“Best sushi! Best chefs!”

Taiko Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 91 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I live in Manteo and go to Taiko probably once or twice a week. The food is great and definitely best sushi I ever had anywhere. The owner of the property is a very nice guy who cares about the quality of the food and makes sure every customer leaves happy. During the season, service might be a little slower but it’s normal for any other place on the beach. It does worth the wait though. Give it a try and you won’t be disappointed.

Date of visit: May 2013

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We love this place, the Sushi is awesome ! Its a mid-size place, good atmosphere and friendly staff. We live in Hampton Roads but frequently get down to Nags Head, and try to get by here once every trip. The spider roll and spicy tuna roll are our favorite, but we try to sample a new roll every time we go. They have cold beer and red wine, so we're really happy when we leave :-) Price is between $$ and $$$, gotta try this place when you're in Nags Head......!

Date of visit: October 2012
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I don't know why this restaurant isn't packed each time we are there. The food is great, not too pricey, and the wait staff are extremely attentive. Have been twice now, and will return next summer when we are in OBX.

Date of visit: July 2012
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife and I both love sushi and always seek it out wherever we travel. When I say this was pretty average, I feel like I'm damning with faint praise. We both enjoyed our meals, which consisted of nigiri sushi- salmon, yellowtail, mackerel, crab stick. I had a piece of uni and abalone and an oshinko roll. Wife had a California roll and seaweed salad. I was interested to try the abalone since I see it listed all the time but no one ever has it. If this is typical abalone, I will pass in the future. Very, very chewy and really tasteless. Now for a couple of complaints. My salad had about twice as much ginger dressing on it than necessary. My piece of uni had wasabi in the rice, which was too much. I think things are overpriced. It's priced per piece and the cheapest was $2. Service was good. Atmosphere was OK. I would go back if there were no other options. On the other hand, I will probably try one of the other sushi places on the OBX, just to get a comparison.

Date of visit: September 2012
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Good sushi and noodles. The green tea just keeps on coming and the staff is friendly. What else do you need in a restaurant? Don't be put off by the Mall location.

Date of visit: September 2012