“Jerk wings”

Blue Moon Beach Grill
Ranked #1 of 81 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Blue Moon Beach Grill is located at MP 13 in sunny, downtown Nags Head. We are just down the road from Jockey's Ridge in Surfside Plaza. We are open 7 days a week from 11:30 AM till 9:00 PM. Our goal is to provide each customer with a "once in a blue moon" dining experience.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Jerk wings”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Recommended by Oasis....great food but long wait...2.5 hours. You can order on phone! Great jerk wings and vegetarian portobello mushroom with risotto...omg!

Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Yes, the jerk wings are great.......not your typical, off the shelf wing. Also, thank you for taking the time to review Blue Moon Beach Grill. Yes, the wait can be long during the high season. However, the wait is long at any beach restaurant that has good food. I do want to point out that we decline take out/phone orders when we are on a significant "wait". This only adds to the wait, so we have to decline when the wait is long. We appreciate your business and we hope that you will visit us again soon, maybe in the shoulder seasons or off season, when there is no wait. Cheers and bon appetit!!

Finksburg, Maryland
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

While this restaurant is not really hidden, it is in a location that might lead you to believe that it is nothing special. Nothing could be further from the truth. This place was really, really great! The food is prepared to really please those who want something special in their food. I chose the "Shrimp, Not a Burger. And, wow! I was so happy with my lunch. I would have to say it was the best "Sandwich" I have ever eaten. My daughter chose the Portobello Sandwich, she too was extremely pleased with her choice. My husband chose the Fried Oyster Po' Boy and my son chose the Cheese steak and Fries. They too were very happy with their meals. My husband said we have to go back again next year! The prices were great for the High quality food. This place is busy, we had to wait about 30 minutes, but it was well worth the wait.

Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Our location has been a challenge and we are glad that you "hunted us down". While we don't have the infamous "water view", we will strive to give you a "once in a blue moon" dining experience. We appreciate your business and we hope to see you again. Cheers and bon appetit!!
Mount Airy, North Carolina
“The Best Restaurant on the Outer Banks!”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I stumbled across the Blue Moon on our recent trip to the Outer Banks. We were eager to try local food and this place did not disappoint!! The prices were the best value of the entire trip and the food was excellent!! We had great service, even though we were there during the busy lunch rush. The atmosphere is great! Loved the artwork on the walls! We will definitely make this a regular stop for us every time we visit!!

• Visited July 2014
Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Saying that we are "The best restaurant on the Outer Banks" is a very nice compliment, since Trip Advisor lists 461 active restaurants. Thank you very much. We are glad that you enjoyed your meal and we hope to see you again soon. Thanks again.
California
“You gotta go here.”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

consistently came up on yelp and we see why. The food was very imaginative and our plates were clean. I could see why people repeat even with many other choices. This and Owens get out top picks. Blue Moon was simply amazing. The buffalo shrimp outstanding..etc.etc

Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for visiting Blue Moon. We appreciate your business and we are glad that you enjoyed your meal. We like being in the same company as Owens, because we think Owens is a great restaurant. They are a family owned and run restaurant, much like us, and have been in business since 1946. That's some staying power! We appreciate being in their company. We hope to see you again soon.............cheers and bon appetit!!
Coshocton, Ohio
“Excellent casual dining”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The Blue Moon Beach Grill was a wonderful dining experience. The restaurant has a casual, clean,and fun beach atmosphere with an average sized bar with flat screen TVs, a small but nicely laid out dining room, an open kitchen, and a small outside patio.

The service was fantastic. We were attended to by numerous members of the staff, all of whom were very professional, courteous, and pleasant. Our server, in particular, had a great personality, knew when to attend to us, and knew when to let us enjoy our food; she (Immie) was great. Half of our party was small children, and she was especially patient and friendly with them.

The food was equally spectacular. I had my doubts when we ordered the calamari appetizer. It was good, but not great. The fried calamari had a nice crispness, but was not much different or superior to any other calamari I'd sampled previously. Don't misunderstand the review; it WAS good, just not AS good as the rest of the meal. It was, however, served with an interesting sauce which gave it a small twist - if you like calamari, you would like the Blue Moon Beach Grill's calamari.

For entrees, both kids ordered PB &J sandwiches off the kids menu - they were...peanut butter...and jelly. The kids did, however, get the same great hand cut french fries that my wife received with her GREAT fish and chips. The fish was locally caught Mahi Mahi, and it tasted as fresh as fresh gets. The batter was tasty and extremely crisp and the fish was fantastic. The cole slaw was also excellent, although for me it did not stand out quite as strongly as the fish itself.

My entree was the fish tacos. The fish was, again, locally caught, and was seared and served on twin flour tortillas with monterey jack cheese and fresh lettuce and tomato. I added a few splashes of the restaurant's own signature serrano pepper sauce that was on the table; a delight. They also sell bottles of this stuff there - try it, you'll like it if you like hot pepper sauces! The entree was finished off with rice and black beans with a tomato garnish - again I splashed on some more of the serrano sauce. The flavors of the rice and beans were good if not spectacular, but the tacos were among the best fish tacos I've ever eaten.

The Blue Moon Beach Grill is off the main drag, and you won't see any advertisements in coupon books or things like that, but it's worth the trip. Check it out, and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

July 27, 2014

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Sabowan
Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Now that is a great, kick butt review and we surely appreciate the kind words. The calamari is "different". So many expect a tomato based sauce and our lemon, pepper sauce is sometimes a surprise. 9 out of 10 times it is a home run, but occasionally it doesn't meet a diner's "sauce standard". We are especially grateful that you recognized Immie's great service. She is a valued employee and implements our service standards with true professionalism. So on behalf of Immie, we thank you. Again, thank you for your business and we hope to see you again on your next visit to the Outer Banks. Cheers and bon appetit!