was the Greek, which I kinda liked. I sat at the counter and noted that a pair of vise grips was holding the top of the grill together. I actually thought that was kinda cool. The wait staff was friendly and attentive. The meal and service were better than I expected. All in all, not a bad option for an inexpensive breakfast.

• Visited November 2013

Pikeville, North Carolina
“Decent food...fast...”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in on a Saturday around 11am for something quick and easy. My husband got the french toast with eggs and bacon and I got the chicken salad sandwich all of which was tasty. The place is small but we did not have to wait to be seated. The staff were friendly and the prices were reasonable. We were in and out in 30 mins.

Gaston, NC
“Great meal!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Really cute place..was packed but we still got in within 5-10 minutes. The choices were great..everything that went by looked so yummy. We got our coffee and made our choice and enjoyed the neat atmosphere and quickly our food was brought..all was delicious. I will say that I prefer my grits to be sweet so my choice of having cheese added was a mistake..but it was all on me. My husband's corn beef hash and hash browns were perfectly cooked, as were my eggs and bacon, but I kept picking off his plate..lol. When we come back to OBX next May with friends, we will definitely be making a stop at grits grill..as they say, no grits, no glory!

Virginia
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We went there but it was not our first choice. Closer places from us were jammed packed so we kept on driving.
We were seated in less than 5 minutes.
The breakfast was good and the staff was very nice and friendly with our 7 month grandson.
I had the "2 eggs plus" with hash brows and biscuit. Every thing was good, the biscuit were home made, and the hash brows seemed to have caramelized onions in it was were very good.
As much as the waiting staff is very friendly, the girl at the register was not even acknowledging my presence but just taking my receipt while still taking with other staff member.

Smithfield, VA
“Will Return Sooner or Later”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

A friend declared GG to have the best breakfast in the area. Perhaps so, but my first breakfast the other day was just so-so. I have no complaints. Perhaps I should have ordered something else instead, but so be it. There were a lot of people there who apparently would disagree with me. Anyway, I ordered biscuits and sausage gravy (with a custom order, ie a fried egg on top) and the hash browns. The egg arrived on a separate plate. The hash browns were overdone ... way overdone. And the gravy and biscuits were OK. Just OK. I call this average because I've had worse elsewhere, albeit not recently. The service was slightly above average and I give them credit for it.

The Wine Queen had bacon and eggs as I recall. She tried the plain grits expecting something special considering the name of the place. But plain is plain everywhere. They do have a couple of adders to customize their grits, in all fairness, for about a $1 adder. She proclaimed the bacon and eggs to be fine.

As we were leaving, I noted the arrival of the owners of an outstanding local restaurant who were being seated for breakfast. So I take that as a good sign for the future.

I found the breakfast menu to be somewhat limited. The prices were just a tad more than I'd expect to pay at some other nearby breakfast venue, give or take 10 miles. I did not pay attention to the lunch side of the menu, and they close at about 2:00, so no dinner menu.

Will I go back. Sure! I venture to guess that my next breakfast will only be better. I won't make a special trip from Kill Devil Hills, but if I'm in the area, I'll stop in sooner than later.