“New Favortie in the OBX”
Review of Owens' Restaurant

Owens' Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 84 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Since 1946, four generations of locals and visitors have experienced the famous food and hospitality of the Owens and Shannon families.We are celebrating 69 years in business, in the same location, making us the oldest restaurant in the state of North Carolina! Owens Restaurant serves classic Southern coastal cuisine. We specialize in fresh and local seafood from North Carolina waters, exceptional Prime Western beef, and flavorful pastas. Our customers marvel at our collection of museum quality artifacts dedicated to the maritime history of the Outer Banks. Come see us for delicious food, exceptional service and warm Southern hospitality!
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New Favortie in the OBX”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Great Filet Oscar, although priced at $37 it was worth it. By far the most expensive I've been to in OBX, but by far the best. Hush puppies and crabcakes were great. Mashed potatoes we're some of the best!!! FYI, get you mixed drinks from the bar as they will be terrible if you order from your table!! Cant wait to go again!

1 Thank DHicks34

Lynchburg, Virginia
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Owen’s is a true high end restaurant. My only true complaint is that they have too many tables in the main dining room, making it feel a little crowded; however, the service was extremely attentive.

We had the stuffed lobster, the sirloin steak, fried seafood platter, and the jambalaya. The stuffed lobster was a ½ of a 2 # lobster with the body cleaned and stuffed with a cheesy crab fondue mixture. My only comment was the lobster was cooked and then baked to form a crust over the stuffing. The baking dried out the meat in the claw.
The steak was perfectly cooked.

The steak came with homemade lobster stuffed ravioli and asparagus. It was a great combination.

Unfortunately, the fried fish platter and the jambalaya was not anything special. However, both dishes were cooked extremely well, but neither dish was unique to the restaurant.

For desert, we had the restaurant famous 14 layer cake. The cake was a little dry for my taste, but the other members thought it was delicious.

Potomac Falls, Virginia
“unexpectedly upscale & "homey" with great portions of seafood!!”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

It was our first time there, though we've been to the obx at least 4x. We did not expect a restaurant by a motel to be what it was. Quiet, upscale and intimate lighting, expensive wood paneling, and a tasteful nautical theme. There were 5 of us, all adults, so we sat at a table near the middle, and by a hall leading out, yet there was no fishbowl feeling. The smells in the place were intoxicatingly seafood, but not overpowering, they made us hungry. Our waitress was friendly and made me feel as if this was a mom and pop type business, which I like and also thought was unexpected. Great service, amazing hush puppies, and selection of wines! And then our dinner came, what a treat!! Nice looking presentation, fresh tasting, and very well prepared. Great portions of seafood, small amount of the sides depending on what you get. But I had trouble finishing my shrimp/crab/scallops thing, so the sides need to be small! Didn't have dessert, and thought they looked amazing, but we were all too full. Next time we will bring our young teens. Plan to spend $25-$30/person for the entree, all the fun stuff is closer to $30 - not including drinks and dessert.

Virginia
“Old faithful still has reliable food and service”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

This place has been around a long time, and could use some further updates, but the food is very reliable. THey could probably use some newer style, but the food and service is very good.

We had the mussles appetizer, excellent. Good wine choices.

Entrees were very good, but not 5 star. They bring you a cheese crock before dinner.

The server was very experienced, and knew what she was doing. We never waited for anything, and appreciated a perfect level of attention.

Overall, very good food, and terrific service. Decor was ok, nothing real fancy. Simply a reliable dinner. Nothing risky here.

Cary, North Carolina
“Not as good as it has been in previous years!”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I have been going to the Outer Banks for 15 years. I have visited Owen's several times over the years and have had pleasant memories of great food and lovely ambiance.

This time, it was not so good. We went early - just after 5pm so we wouldn't have to wait. I ordered a special, halibut. I do not feel that it was cooked properly. Also, it was not hot. Being starving, and not seeing the waiter, I ate half of it before coming to this realization. I mentioned it to him but he did not seem too concerned or offer to replace it. I hate making a fuss in restaurants but I feel when you are paying 25-30 for an entree, in North Carolina, you should expect to be perfectly satisfied. When the waiter brought us our check he said he was glad we enjoyed our meal and that was it. My husband's dinner was better, nicely sauced, well cooked and very hot.

I know kitchens will sometimes make mistakes in any restaurant, but I didnt expect it early in the evening (before the rush) and I didn't expect the waiter to completely ignore my complaint.

I realize i should be more proactive, but I know what it's like to be the on the receiving end of complains and noone wants to hear it over and over.

Next year my husband and I will take our money and head back to Basnight's or go to some other eatery. I don't often have eating-out regret but this one I still feel. I am just glad our kids weren't with us.