“Good Parasailing; Bad Kayaking”

Kitty Hawk Kites Hang Gliding School
Ranked #1 of 23 Shopping in Nags Head
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest hang gliding school in the world! Located at Jockey's Ridge State Park, Kitty Hawk Kites has taught well over 300,000 people how to hang glide since the school was founded in 1974 by pioneer hang glider John Harris.
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We went parasailing with Kitty Hawk Kites from Manteo and we had a great time. The guys were friendly and everything went off without a hitch. Parasailing wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be.

The next day we went sea kayaking on the Bodie Island Tour and it wasn't great. First there was a big group with a bunch of different skill levels and only one guide so we were all held up by the people who couldn't get the hang of it. Basically, I didn't feel like I got my money's worth. With big groups or groups with small kids there should probably be too guides - one to hang back and help people and one to lead people and make the most of their time on the water.

1  Thank Bearcatgirl08
"sunny day"
"state park"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 5, 2011

Excellent experience. Everyone truly enjoyed themselves. The tow plane actually broke down right before our flight. Kitty Hawk was prepared and said they always have 2 others ready to go, so after a short wait, we were up! The only down side I can say is it is in Currituck which is roughly 1 hour from the heart of the OuterBanks (Nags Head)

1  Thank honeypup
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Went out on a kayaking trip around Roanoke Island with my husband and parents. Lovely, crisp experience. Tour guide was a kayak geek who assimilated nicely and could clue us into some great local spots. The tour itself was supposed to be on the history of the first settlement and was a bit light on the history end, but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless. I would definitely do another tour/activity with Kitty Hawk Kites in the future.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

While I was down in the Outer Banks, I wanted to do something exciting. I decided on a 2,000 ft hang gliding tandem lesson. What an experience! You strap in to the kite along with your instructor and are towed up in the air by a plane (something the Wright Brothers would have used!) and are cut loose at altitude. From there, the instructor lets you take control and offers some aerobatics (if you're interested). The view from up there is great. I recommend this adventure while in the OBX. We stayed in Duck and it was about a 45 minute drive to the Currituck Airport for the lesson. Give yourself time to get there. The only reason I gave this a 4 and not a 5 is because the entire ride is about 10 minutes. I would have like to stay in the air a little longer. The experience (for those who are scared/nervous) can be described as disappointingly safe.

1  Thank tjaden98
See more reviews
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We took a hang gliding lesson and it was awesome! Kitty Hawk Kites is very well run. All instructors were great. Very young and energetic but none so great as Johnathan! He was our instructor and he was just incredible! Very patient and knowledgable. A great teacher! It was such a great feeling lifting off the ground and being able to "fly" The sand dunes at Jockey's Ridge are beautiful and very forgiving as well. I wiped out and all but landed the glider on poor Johnathan and it didn't hurt...Sorry to say I can't speak for him ; ) Sorry again!
You HAVE to do this if you are in the Outer Banks!!