“Always a must for us when in the OBX”
Review of Owens' Restaurant

Owens' Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 92 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Since 1946, four generations of locals and visitors have experienced the famous food and hospitality of the Owens and Shannon families.We are celebrating 69 years in business, in the same location, making us the oldest restaurant in the state of North Carolina! Owens Restaurant serves classic Southern coastal cuisine. We specialize in fresh and local seafood from North Carolina waters, exceptional Prime Western beef, and flavorful pastas. Our customers marvel at our collection of museum quality artifacts dedicated to the maritime history of the Outer Banks. Come see us for delicious food, exceptional service and warm Southern hospitality!
Reviewed May 28, 2010

The food is outstanding and the service is the best of all of the restaurants we've been to in Nags Head--although I do give equally high marks for service to the Kill Devil Grill (also on the beach rd. in KDH). the connecting dining rooms are panelled and contain many oil painting of shore houses and boats and other memorabilia.

We have eaten only seafood (most of which is local) here on our last 3 trips to Nags Head. I have had the excellent crabcakes, which are all lump with no filler and can be fried or pan sauteed. We have also had fresh fish, lobster, and jambalaya. All were delicious and well prepared. Fresh veggies, a house salad with field greens (no iceberg lettuce here), and almond rice usually accompany the seasfood. There are also meat dishes and poultry. This is not a fried fish/french fries/ coleslaw restaurant, although you can certainly order that here too. Lots of wine choices and at least a half a dozen desserts to choose from.

Only caveat: this restaurant is very expensive and may not be in the average family budget. If you're going to splurge once though, I highly recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed May 16, 2010

I'm not easly impressed when it comes to seafood and my expectations were not high for this place. We stayed at Owens' motel right next door and I expected this place to be equally as mediocre but their menu looked somewhat interesting and it was close to our motel so we could have several drinks and just walk back. They start everyone off with crackers and a cheese ball type dip & bread. For appetizers my husband and I both shared a bowl of seafood gumbo and BBQ beef tips with blue cheese grits and onions, both were absolutly wonderful. All meals come with a generous sized salad and homemade salad dressing, the poppy seed was delicious. We ordered both the sepcials that were available that evening which were salmon and grouper, they were too beautiful & delicious to describe so I will post photos :) Our server was very attentive and outgoing but seemed rather clueless about the menu and bar options. There is a full bar but no cocktail menu, just a wine list. My bloody mary was terrible but all the other fantactic food and wine made up for it. I really wanted to try the key lime pie but I was just too full, I'll try that next time! I can't wait to go back..

1  Thank WeLoveTA
Reviewed May 5, 2010

The Carolina shrimp and grits were wonderful! I live too far away for a return trip, so I will have to experiment with recipes.

Reviewed April 16, 2010

The atmosphere was nice, food was great, price was expensive. Serivce was spectacular and attentative. We did not try the $8 bowl of lobster bisque - just could not stomach that much for soup.

Reviewed December 29, 2009

Had to make one more trip before they close for the winter....Oysters Owens is by far the best oyster appetizer...more like a meal....than any I have ever eaten! Now I have to wait until next year for my fix!!!!!

1  Thank obxbeacher