“Don't panic - find somewhere cheaper and probably better” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Sussex, UK
“Don't panic - find somewhere cheaper and probably better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Learn from our mistake. Even if you up on a Friday evening in the summer and people tell you everything is booked up, keep trying as you are bound to find somewhere as good and for a lot cheaper.
We ended up paying $500 for two nights here! It wasn't really worth that by a huge margin but we panicked and handed over our card. Market forces are operating here in favour of a tired, old hotel in a great location. Breakfast was included but we really wished it wasn't - it wasn't good, coffee tasteless and you left feely guilty that your body ingested it!

It was full and it looks like the American economy is booming again if so many people are paying that sort of money (or maybe we were just being charged that sort of sum).

Personally, I would suggest going on to Ocracoke for a good range of motels for $80/$90.
I don't think I will ever want to give Comfort Inns my business in the future after this.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank tootrocker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Clarks Summit, Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on 6/22..at 1:00pm...was told room would be ready by 4,which was not a problem as went to beach...went to check in at 3:54pm....and was told we still could not get key till 4...really?...6minutes?..then at 4,the desk clerk struggled to still get us in a room,and couldn't seem to juggle things around to get us in, which by the time we did get a room was 4:35 !...Seems odd since I had made the reservation back in January. Since I had a wedding to go to by 6, I was now hurried. I was appalled by this lack of detail and attention!...Finally ended up on the 7th floor at the end of a hallway,in which the AIR not been on and this room hadn't been dusted in days if not weeks! Room was small ,bathrrom had plumbing issues and the entire hotel needs a facelift/renovation.... I was extremely disappointed in this beach front property which I chose based on its location... Next time will base my choice on hospitality,efficiency,and cleanliness....very disappointed in Comfort inn

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank hbr211

Travelers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Disputanta, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our extended family goes to OBX every year and we stay in rental homes. However, this was our anniversary and my husband I were going by ourselves. We haven't stayed in a hotel in OBX for about 10 years. However, I found Comfort Inn to be very nice. The breakfast was fine and the staff was friendly. The location was wonderful. B/c of the weather, they opened the pool early (however, we didn't use it). I would definitely stay there again!! (After reading some of the comments before we left for the OBX, I was very leary about staying there; however, we found quite the opposite of what I had read.) BTW, I used a groupon so the price was excellent too!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LoveOBX73
Collingswood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is right on beautiful Nags Head beach. The rooms have a beautiful view, and it is dog-friendly, so you can vacation with your best friend. The hotel was recently renovated and rooms updated. It is close to restaurants and other attractions. Perfect for a family vacation.

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank Molly B
Elkview, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just your average Comfort Inn. I wished the reservation personal would have told us that they were remodeling - we probably would not have stayed. The hotel is old and they had remodeled the rooms but it still needs a lot of work. A lot of work! I certainly would not recommended this hotel for $199 or higher a night that they ask for the weekends. That is a ripe off. Destini at the front desk was very helpful. Breakfast was nice, but the staff had a hard time keeping up with supply, it was hot in the area, and I would hate to see it during pike season. The comfort Inn hotel chain seems to have really gone downhill. When you make a reservation you don't know what you will find when you check in. Always check tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Oceanfront did have beautiful views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank litebright
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Well I'm truly not one to complain, but I felt compelled to share my experience here with everyone else. This hotel is a dump - and that's coming from someone who is used to $50 hotels. Granted, they were in the midst of renovations, but that's no excuse for waking up with paint chips on our bed and they didn't have to start work at 8am on a weekend. And that was the least of it. Our biggest complaint this weekend was the fact that numerous times throughout our stay we would go to our room to find it unlocked. The door lock was apparently completely broken and would not lock when we left the room. The staff was suprisingly unconcerned that our valuables were available for any one to take. That was apparent after they claimed three separate times that they were "sending the maintenance man up right now to fix it" and he never came. Yes, they did comp one of our nights and move us to a different room, but not without more than 5 visits to the front desk and a very unpleasant experience with the general manager. Me being a very polite person, I was appalled by the attitude I received from the general manager. She was extremely rude and defensive and was very hesitant to give us a discount, even though it was obviously well deserved. A manager should be here to keep their customers happy, not treat them like crap. However, the rest of the staff seemed quite nice. Also, there is obvious water damage on the walls of the rooms, both that we stayed in. Although there's no obvious stench in the room, there's definite mildew and deterioration. Also, my shower turned ice cold after 10 minutes. All in all, this hotel is a rip off, and I hope I have saved you the headache of having to deal with this dump.

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank sublimek
Pleasant Garden, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a long weekend. There were renovations in progress and from what it appears, they were much needed. Our room was upgraded to a king with oceanfront. The bed was most comfortable and the view was beautiful. The breakfast was a great selling point. Some cons include minor things such as no towel rods in the bathroom (unknown if they were going to be installed later), the shower drain broke, and the wifi was a weak on the 4th floor. These minor cons were not enough for me to downgrade the hotel. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tommy S
Martha B, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I do agree with you about the towel rods, we are still in the process of putting the finishing touches on the bathrooms. We are striving to improve the hotel and I am so thrilled you enjoyed your stay, we hope you will visit again in the near future.

Regards,

Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.5 of 5 stars 675 reviews
Travelodge Nags Head Beach Hotel / Outer Banks
Travelodge Nags Head Beach Hotel...
#4 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 stars 940 reviews
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
4.5 of 5 stars 1,198 reviews
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
3.5 of 5 stars 2,081 reviews
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#5 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 stars 994 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn South Oceanfront? Share your experiences!