“Great views, some food was great, some was just okay.”

Sugar Creek Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Soundfront
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We tried these guys out this past weekend while in Nags Head. I saw them online and they were recommended by our hotel. It wasn't hard to get a table on a Saturday night but we did go right before the season started (weekend before Memorial Day). My fiancee ordered the $35 special (salad, choice of two entrees/sides, and then a dessert). He ordered the crab stuffed flounder and rice. I ordered the broiled shrimp and scallops.
Everything looked great and came out rather quickly. We also received some corn bread which was pretty delicious. The only complaint my fiancee had was the rice he received with his flounder tasted like it had been sitting for too long so it didn't taste fresh. He thought the stuffed flounder was GREAT though.
The only complaint I had with my meal was the shrimp I received were a bit tasteless and overdone. The scallops, however, WERE DIVINE. Cooked PERFECTLY, extremely tender, and they are HUGE this season for some reason.
We shared the dessert that came with the special which was a double fudge brownie. The only complaint we had about the brownie was the fruit sauce they had on top. It may be great to others but it just wasn't our thing. It didn't stop us from enjoying the warm brownie, however.
Now, the real reason as to why I'm using the average rating... for 2 people, our bill already included an 18% gratuity. 18% gratuity for just two people. I'm not from OBX so this was rather odd to me. I'm also a voluntarily, FABULOUS over tipper because I've worked in the food service industry whether it's serving, hosting, or selling. I also know that in most cases, you're going to have a gratuity already included in parties of at least 6-8 or more. I was taken aback by this mandatory charge for just 2 people and want to let others know in advance that it's their policy. I didn't encounter another local restaurant in OBX that had this policy. I'm not saying our service wasn't great but I was rather thrown off by this policy. I have never been to a restaurant in my life that includes an 18% gratuity for any less than 6 people.

1  Thank Sarah T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The food here is always good, the service, too. There is a gift shop on premises and I rarely leave empty handed (and we visit the beach twice a year - my husband grits his teeth when I go into the gift shop :) ) I love their broiled seafood platter, their dinner salads are great as are the crab legs. A nice selection of draft beer, outside seating and an Osprey nest close by. Their cornbread is usually my dessert. We always budget for two meals here when we come to OBX. A tad pricey but, again, most people don't come here weekly or even monthly - well worth the cost.

1  Thank Kyna D
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This restaurant is water front and has several tables sitting right along the windows for a spectacular view (and sunset), a small patio area for dinning outside, and a beautiful lighted dock which illuminates the water beautifully at night. There is a small bar and gift shop inside. The gift shop is mainly speciality jewelry with some very attractive pieces. She also has a nice collection of charms and pendants.
The service and food were very good, the atmosphere is casual but nice so jeans a top and flip flops are acceptable or you could dress a little nicer but not formal.

1  Thank poweryacker
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have been to Nags Head many times and always eat at Sugar Creek at least once. We started eating there when it was named RVs. The crab bisque is absolutely delicious! Only order a cup though unless you can hold a bowl of very rich and creamy bisque. It has LOTS of crabmeat. I enjoyed the crab bisque with a salad and my husband had the soft shell crabs. Both were very good. Can hardly wait to go back.

1  Thank skpswfe
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife & I were on vacation in Nags Head and looking for a lunch spot. We have not been in the area before and our tried and tested method of finding somewhere good is to check the car parks and see how busy they are,usually a good sign if places are busy and it proved true here. I ate an excellent hamburger which was big enough for two people my wife ate seafood which she said was wonderful, high praise for a lunch time special. Well worth a visit if your in the area.