“You will be glad you did!”
Review of FireFly Restaurant - CLOSED

FireFly Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2012

If I could make just one restaurant recommendation for the entire Outer Banks, it would be the FireFly. I'll admit upfront, it's a bit quirky. The decor tries to make you feel like your in the back woods, which is tough with the building originally designed as a stately southern mansion.

But what really matters here is the food. The FireFly's take on Southern Comfort food is amazing. Have you ever gone to a restaurant just for a side dish? You know, like green beans, or creamed corn. Well, we would go to the FireFly just for their side of Cheesy Grits! The Fried Green Beans are nice, with a bit of a spicey heat built in. The Crab Dip has a bit of spice as well, from a bit of horseradish. Then there's the Lobster Mac and Cheese. My goodness! It is incredible - and it comes with 1 side (cheesy grits!).

For entrees, they have so much to offer. If you're real hungry their entrees are large helpings with two sides (I get double cheesy grits!), then they have a section for small plates (this is where we order from when having drinks at their beautiful bar upstairs), there is a sandwich section and a salad section, and finally a kids meal section. All of these different menu sections come priced accordingly, so any budget can find happiness here.

Then finally, the desert menu. My wife and I shared the Cheese Pie. Wow. So rich that night that it became a breakfast snack the next morning!

As far as the adult drinks, they have a special martini drink menu that is nice. And they have close to 10 different Scotch whiskies to choose from, if that's your thing (it is mine).

The FireFly is by far the best place in the OBX. It is great for families as well as a two-some (I'd recommend the upstairs for the couple). The service is great - we got to speak with one of the owners of the place for a bit, she was a lot of fun. Choose the FireFly over the same old, same old. You'll be glad you did!

1  Thank mandr410

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Amazing! I was so surprised at how amazing the food was at Firefly restaurant. It was so good that my family went two nights in a row and brought back friends! The tiny baked potatoes were out of this world! My eleven year old son even said that FireFly was was his favorite! He had the lobster Mac and cheese and loved it! We will definitely be going back next year when we go on vacation.

1  Thank Dollman1
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I are celebrating our first (of many) anniversary in the Outer Banks. On our first night, we were driving along S. Croatoan, looking for a place to stop when we found FireFly. I had read about it briefly before, so we gave it a try... and we did not regret it!

The restaurant itself is in what appears to be an old Southern mansion and is so charming. The downstairs is decorated with 'trees' and 'branches' with little 'fireflies' everywhere. The upstairs bar has the night sky painted on the ceiling, which was a nice touch. On the tables, there are jars of 'fireflies' - very whimsical. Very cute and cozy. Also, perfect whether it's a date or a family affair. Lots of space and big tables!

The food... THE FOOD! I ordered the shrimp and grits (it's the south, you have to have grits!). The grits are amazing. They are laced with cheese... so if you are lactose intolerant, you may want to forego... or take a Lactaid so you don't miss out! I was torn between the dish I got, the crab pot pie, and the lobster mac & cheese. I don't think I would have been sad with any of them. Also, don't miss the sweet potatoes. They are topped with marshmellows that are hand-torched, so they taste like they were roasted over the campfire. My husband got the crabcake sandwich, but being from MD, we're a little spoiled. It was good, but not up to par with what we get at home - smaller lumps of crabmeat and a lot of filling. We also got a basket of biscuits and hushpuppies that were yummy!

We wanted to try the martinis, but since we were driving (and didn't want the other to miss out), we didn't. Definitely want to go back and try them, though!

Everyone who worked there was extremely friendly. Our waitress was great and happily answered all our questions (which mostly consisted of us asking her what she would get, since we couldn't decide).

I would absolutely go back... especially to try all the things I missed out on!

1  Thank FMRSS1009
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This place is so nice inside. It feels like you are sitting by a swamp with trees and fireflies twinkling throughout...even inside mason jars on each table. The people are extremely friendly and the menu is filled with southern specialties. It is nice to have a menu different from those at so many other OBX restaurants. It is very kid friendly and if the kids get restless, just buy them an order of flickers! These are a must have restaurant specialty which are like glazed donut holes.

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We arrived on a Friday night of a long weekend, they were busy but got us right in with the large group that we were. Waiter was very attentive, corrected wrong drink right away, and the waters were always refilled. The food was spectacular, fried pickles were nice and crisp, oysters were crisp outside but succulent inside, and the lobster Mac and cheese is to die for...all around a wonderful start to our weekend, we'll be back!