“The Perfect Place To Stay!”
other travelers have booked this property
Winter with snow in the valley....
All time favorite reading spot Beautiful screened-in porch overlooking the spectacular views.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Winter with snow in the valley....
All time favorite reading spot
Beautiful screened-in porch overlooking the spectacular views.
Outdoor dining on the screened-in porch
The best place in the Smokey's to watch the sun rise.
Sunrise one morning in winter from the screened-in porch.
Sunrise in summer with clouds in the valley
Kitchen has everything you'll need
Kitchen, indoor dining, hallway leading to half bath and staricase leading to upstairs bedrooms.
Kitchen, we have some spices and paper goods. Use whatever you'd like.
Autumn Leaves
Storm late one day
Living area, desk, kitchen.
Indoor dining table with view
Copper collection on the fireplace. New remote controlled gas fireplace.
Living room has a couch, 3 recliners, flat screen TV
fog lifting from the valley on a stormy day
My attempt at barn painting. I'll get better
Master bath
Master bedroom with flat screen tv
Master bedroom.
Lower deck area has a gas grill, picnic table, lounge chair and two person swing. Beautiful View!
Dogwood in Spring
Hallway connecting the two bedrooms and bath.
Guest Bedroom with Queen bed.
Morning World
Front Walk
My sweet cabin.
Wildlife
View from the master bedroom window
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
colbe94
Lansing, Michigan
“The Perfect Place To Stay!”
Reviewed September 29, 2015 for a stay in August 2015

The retreat is the absolute perfect place to stay for a relaxing vacation. The views from the cabin are breathtaking! There was nothing better than sitting on the deck with a cup of coffee every morning and enjoying the crisp mountain air. The cottage is clean, comfortable, and is stocked with almost everything you might need. The drive up to the cabin is steep but short, and there is plenty of privacy from any neighbors. The Wi-Fi worked great along with the provided MacBook, and the TV was convenient for late night relaxation. The town of Murphy is amazing and is close to many attractions. I fell in love right away and we met so many friendly people in town. If you want a relaxing, stress free vacation in the Smokies then stay here! I cannot recommend it enough!

Joanie-
Thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality, the cabin exceeded everything we ever expected. I’m so grateful to have stumbled upon FlipKey and your property. This is a trip we will remember forever and we are so happy you and your cabin were a part of it.
Thanks again,
Nicole and Ransom

Liked best: The view
Your age range 18-24
Management Response
Nov 4, 2015
Thank you so much for coming to stay at my little "Retreat"! I was thrilled that you enjoyed it so much. I love having people in my cabin that enjoy sitting outside on the screened porch and watch the ever changing mountains. Thanks so much for the great review and I hope that you come back and see us!
Mlappa
New Orleans, Louisiana
“A mountain paradise”
Reviewed August 29, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

Joanie's house is the perfect destination to get away from the stresses of of everyday living. It is immaculately clean and absolutely everything you could want is provided for you. The cool, clean mountain air combines with the soft sounds of nature, to relax you no matter had tense you are when you arrive.

The house has two decks overlooking 3 states (North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia), one screened in, and one open to the sky. The nightly stars are incredible, and there is even a star gazing lounge chair perfectly positioned to watch for hours without straining your neck. The hummingbird feeder attracts those beautiful, little birds every day, and the morning mist hangs over the valley each day.

The drive up the mountain is very steep, but a short distance (0.5 mile), and only takes a few minutes, but it takes you completely away from civilization. The TV has every channel you could ever want, the kitchen has whatever you need, and she even provided a laptop PC & free wi-fi to make dinner reservation, golf tee times, zip line tours, etc.

It is a great value and I recommend it highly.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the screened in porch for morning coffee and breakfast.
Liked least: nothing
Friends getaway
Brian B
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Fine dining with the best view around!”
Reviewed August 18, 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

