“Very good shrimp and grits”

Blue Moon Beach Grill
Ranked #1 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Blue Moon Beach Grill is located at MP 13 in sunny, downtown Nags Head. We are just down the road from Jockey's Ridge in Surfside Plaza. We are open 7 days a week from 11:30 AM till 9:00 PM. Our goal is to provide each customer with a "once in a blue moon" dining experience.
Reviewed December 10, 2013

A friend recommended Blue Moon. We went there earlier in the year during "in" season. We were told that the wait would be 90 minutes. Apparently others had gotten the word about the place too. We opted to come back another time. Last night, in "off" season, we made a break for it. Arriving at about 5:30, there were plenty of tables to spare, although the place began to fill up after that.

The menu is reasonably varied. Perhaps a bit more pricey than I'd expect a beach favorite to be. But it was inviting nonetheless.

The wine queen had her usual libation. I was pleased to see that they stocked Sierra Nevada pale ale. Not all places do.

She ordered the shrimp and grits, a $19 entree. The grits were cooked with gouda cheeze to flavor them, as well as ample bacon infused. I tasted, and it was some of the best I've had. It also included onions, roasted red peppers, 7 decent sized shrimp and not spicy at all, which pleased her. Very tasty were her exact words.

I had the fish and chips. Chips in this case are fries of course. I only eat fries when they are first served. When they chill, I am turned off by the soggyness, etc. They were fine when they arrived, nuff said. The other side was cole slaw. I am not a fan of cole slaw, but this was as good as common fare cole slaw is gonna get. On to the fish. It was tempura battered mahi. Taste wise, it was quite good. Our waiteress brought ketchup and malted vinegar to our table ... well in advance of our entrees being ready. Good planning on her part. That did not go unnoticed. When the meals arrived, there was also a side of roumelade for my fish. It was sort of like thousand islands, except that it had a healthy infusion of horseraddish. I loved the malt vinegar on the fish. I did not care for the taste of horseraddish with fish. I guess others must, or that practice would have ended long before I arrived.

Nonetheless, my meal was quite good. An aside. My entire meal was brought to me heaped in a basket. A $14 meal in a basket? But there was some method to the madness. The waiteress also brought two small plates. I took one piece of fish at a time and placed it on the plate. So only the fish got vinegar on it. And the heaped food stayed warmer longer in the basket. On the other hand, the queen put a sampling of her shrimp and grits on the other plate, and I got to taste that at my leisure as well. All's well that ends well.

We were too sated for dessert, needless to say.

As an aside, I noticed that they had a salmon and crab bisque, $7 for a cup or $10 for a bowl. I was tempted, but not this night.

We will return.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,147)

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Even in the off-season, the place is always packed. A true chef-created menu with unique offerings. Sat at the bar while waiting for a table. Very friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We were curious why the Blue moon was rated to high by locals. Our favorite local spot Tortiua lie was closed for season. We decided to try the Blue Moon grill on or last night on the outer banks. We were delighted by both the food and service. The griiled salmon salad was awesome. I enjoyed the Shrimo creo stuffed Wahou. Every thing was presented fresh and outer banks. TASTEE! we plan to return in spring 2014.
A great additiob to Outer Bank Sea food enviroment.

1  Thank Bob S
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed in Nags Head over Thanksgiving week and had lunch at the Blue Moon. It has a wonderful Outer Banks atmosphere and the food is spectacular. We had the pumpkin crab bisque and blackened drum. All I can say is WOW, don't miss this place. The staff was so friendly and the service matched.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I decided on a quick weekend getaway to Nags Head and after settling into our room we decided on dinner. Realizing Nags Head and surrounding areas are summer destinations for the most part, we knew our dining options would diminish during the off season.

The fact our dining options were reduced wasn’t necessarily a bad thing and with the help of our lodging hosts we were given names of local restaurants worthy of trying for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

We decided to give the ‘’Blue Moon Beach Grill’ a try. We arrived and found parking readily available and upon entering we immediately got a comfortable ‘local’ feel. After being seated, we ordered drinks. The service was prompt and our server was friendly and courteous (didn’t make us feel like tourist) and offered several choices to consider. After making our selections we enjoyed conversation and people watching.

Several minutes later our server arrived with our food. The food was great as was the service. The no-frills environment was inviting with just a touch of beach kitsch (surfboards nailed to the walls, fish nets, etc.). We had a relaxing enjoyable dinner and would highly recommend giving this venue a try.

1  Thank K A