“Just what I had hoped for and more”

Nags Head Pier Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 81 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
NJ
“Just what I had hoped for and more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Planned a stop here for breakfast after reading some good reviews.

A small greasy spoon, located at the foot of the Nags Head Pier. The wait staff was very pleasant and attentive, the breakfast choices were aplenty, and the food tasted great. My daughter ordered the hot cakes and was served the largest portions we have ever seen. My eggs and biscuit w/ gravy were very good. The other meals at the table were also enjoyed. It was a good value as well.

Unfortunately we could not be seated in the back room overlooking the water, will try to sit there next time. Enjoyed the historical pictures of the Nags Head beach and the annual life guard photo shoots - fun to see how the hair lines fluctuated throughout the years! Also enjoyed the signs over the cash registers, especially the one that said "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"!

Can't wait to go back.

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
“Nothing fancy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We usually come once for breakfast during our annual visit to OBX and this was our first dinner visit. Other than my broiled trout floating in an over abundance of butter, all was fine, with a great friendly wait staff. Good fair prices. Happy we went.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank E1mb
Richmond, Virginia
“So-So Food, But a Legit Beach Destination”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Nags Head Pier Restaurant is a special place for me in spite of their average food. I spent most of my youth fishing on that pier and every return brings back good memories. I eat there six-eight times during the year.

Breakfast is their best meal! A nice piece of fried fish with your eggs is a traditional coastal breakfast. However, their Spanish Omelet is superior. The taste of fresh eggs, tomato, onion and green peppers comes through loud and clear. The staff is friendly and they keep your coffe cup full.

Most of the seats in the restaurant have a good view of the ocean, creating the perfect casual ambience for a beach vacation breakfast. If you bring kids there, they will be sure to remember it for the rest of their lives as an ocean front vacation experience.

They recently started serving drinks outdoors in chairs facing the ocean, looking out over the pier. So, it's a great place to chill at sundown with a beer or Margharita as the sun sets. From that vantage point you can look out at the full length of the pier and watch the fishermen not catching anything without having to pay to 'sight see' on the pier'.

As I said, the food is only average, but the overall experience and ambience here is what most people are looking for as part of a beach vacation experience.

P.S. Their house brand ketchup is cheap, nasty and tastes like high fructose corn syrup. Even so, I like the place!

Virginia
“One of the best breakfasts in the Outer Banks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I've only ever had their breakfast, but it's memorable enough to warrant at least one repeat visit each year during my week at the beach, if not two. The eggs and pancakes are good, but what really stands out are the biscuits, home fries, and grits - all taste made-from-scratch. The restaurant has a real hole-in-the-wall feel to it - it's the kind of place I'd go regularly if I were a local. Staff are efficient, nice, and seem down to earth.

If you're a fan of chain restaurants, this likely won't be your cup of tea, but if you like places that seem local and a little old-fashioned, I'd definitely recommend.

Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“best pancakes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

We have brunch here on our first day every year and it is a great start to vacation-- the pancakes are awesome and the service is very fast and friendly. There is no better setting!

Visited August 2012