My wife and met her sister and husband there for a week long getaway. We could not have been happier with the accommodations or the owner! This place is very comfortable and informal. Joan has it decorated tastefully country (just enough Kitsch). We did have some technological struggles playing a video and using her computer but that says more about us. The screen porch makes this house and we spent almost every waking hour there eating and playing scrabble at the table, laying back reading in the wicker chairs and chase lounge, and taking in the ever changing scenery of the mountain skyline. The king bed was too big for the room and the weak mattress had me pitched down to the headboard but the other bed seemed quite nice. Comfortable bedding and everything very clean. The kitchen is well appointed and we (my sister in law) made all of our meals there so we ate better food and had a better view than any restaurant. The bird feeders were stocked but were emptied by the fifth day (lots of activity). I cannot image a better spot or value and will certainly come back if she will have us.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The massive screen porch with fabulous views.
Liked least: king size bed too big for room and mattress worn out.
Traveling group: Other
Your age range 35-49
Josh M
Mundelein, Illinois
“Peaceful”
Reviewed August 5, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

Me and my Father spent four nights here and had a great time. The view was awesome and the house had everything you will need. I would recommend this place to anyone just wanting to get away and relax.

Liked best: The view
Liked least: The deposit takes way to long to get back
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 25-34
Kadar J
Macon, Georgia
“Exactly what we were promised!”
Reviewed July 12, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Everything at this beautiful cabin was exactly as advertised online and precisely what we needed! The view was awesome. The place was clean, quiet, and comfortable. It had all of the amenities one could expect... WIFI & satellite TV (both of which worked properly); modern, well-equipped kitchen; comfortable, well-maintained furniture; and not one but two decks (one open-air & one screened-in) from which to enjoy the incredible view. Many times the road up to cabins like this can be a problem but this one was paved and well-maintained. It was definitely steep and narrow but we have seen a lot worse!

The cabin is perfect for a couple though it could work for a couple with a small family. The 2 bedrooms and the full bath are a little small. Watch out for the step-ups at the entrance to both bedrooms! (This was one of the few awkward things about the cabin.) These were drawbacks but by no means deal breakers. We certainly hope to go back!

Families with young children
Keith W
Central Florida, Florida
“Relax, unwind and take a walk along the river....”
Reviewed June 17, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Great cabin, spent 10 days in the cool mountains. The cabin is quiet, comfortable, beautiful views, nice bed, well-equipped kitchen (we like to cook in), gas grill, on a hill, close to town, shady and cool, surrounded by trees and scenery. We have stayed in Murphy on other occasions and a few other places, but this was by far the best equipped and most comfortable. Good wi-fi connection for emails and music, washer and dryer, nice flat panel TV and HBO made it convenient. The back porch is screened in, very nice comfortable furnishings and a great long-range mountain view. When we return to Murphy, we will stay here again. There is so much to do and see within a short drive it is always a pleasure to go there. When you don't want to do anything except snuggle-up at the cabin, toss a steak and corn-on-the-cob on the grill, this is the place to be!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: We were on a scenic, quiet mountain top and only five minutes from stores and town!
Liked least: When we had to leave and go home....
Your age range 50-64
Allyson P
Fort Myers, Florida
“Perfect, Perfect, Perfect!!!!”
Reviewed June 4, 2015 for a stay in March 2015

Joanie,
It was absolutely perfect! I could not have wanted anything more for the true vacation I needed! I LOVE your place - I never even left the grounds the whole week!

Above The Clouds was the most restful, perfect vacation I have ever taken. The house itself was spotless, had every amenity I could ask for, beautifully decorated, super comfortable. The bed in the master bedroom was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The view was spectacular! I spent most of my time on the screen porch in the comfy wicker chaise and rocking chairs. It was quiet, secluded, and absolutely beautiful at all times of the day and night. I traveled alone but felt perfectly safe in the location. Joanie had thought of every bit of information I could need before my trip and sent it to me - that was so helpful! I just can't say enough about the host, the house, the location - it was absolutely perfect for me - above and beyond my expectations! The pictures on this website are so accurate. I honestly thought it couldn't be this good, but it was! I will be back many times in the future. Joanie was great to work with too. The transaction process, the communication between us was so smooth. Perfect, perfect, perfect!!!

I was able to do here exactly what I needed - unwind, rest, reflect, restore. I had been through some tough times in the last few months and was so stressed out. This truly was a retreat for me. I went braless, shoeless, and make-up less the entire week, and felt like a new person at the end. It was as comfortable as home, so pretty but homey and somehow familiar. I loved, loved, loved the privacy!

I cannot think of one solitary thing that could be improved. Not one.
Please DO put me on your short list and any list for specials - I will definitely be back - I would live there if I could!

Thanks again, Karen

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The screened in porch
Traveling group: Solo
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing