“Surprisingle good”

FireFly Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We wanted to give Firefly a try despite the mixed reviews. We were very impressed with the whole experience. The service was excellent as were the shrimp and grits. Defintely recommend giving it a try.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This restaurant is so overated. Food was awful and the service was horrible. They tried get order right like 3ctimes and I finally just at it. The owner was in lobby mouthing off to a customer.Dont eat here.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We've been coming down to the Outer Banks for well over 20 years and every now and then we find a place that we add to our "must go" list. Last year we discovered Firefly and after going back again tonight, it's become one of our new favorites.

Despite the bright yellow exterior, the earth tones inside make for a comfortable setting. The staff is extremely friendly and seem to genuinely want you to enjoy your experience. (If you go, ask for Josie... she took great care of us tonight and was able to answer questions we had about the menu with confidence, not afraid to make suggestions when we asked.)

I'd be confident ordering anything on the menu, but here are our comments on the things we've tried so far: The Fried Green Beans are made with fresh, flavorful green beans and the coating has just a bit of heat to it that takes a few seconds to kick in. Really good. So are the very thinly sliced onion rings. Shrimp and corn chowder is different, hearty and really tasty.

Salads are good but nothing special. The citrus vinegrette dressing, is very nice.

Lobster Mac and Cheese is fantastic - you can also substitute fried chicken in place of the lobster and Josie told us that it was really good as well. We trust her.

My wife had an out of body experience enjoying the Shrimp and grits. She's a southern girl and knows the real deal. If she wasn't such a lady, she would have licked the plate. I'm not from the south but thoroughly enjoyed the collard greens with my fried flounder, which was fresh, local and delicious. Good selection of drinks - my Mojito was made with fresh mint grown in their own garden.

Lots of families when we were there so it seems to be kid friendly. Tab for my wife and I tonight was right around $40 for two entree's including 2 sides each, a cocktail and appetizer.

Not too many places we haven't tried on the OBX over the past few decades. Firefly has become one of our favorites.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Visited here last year and it was amazing... Went there for dinner this year and still amazing! Great food & service! The small plate meatloaf is really good! Get there early for their soup or they run out!!!!!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We enjoyed this place to eat. Waitress was wonderful and food was great too. I had the grilled meatloaf. Very good!