“Superior Seafood!”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Superior Seafood!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Have you ever found mini crabs living in your freshly shucked oysters? NC fisherman attest that these little crabs can only live in the freshest, non-polluted waters. The oysters that I've been buying every day from the Whalebone Seafood Shop in Nags Head are sure enough chock full of crabs!! And they're outrageously delicious, I might add- both the oysters and the crabs (I roast the crabs in bacon grease for a crunchy salty treat)!

As soon as you walk in the door of the Whalebone, you are greeted by a dazzling array of shimmering pinks, whites, and silvers- yes, the colors of the freshest seafood you will ever come across, unless of course you have the wherewithal to fish it out of the ocean yourself. A fisherman I am not, however I am an avid lover of cooking and eating seafood, therefore this is the place for me!

Been in OBX for four days now, and every day I have bought oysters, fish and shrimp from these guys. They get in a new catch every day, and if you ask these friendly guys they will be happy to explain what was caught where and when, and to give you great cooking tips as well. Their steamed peel and eat shrimp is fantastic if you are just rolling through and want a snack. Fresh fish can be pricy, but I have found the prices at Whalebone to be true to the value of the fish that they sell.

This is the real deal. Before I leave OBX I may beg these guys to open a winter location in the East Village, preferably around the corner from my apartment.

Visited May 2013

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Steamed Crab perfection!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

For 2 years in a row my family and I have ordered a bushel of Maryland style steamed crabs from Whalebone Junction Seafood market and both times have been a winner!! This year, the crabs were large and heavy, meaty and delicious! We also ordered the large steamed shrimp which were also fantastic.

Call ahead to place your order. They like to have at least a 24 hour notice to ensure you get what you want. They are friendly, helpful and polite. They also have lots of fresh fish selections to choose from. Prices are fair too!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank JoAnnW57
Calabash, North Carolina
“It is all FRESH”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This market specializes in local caught seafood and my experience is that they have it going on. I purchased shrimp there and I know it was fresh because I can taste the difference. This was flavorful and had a slightly sweet taste. That's fresh.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank John V
Maryland
“Best Steamed Shrimp Ever”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Gereat Service, fast and courteous. Excellent steamed shrimp. I will be back again and again!

• Visited July 2012