“Usually Great, Maybe an Off Night”
Review of Owens' Restaurant

Owens' Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 89 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Since 1946, four generations of locals and visitors have experienced the famous food and hospitality of the Owens and Shannon families.We are celebrating 69 years in business, in the same location, making us the oldest restaurant in the state of North Carolina! Owens Restaurant serves classic Southern coastal cuisine. We specialize in fresh and local seafood from North Carolina waters, exceptional Prime Western beef, and flavorful pastas. Our customers marvel at our collection of museum quality artifacts dedicated to the maritime history of the Outer Banks. Come see us for delicious food, exceptional service and warm Southern hospitality!
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We've been coming here for years and have enjoyed it everytime. Owens is a gracious setting for quality dining, and the prices reflect this. However, the portions are ample and the food is fresh and usually well prepared. This last visit was a disappointment. The food was cool to lukewarm, and overcooked. The waitress did explain the wait by saying the kitchen was "slow" tonight. My grilled teriyaki tuna was dry, no evidence of teriyaki. Lump crab cake pure crab, no fillers, but bland. Another party had filet mignon, overcooked. My son did enjoy the lobster tail. Love the hush puppies - they were hot and good. Server was young and very friendly, but I felt table could have been tidied before dessert . This time Owens was a miss. I'm hoping it was an off night -- certainly not representative of the many fine meals we've had here. Will try again next year.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I just LOVE scallops, but also love crab. I was torn between the crab cakes and the Margarita Scallops. Since I had crab a couple of times while we were in the Outer Banks, I decided to opt for the scallop dish. I was not sorry! These scallops had to be the BEST I have ever had! The subtle taste of the key lime vinaigrette along with the grilling as indicated by the grilled taste and markings was out of this world! All their food is delicious, but as a scallop lover, don't miss this dish!

2  Thank rfhutchens
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We were very much looking forward to returning to Owens, after having several memorable dinners there over the years. The restaurant decor is very traditional, with lots of wood and sea-themed decor. Dinner begins with a small crock of a cheddar cheese spread and individually wrapped crackers- nice to nibble on while looking over the menu. Prices were rather high for the amount and quality of food giving. Appetizers are around $10.95; a cup of lobster bisque was $11.95! Yikes! It was delicious, though, but not worth $11.95. Most seafood entrees are $29.95 and come with a salad. My husband had the broiled seafood platter consisting of fish, shrimp, scallops and crab. It was all broiled together in an oval dish, so all the flavors mingled and the upper items had a nice crust while the bottom items had none. The bottom items ended up being poached. For this price, it should have been arranged nicely on the plate with each item having it's own "space" not all slopped together. More effort should go into plating, since presentation is almost as important as taste. Anyway, the total check for 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) with soft drinks (no alcohol) including tax and tip came to $187! 4 appetizers, 4 entrees. We felt that dinner was nothing special and that $187 is an awful lot to spend on a simple meal. Unfortunately, Owen's priced us out of their restaurant. It is not a good value, even though the service was good.

P.S. No reservations are accepted. We arrived around 8pm and were seated right away. Their busy time is between 5:30-7:30pm. Open only for dinner.

1  Thank Piebaby
Reviewed August 1, 2011

the best seafood restaurant in nags head...service is professional and meals made to order.....

2  Thank judygatelli
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Enjoyable well prepared and served meal.My husband and I enjoyed our meal.Good pleasant service. Nice looking desserts.